Towing 7000# TT with Ram 1500

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dcm1379

Ok I am new to towing trailer of that weight class towed alot of smaller ones, my question is do they rock around and push my truck around abit. I have installed air lift 1000 bags which helped lots as well I have husky wd hitch and sometimes run with 2 sway bars on as well and it still moves around. So for the next question is this normal do they move around?

Check your actual tongue weight. It should be 10% of the loaded trailer's weight at a minimum. closer to 15% is better. Have you check your hitch set-up since loading the trailer? I pulled 8200# of trailer with my Ram 1500, and another trailer that was 7000# without an issue. 8200# was maxing everything though. Unless your 1500 has a really low payload, you should pull that trailer easily. What brand of hitch are you using?

kdbgoat said:
Check your actual tongue weight. It should be 10% of the loaded trailer's weight at a minimum. closer to 15% is better.

Ditto: Need 10 to 15 percent of TT weight on the tongue. I pull a 6300 TT with my Ram and I haven't needed  sway control.  I once pulled a 2300 lb trailer that did not have enough tongue weight and the jerking almost took me off the road.

Tongue weight!  Here is how to determine YOUR actual tongue wt.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-determine-trailer-tongue-weight.aspx

I suspect this will fix your problem.

I use a husky round bar WD hitch with the side sway bar sometimes I run 2 of them.
No I have not actually weighed it that is the next step in the elimination process

Speed is about 60 mph it usually snaps back into place but sometimes I have to apply the trailer brakes. When it is happening sure tosses the truck around.

I agree, sure seems to be a tongue weight (or lack of) issue.  Where are your holding tanks, and how full are they?  if all the weight is behind the axles, that will impact your tongue weight and great a problem too. 

yes, they do "move" around a bit, however your truck is really maxed out at that weight level. there are some who would say you are just fine to go, but I have had personal experience towing 7000lb with a ram 1500 and it is not a comfortable tow compared to a Tundra or an F150
as you are at the upper end of the trucks capacity, you will find it very difficult to achieve a stable tow, i know you don't want to hear it, but you should really consider a better truck.

I am going to check the tongue weight to confirm it is or is not the issue, but was kind of leaning towards the truck as well after all the trailer weighs about the same as the truck. Have also considered going to a better wd hitch like the equalizer or the sway pro by reese, or going all out on a Hensley however if it is the truck and trailer having a wrestling match going down the highway not sure if that will resolve the issue.

solarman said:
yes, they do "move" around a bit, however your truck is really maxed out at that weight level. there are some who would say you are just fine to go, but I have had personal experience towing 7000lb with a ram 1500 and it is not a comfortable tow compared to a Tundra or an F150
as you are at the upper end of the trucks capacity, you will find it very difficult to achieve a stable tow, i know you don't want to hear it, but you should really consider a better truck.

Sounds like a Ram hater. I had a Ram 1500, and drive an F-150 every day as that's what the company provides me. I don't see where an F-150 would pull that 7000# trailer any better. To the OP, there's nothing wrong with your Ram pulling a 7000# trailer unless you have a particularly low payload on that particular truck.

kdbgoat said:
Sounds like a Ram hater. I had a Ram 1500, and drive an F-150 every day as that's what the company provides me. I don't see where an F-150 would pull that 7000# trailer any better. To the OP, there's nothing wrong with your Ram pulling a 7000# trailer unless you have a particularly low payload on that particular truck.
Exactly what I was thinking.  And you sure are not going to get more towing capacity out of a little Toyota than a 1500 Ram.  If you get another truck, get a Ram 2500 and you will have no problems pulling that trailer.

My son has a 2014 Ford F150 but when he wants to tow something, he borrows my 2009 Dodge Ran 1500. He feels the Ram is more comfortable and has a bit more power than his 5.4 V-8.

kdbgoat said:

FWIW I currently own a RAM 2500 CTD so i'm not a hater. i have had Tundra, F150 and 1500 in the past. my comments are
based on my real world experience.

gravesdiesel said:
Exactly what I was thinking.  And you sure are not going to get more towing capacity out of a little Toyota than a 1500 Ram.  If you get another truck, get a Ram 2500 and you will have no problems pulling that trailer.

Sounds like a Toyota hater...  just FYI.. the Tundra SR5 5.7 IS a much better tow platform than the RAM 1500 .. hands down.
it's all about payload.. that's the 1/2 ton Achillies heel.. towing at or very close to the max is not a good thing.

solarman said:
FWIW I currently own a RAM 2500 CTD so i'm not a hater. i have had Tundra, F150 and 1500 in the past. my comments are
based on my real world experience.

And my comments were also based on my real world experience.

Well I am no professional but payload according to dodge on my truck 2017 quad cab 4x4 3.55 gears is 1580 lbs so if a trailer at approx 700-800# tongue weight is to close to the playload to make the truck unstable with wd hitch and sway control etc then ram should rethink the 1500 all together. We are talking a trailer that going down the road is probably 6500# and the truck should be able to handle that easily.

To add to my above post that is also with an empty box and one person in the truck. This thing still gets pushed all over the road. Maybe weigh the truck up to make it heavier.

Dcm1379 said:
Well I am no professional but payload according to dodge on my truck 2017 quad cab 4x4 3.55 gears is 1580 lbs so if a trailer at approx 700-800# tongue weight is to close to the playload to make the truck unstable with wd hitch and sway control etc then ram should rethink the 1500 all together. We are talking a trailer that going down the road is probably 6500# and the truck should be able to handle that easily.

You are correct. It should be able to handle that TT easily.  It makes me think that there is some issue with the TT.  Do you have any buddies that could connect to your TT and see if it occurs also with their tow vehicle.  Just thinking of ways to identify the source of the problem. I am still suspecting too low of a tongue weight.

Well did the 4:1 ratio with the scales and got 864# tongue weight and the trailer in the 6500 - 7000# max more then likely if the 5800# dry is accurate I am going to say 6500 or less either way the 864 is right in the ball park and should be fine for a stable tow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom