Towing 7000# TT with Ram 1500

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dcm1379 said:
Well I am no professional but payload according to dodge on my truck 2017 quad cab 4x4 3.55 gears is 1580 lbs so if a trailer at approx 700-800# tongue weight is to close to the playload to make the truck unstable with wd hitch and sway control etc then ram should rethink the 1500 all together. We are talking a trailer that going down the road is probably 6500# and the truck should be able to handle that easily.

thats according to Dodge - what does the yellow decal say on the drivers side door jam? That will tell you specifics for your truck looks like this

Attachments

• IMG_20160306_092354.jpg
    IMG_20160306_092354.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 22
Do you have LT tires on it?  Are the tires inflated to near maximum sidewall pressure?  Do you understand how to adjust the sway bars?

Yes I have LT tires and yes they run close to sidewall rating. And yes I do know how to adjust the sway bars. It still moves around I wonder if it's just the travel trailer normal movement I hear is so common. Didn't have that issue with my old one it was very stable but the truck out weighed it.

Have you checkedto see if your tt axles are spaced the same? (Ie: have the same space between the tt wheels on both sides) and both at the same distance from the hitch?
If they're even side to side and on set is back a bit that could create a dog tracking event or if one axle is out then that would create an unstable tow.

Im just stabbing in the dark here as I havent towed our tt yet, but drive a truck for a living.  Lots if reading has shown me that the issues mentioned above have been others experiences towing their tt.

Also, Im interested in this topic as I have a 2017 ram 1500 with the 3.92 gear ratio payload is 1493lbs and just bought a trailer that will weigh approximately 7000# loaded...

Have not checked that however you are right if the axles are out it will create the unstable tow. I will try to measure it tomorrow.

kdbgoat said:
Sounds like a Ram hater. I had a Ram 1500, and drive an F-150 every day as that's what the company provides me. I don't see where an F-150 would pull that 7000# trailer any better. To the OP, there's nothing wrong with your Ram pulling a 7000# trailer unless you have a particularly low payload on that particular truck.
You don't have to be a Ram hater to speak the truth. Facts are facts.
If your work truck F150 doesn't have the correct configuration (engine, gear ratio, springs, tires, tow package) then yeah, it's going to struggle with a 7,000lb trailer. But if it is a late model with the 3.5 ecoboost, tow package and 11,500lb tow rating, you would be singing a different tune. For all we know, you may have a 2002 F150 with a 4.2 v6.
The OP has a 2017 Ram, probably a beautiful truck (I like the looks of them myself), but if it doesn't have the right packages on it, then it might not be the right track for the job.

Dcm1379 said:
Ok I am new to towing trailer of that weight class towed alot of smaller ones, my question is do they rock around and push my truck around abit. I have installed air lift 1000 bags which helped lots as well I have husky wd hitch and sometimes run with 2 sway bars on as well and it still moves around. So for the next question is this normal do they move around?
What does the sticker on your truck's door jam say? Can you post a photo of it?
Are your trucks tires aired up properly?
Is the trailer dead level?
What brand of tires are on the trailer? If they are the cheap Chinese tires, you might want to change them out, I recommend Carlisle's.
Is the swaying occurring when you are passing another vehicle or another vehicle is passing you?
One thing you can try is adding a couple hundred more pounds to the front of the trailer to increase tongue weight. I would do this first, because this costs the least and is the easiest thing to do.

Stewie Griffin said:
What does the sticker on your truck's door jam say? Can you post a photo of it?
Are your tracks tires aired up properly?
Is the trailer dead level?
What brand of tires are on the trailer? If they are the cheap Chinese tires, you might want to change them out, I recommend Carlisle's.
Is the swaying occurring when you are passing another vehicle or another vehicle is passing you?
One thing you can try is adding a couple hundred more pounds to the front of the trailer to increase tongue weight. I would do this first, because this costs the least and is the easiest thing to do.

Ok not the handiest with posting photos but I can tell you GVWR of 6800lbs 3900 lbs front and rear axle and payload 1430 lbs thats everything including tongue weight So yes I am running it to the limit in some areas.
Truck Tires are Good year light truck tires aired to 60psi side wall says 80 psi
Trailer tires are Rainer Load range D and they are nitrogen filled to 65lbs just like the side wall says. don't know about the quality never heard of them before.
Have only noticed the sway above 60 mph and usually when someone is passing me after does anyone ever travel less then 60mph .... :)
Weighed the tongue and got a little over 800lbs I dont know exactly the weight of the trailer as there is not a scale in my area. but gross weight {manufacturer) which means nothing really is 7500lbs I am guessing trailer should weigh around 6500-7000lbs max at present {empty tanks} next time I'm out going to fill the water tank which will add about 400lbs to the total weight as well as a little more on the tongue.
As well I will have the proper WD hitch bars did have the wrong bars were not heavy enough.

Dcm1379 said:
Ok not the handiest with posting photos but I can tell you GVWR of 6800lbs 3900 lbs front and rear axle and payload 1430 lbs thats everything including tongue weight So yes I am running it to the limit in some areas.
Truck Tires are Good year light truck tires aired to 60psi side wall says 80 psi
Trailer tires are Rainer Load range D and they are nitrogen filled to 65lbs just like the side wall says. don't know about the quality never heard of them before.
Have only noticed the sway above 60 mph and usually when someone is passing me after does anyone ever travel less then 60mph .... :)
Weighed the tongue and got a little over 800lbs I dont know exactly the weight of the trailer as there is not a scale in my area. but gross weight {manufacturer) which means nothing really is 7500lbs I am guessing trailer should weigh around 6500-7000lbs max at present {empty tanks} next time I'm out going to fill the water tank which will add about 400lbs to the total weight as well as a little more on the tongue.
As well I will have the proper WD hitch bars did have the wrong bars were not heavy enough.
You're rear truck tires are way underinflated if you're only putting them at 60 when they call for 80. I highly recommend putting them at 75 while towing, if not a little more.
But you're going to notice the truck and trailer will get sucked into a vehicle that is passing you, then it pushes you away once it passes. This is multiplied when the passing vehicle is a semi. I think you're getting a little bit of tail wagging the dog happening and it starts when someone is passing you.

