HELP!!!!! Possibly need a motor for my 2001 Georgie Boy motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angeleena

Hi everyone!! My 2001 Georgie Boy Ford V10 has most mechanics at a loss.  The fuel pump and sensor have been replaced, as soon as it gains speed it stops getting fuel and lights come on, if I shut it off and back on it goes for a few hours extra miles, it was suggested to replace the motor, I have already spent 3k and it is still the same problem.  Having a limited budget as a Widow of a Iraq war veteran, I am at a loss right now.  I live close to Austin, but it is broke down by Dallas and temp stored.  Has anyone had the same problems or an recommend a good facility in Dallas-Duncanville area.

Thank you for your husband's service and your sacrifice, and welcome to the forum.

Exactly what work have you spent the 3K on besides the fuel pump and sensor?

Find a honest to goodness decent mechanic now days can be tough.  First your mechanic needs to start checking things.  It almost sounds like vapor lock to me.  As a simple test, remove the gas cap and see how it drives.  If that cures it, then you need to replace the gas cap and see what happens.  If it still stops, then the vapor canister may be bad.  It aint rocket science, just time and paitemce. And who ever gouged you 3K is a crook for sure.

Well I dont think you need a engine it could be vapor lock could be anything from a sensor, module, or wiring. The first thing to do is figure out what it is missing to act up, spark, fuel, are the roads wet when it acts up, I would never take it back to whoever charged you 3k for a pump and sensor then says you need a new motor.

Not sure exactly what your symptoms are but I had a 454 Bounder which would literally shut down after driving for an hour or so. Very scary when you loose power steering etc. If I turned the key off and restarted, things would be good for a bit longer but the shutdown would reoccur. It was the ignition control module. Literally at $15 part. Had it replaced and never had the issue again.

Skeptical that you would need a new engine. Find another mechanic.

Could it be as simple as a fuel filter?  Sometimes they are tough to diagnose and not a waste of money to replace anyhow.  I agree, I'm skeptical it needs an engine. 

Agree with all of the above you need a new mechanic, get the problem diagnosed before you replace another part!
I would start at the battery and clean the connections all of them not just look at them disconnect clean lube and reassemble.
Then a good visual inspection looking for loose or sooty connections. What are the reasons for the complete engine replacement?
Other than low compression, blowing oil, water in the oil or a bearing knock why an engine??
Engines need fuel, ignition and compression to run determine what is lacking first, then why, and replace or repair the what.
My last engine no run was a crankshaft position sensor, 90$ one bolt one wire connection and on my way.

He replaced the fuel pump and a sensor. This suggests HE thinks it is a fuel issue.  Did he also replace any fuel filters?  And is the pump in tank or cam shaft (on engine) if it's cam driven the fuel pickup in the tank has a screen as well.

last time I heard that set of symptoms it was dead of winter and GAS LINE FREEZEUP

But in today's world of E-10 or well E anything bigger than about 1 or 2. Gas LIne Freezup no longer happens.

I have read where some new  fuel pumps have been known to be defective.  I think you need to find someone that can monitor the fuel pressure etc while it is going down the road and  quits. I'm pretty  sure you Don't need a new motor

I had a Jayco that died on me while headed to Oregon.  Fortunately (or maybe not)I was towed an RV repair shop was near by that replaced the fuel pump in the tank. Drove about 5 miles then engine died and was again tow back to the shop.  Long story short, it was fuel pump relay that was bad.

You need to arrange to have it taken to a Ford truck center!  A Ford dealership in the area that it's stored should be able to point you in the right direction for the truck center.  Suggesting to replace the engine is complete B.S.

Back
Top Bottom