Generator stops after disconnecting external power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Annapolis77

I have a Heartland Cyclone 4100.  I have had the battery go dead and have "jumped" the generator in able for me to work on it.  When I disconnect the jumper cable after starting the generator the generator stops.  I had installed a new battery as the old one had a dead cell and all was fine but I forgot to turn off the power for two days and when I came back the battery was dead so I jumped the generator in order to have power.  The generator starts fine but will not run without the jumper cables connected.  Is there something I am missing or if the battery has no charge the generator is not supposed to run?  I have taken the battery out and am charging it separately.)  Is there any way to bypass or fix this function.

First welcome to the forum. I don't know what the answer is on your issue so I'll leave that up to the experts.

The generator requires a 12v source to operate - it's fuel pump and (on newer models) a control circuit board needs power. In the usual RV set-up, once the genset is running the RV's own onboard converter/charger maintains 12v power even if the battery itself is dead.  Is your 12v converter not working or disconnected?

Once the generator is running everything inside works fine.  Once I charge the battery I have no issues with the generator running on its own along with everything inside so I gather the 12v converter is fine.  Are there any tests that I can run to check the converter?

Are there any tests that I can run to check the converter?
Sure. With the RV plugged to shore power or the genset running, check the voltage at the house battery(s). It should be 13.1v or better, typically 13.6v.

When the generator is running, the converter is producing 12v for the entire system, including the genset's own 12v needs.  Your problem appears to be when relying on battery only when trying to start the genset. A really dead battery can soak up the converter output for a short time, so you may have just tried to remove external power too quickly.  You might also have a poor quality connection from the battery/12v system to the genset, such that the genset only gets what it needs when the system voltage is well up.

Ok, the Generator FUEL PUMP (At least on Gasoline) is a 12 volt DC powered... When you are on SHORE power it is drawing from the converter.. In theory when you unplug it should draw from the battery.

OH and by the way you should NEVER start the generator WHILE connected to shore power.

IF you unplug immed after starting (Before the ATS does it's thing) then the converter shuts down
If one of the legs does not transfer the converter shuts down
If one of the breakers on the generator is tripped.. you guessed it the converter shuts down

If the converter works on SHORE, it **SHOULD** work on generator. 

Back
Top Bottom