So you have to get your tires up to the correct pressure and your hitch weight right. I think your truck is up to the task? ..barely, but since you are at the truck's limit, you have to make sure everything is just right while towing. I would take some weight from the center/rear of the trailer and put it up front to increase tongue weight. Start with 200lbs and see how that works.

You would be surprised at how much side wall flex you have at 60psi in your truck's tires, that's definitely working against you.

I thank you for the advice and I will try that what can it hurt.

I have also been told that you should never inflate more then what the door jam says. that would make sense should it be the stock tires that were on the truck but they are not.

I have also been told that you should never inflate more then what the door jam says.

Hogwash. While the door jamb pressure is usually high enough for the rated load, or close to it, there is no reason not to go higher if circumstances warrant it and the tire & wheel are rated for it (stamped on the tire sidewall).  That said, there aren't many circumstances where the recommended psi shown on the tire safety placard is not sufficient.

And as you say, the placard psi only applies to the tires supplied with the vehicle. Probably works for any repalcement that is the identical size and type, but is totally meaningless for any other tire size or type.

Dcm1379 said:

I have also been told that you should never inflate more then what the door jam says. that would make sense should it be the stock tires that were on the truck but they are not.
Oh definitely. But you'll notice they want you to put them at 80psi "cold". Tire pressure will increase with heat as you're driving, but they account for that.
I put mine at 75psi at all times. I would never drop it below 70 while towing, my trailer has an extremely heavy pin weight, so I keep a close eye on it. I'd be all over the road if my tires were only at 60 while towing.

So if I am reading correctly Gary you are saying that inflating the tires above what it says on the door jam which is 44psi I beleive I will gain no more stability while under load,
but I am safe to do so as the tire itself says it will handle a higher pressure.

Sorry re read your comment and you are saying that going above is ok it at needed times....... think I got it.

Dcm1379 said:
So if I am reading correctly Gary you are saying that inflating the tires above what it says on the door jam which is 44psi I beleive I will gain no more stability while under load,
but I am safe to do so as the tire itself says it will handle a higher pressure.

Sorry re read your comment and you are saying that going above is ok it at needed times....... think I got it.
Okay, so the door jam sticker says your tires should be at 44psi? So you put aftermarket tires on? That's fine, but the 44psi spec tells me that maybe your truck doesn't have a towing package. I know you have air bags on it, but you probably have softer springs and lack sway control.

Not a huge deal as you're trailer is still within the truck's limits, but I think you can see all the factors at play here. There are a lot of things you can do to help your sway issue.

Good luck.

Yes door jam says 44 psi but the passenger tires that were on it are also rated for 80 psi on sidewall.
The other tires are LT truck tires and E rated and again rated for 80 psi

When I bought the truck it was not in my mind to be pulling a bigger trailer but with that said I don't believe I'm asking it to do something its not capable of doing.

So next time i am out i will ad more weight to the trailer.
Have the proper Hitch bars
Increase the air in the truck tires to about 70-75 psi

If none of that works then I have a line on an equalizer hitch with built in sway control, and if that doesnt work deal the trailer and go lighter and smaller or go with a Pro Pride or Hensley hitch.

You will find that that trailer is too much for that truck to handle comfortably, can it tow yes, are you within the trucks specs - probably maybe? I dont know your trucks exact spec, airbags dont help payload and the fact is thats a big trailer for any 1/2 ton, will the truck brake - i doubt it but it will be very hard on brakes and tranny. If your in southern ontario and not going far its doable but stay away from northern ont and western canada you wont like the winds or hills. the trailer will push you around some for sure, good news is the parts stores will get to love you . Ive done the same sort of set up in the past it will get old real fast and you will want to start budgeting for a truck upgrade.

Its not so much the weight of the trailer but its mass - you have 30x8 or 9ft which acts as a very big sail tugging you around and pushing you every oportunity it can

Dcm1379 said:
Yes door jam says 44 psi but the passenger tires that were on it are also rated for 80 psi on sidewall.
The other tires are LT truck tires and E rated and again rated for 80 psi

When I bought the truck it was not in my mind to be pulling a bigger trailer but with that said I don't believe I'm asking it to do something its not capable of doing.

So next time i am out i will ad more weight to the trailer.
Have the proper Hitch bars
Increase the air in the truck tires to about 70-75 psi

If none of that works then I have a line on an equalizer hitch with built in sway control, and if that doesnt work deal the trailer and go lighter and smaller or go with a Pro Pride or Hensley hitch.
I think you'll see a definite improvement in your towing experience, there will still be some white knuckle experiences, but go slow and take your time.

Dcm1379 said:

That is incorrect.  Tires get their load ratings from the amount of air in the tires and running with less air pressure will cause the LT tire to exceed the weight carrying  capacity of the tires and damage them.  Passenger tires are made for ride and will hit the weight capacity way before a Light Truck Tire will. 

Dcm1379 said:
I use a husky round bar WD hitch with the side sway bar sometimes I run 2 of them.

Are we talking the little light friction bars? They're quite frankly not made for a trailer of any size. While it may be tongue weight (or the inevitable NEED A BIGGER TRUCK!) posts I'm actually wondering if you're basically not running any level of effective sway control.

Adding tongue weight for testing given most TT's have their water tanks in the front - add water.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom