Jeep left in gear catches RV on fire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martin2340

https://www.pottsmerc.com/general-news/20180414/fire-destroys-jeep-large-motorhome-off-route-100-in-upper-pottsgrove?source=most_viewed

Not good. At least no one was hurt. I don't pull a toad yet, but one thing I have learned here from the folks that have, is to use a second person to watch when forward motion starts to ensure everything looks good before continuing. If a second person isn't available, at least pull forward and then check for skid marks indicating something is wrong.

That's a shame. This is why I usually hook up when there isn't any distracting activities or chaos to divert my attention.
I learned the hard way on that matter, and it cost me the lose of 50' of 50 amp wire, and had to install all new connections for both the black and grey  tanks.

My wife usually is at the rear of the coach to do as kdbgoat said. She checks to make sure the towbar arms are locked, and that all of the toads wheels are turning.

Corky

My pre take off check list is:
1. Key Unlocked
2.Transmission Neutral
3. Parking Brake Off

My truck has a procedure in the manual involving shutting the truck off, shifting the transfer case to neutral, start the truck and place in drive to check for (no) forward movement. Shut the truck off and shift back to Park. Start the truck then shift to reverse and check for (no) rearward movement. Shut the truck off then shift to Park. As I drive away I start very slowly, with two "S" turns so I can see in the mirrors the toad front wheels track and all wheels turning, and I watch in the camera for the towbar pins to lock. After this I stop and apply full brakes for a couple seconds to charge the breakaway accumulator and watch for toad brakes applied indicator. To begin with I have a set routine I use during hookup, which I then repeat by touching each item.

One time I hooked up and failed to unlock the ignition on a Jeep that I had at the time. I got about 100' before I realized that something was wrong.  Fortunately not far enough to cause any damage. That's one time that I highly discourage talking with anyone when I am hooking up the tow car.  Too easy to miss a step.

That's a shame.  It looks like it was a nice motorhome.

We each have our own hookup chores.  Jerry does the outside tow bar, cables, etc. and I install the braking system inside the Jeep and go through the routine of making sure the transfer case is in Neutral.  When we're finished we both do a complete walk-around that includes tires, windows, antennas, underbay doors and the Jeep hookups.  We check one another's work and every now and then it pays off because one of us has forgotten to do something.  If someone interrupts this procedure we start over to make sure we don't miss anything important.

ArdraF

We both share in the hook up. Then we both doublecheck the cables and bars are all secure. Sheryl does the full Honda routine. Once done, she goes to the back of the Honda and checks the bikes on the rack. Then we do a lights, turn signals, breaks check, with Sheryl giving a thumbs up after each check. Every once in a while a turn signal or light doesn't come on and we redo the pin cord. Then start the process over again.

Once and only once, Bobby started the Honda routine and Sheryl finished it. Car was in Neutral, but still ideling. It was about 100 miles before we stopped and discovered it.  So now Bobby just does his part and Sheryl does hers.

i have lost a 50 amp cord myself and locked the keys in the Honda CRV with the engine running for 150 miles. I hope now that I have solved my self inflected wounds by doing a simple walk around the coach and Toad before I move the coach. You will be surprised how many things you will fine wrong.

Herbie

I do it all, I do the hooking and unhooking, the checking, and triple checking while my wife runs blocker from any interference in my concentration, lest I have to begin at square one. Susan talks to passerbys and folks meaning well who want to "help", allowing me to focus on the job at hand.

When it is all done and I've done my 3rd check, we both do another walkaround together. Susan is always outside the coach as I pull forward to make sure everything is working, locked in, and ready to travel.

It our system. I also travel alone quite frequently as Susan is still gainfuly employed, so doing it all myself is the best way for us/me.

One word...checklist.

I fly a King Air 350 aircraft for a living. An aircraft is a complicated machine, just like a motor home. We use a checklist on EVERY flight, without fail. Preflight, Engine Start, Before Taxi, Taxi, Before Takeoff, Takeoff, Climb, Cruise, Descent, Before Landing, Off the Runway and Shutdown checklists are used without fail.

I do the same thing with the motor home. It?s far too complicated a machine to try and remember everything without a checklist to make SURE everything is completed. A checklist would have prevented this.

Just curious if anyone was surprised that:

1)  The jeep caught fire at all.  I assume it was an automatic????
2)  The driver didn't notice the extra drag??
3)  The fire spread up to the coach?

I would not have guessed that would happen.  Most coaches would have a camera where you could see the toad.  You would think it would show something a miss!

I'm surprised the the coach had more damage than the Jeep. Seems that if the fire started at the front of the Jeep that it would move towards the rear/

I would guess a motorhome has a vacuum at the back, like a semi (aerodynamics). Anything immediately behind would have been drawn towards the coach.  ??? :-\

Fogetty said:
I would guess a motorhome has a vacuum at the back, like a semi (aerodynamics). Anything immediately behind would have been drawn towards the coach.  ??? :-\

Exactly. As the fire burned, the more heat if put on the back of the RV until it ignited as well.

A Traveler said:
One word...checklist.

I fly a King Air 350 aircraft for a living. An aircraft is a complicated machine, just like a motor home. We use a checklist on EVERY flight, without fail. Preflight, Engine Start, Before Taxi, Taxi, Before Takeoff, Takeoff, Climb, Cruise, Descent, Before Landing, Off the Runway and Shutdown checklists are used without fail.

I do the same thing with the motor home. It?s far too complicated a machine to try and remember everything without a checklist to make SURE everything is completed. A checklist would have prevented this.

There is a checklist tool on the tablet that came with my RVI brake.  I never set up or tear down without using this. Amazing how many times it caught some error. There are just too many things to remember for a vehicle that i am not using every day.

A Traveler said:
One word...checklist.

I'm a pilot also (private).
My daughter is working toward the airlines, she has all her ratings, CFI, CFII, and MEII, except the ATP. I've flown with her extensively. She even uses the checklist in the 172. She's currently instructing at a college in Tulsa. :D

I don't have a written checklist for the motorhome, but I do have a routine procedure.

In the Cub shown in my avatar, the runup checklist was usually a mnemonic (CIGARS), though we had a printed one on board too, but most other aircraft I've flown really needed you to use a checklist, and I certainly always taught my students to use them religiously (I didn't teach in the Cub, either)

The checklist in the King Air 350 is on the center screen multi-function display of the Garmin G1000 flight management system. I also have a laminated printed checklist, but I have never had to use it...yet.

The motor home checklist is on my IPad, customized for my coach and its systems.

One thing I have always done while pulling a toad: 

After hookup and when pulling out of the site or along the campground road, or even along a side road outside the campground, while going less than 5 mph I slip the trans of the MH into neutral and let it coast for a bit.....You can tell immediately if something is not right on the toad, ie tires not rotating properly.  I have always thought that forgetting to properly set up the transfer case in the Jeep and towing it down the road would not be good....This check in neutral verifies that at least the wheels are turning freely in the toad/Jeep.......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom