My power converter is over charging my two 6 volt house batteries at 24 volts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big_boss_repo

I'm living in a Damon daybreak. on and off I've been having problems with the batteries not charging. Lately my lights have been going very dim and my generator wont start without the emergency start. When i checked my dual 6 volt house batteries they were both at 12 volts each (24 volts together) I have an iota load center with a 3045 charger and when testing it I get 24 volts. So from my understanding my load center has multiple options based on battery bank sizes and my load center is essentially overcharging my batteries at over twice their voltage. Is there a solution to fix this? or is my power converter trashed? This is my first time here so I'm not sure so I apologize if this is not the right area 

Try another meter.  If they were actually 24 volts combined, I would think you'd be blowing light bulbs.

I have seen what 12 volt automotive bulbs do at 24 volts and Rene is right. Think FLASH BULB.

For six volt batteries shoudl be wired in series/parallel for 12 volts (two pair)  not for 24 volts.

And at this point. I am fairly sure I'd need to be hands on to help you..

So from my understanding my load center has multiple options based on battery bank sizes and my load center is essentially overcharging my batteries at over twice their voltage.

Your load center does NOT have multiple voltage options - it always operates at 12v, which actually means in the range  of 12.6-14.5v. Regardless of the number or type of battery(s).

I suspect you did not measure the battery voltage correctly, since two 6v in series will produce 12v power and there is no way to make them produce 24v, with or without the converter/charger. And if the Iota was indeed producing 24v, your lights would be VERY bright (at least briefly) rather than dim!

Please tells us more about how you measured the voltage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom