Towing with 2014 Ford escape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3amigos

Hi, we are looking at a Rockwood A213hw.  Weight is 2465, with hitch weight of 374.  Ford is rated for 3500 with 350 hitch weight.  I?ve been told I?d be ok with a weight distributing hitch.  I would appreciate your insights on this. Thanks!

We have a Winnebago Winnie Drop with weights almost exactly like the Rockwood you are considering. We used to tow it with a Nissan Quest which has a max tow rating of 3500lbs. The Quest did okay but I bought Nissan Frontier that tows it a lot better.

Welcome to the Forum!

First, NEVER believe the salesman!

You may be able to tow it okay, but you will probably not be happy with how it tows.  Note this is a light car with a loaded camper that is heavier than the car.  Trailer brakes are a MUST, so you will need a trailer brake controller installed in the car.  Not expensive, but a heads up.

I would suggest a bigger tow vehicle.

The weight you quoted is the dry (empty) weight as it came from the factory.  It  will weight more than that even as it leaves the dealer sales lot!  When on the road with your gear, food, beverages, etc in the trailer it will be closer to its 3500 lb max gross weight.  Meanwhile, the Escape is loaded down with you, your family, the heavy WD hitch and the trailer tongue weight.  All that stuff decreases the available towing capacity somewhat.  I agree with the others - your Escape is going to be heavily loaded and marginal at best.

Personally, I would not attempt it. Trade up to an Explorer or look at smaller & lighter pop-up trailers.  A trailer with a GVWR (nor dry weight) under 3000 lbs would be suitable to tow.

Can you tow with that escape - yes but not that Rockwood even though its a hybrid its heavy and big - bigger than the escape
Smaller trailer or bigger SUV

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom