Tow bar help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CAVGUY

I am currentley looking at buying a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 4WD. It has the pre-wired hook ups and tow bar base plates, also a break away system????
How do I know by looking at the base plates what Tow bar to buy <
Towing with a 2001 Winnebago Journey 36
Thanks,
Glenn

Attachments

• jeep trailhawk 3.jpg
    jeep trailhawk 3.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 57
You can check out the Roadmaster and Blue Ox Website to see if you have a match.

I think most modern towbars have ends that are changeable. You can order the proper ends that match your baseplate.

You might get better response if you could post a picture of your baseplate.

And on another note I have a Demco towbar for sale that I used to tow my Wrangler.

Corky

They aren't interchangeable, but there are adapters for all the major systems. Most use either the Blue Ox or Roadmaster base plate style, so if you look up the Trailhawk base plates on their sites you should be able to visually identify what it has. However, if you prefer a different brand of tow bar, you can use an adapter anyway.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
They aren't interchangeable, but there are adapters for all the major systems. Most use either the Blue Ox or Roadmaster base plate style, so if you look up the Trailhawk base plates on their sites you should be able to visually identify what it has. However, if you prefer a different brand of tow bar, you can use an adapter anyway.

Sorry if my post wasn't as accurate as it should have been. I replaced my Demco towbar and braking system for the ReadyBreak Elite. ReadyBreak offers a choice of ends to match various baseplates. It was my assumption that all manufactures had the same options. Here is a link to their website, scroll down towards the bottom of the page for the ends.
http://www.readybrake.com/store/c2/Aluminum_Tow_Bars.html

Corky

CAVGUY said:
I am currentley looking at buying a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 4WD. It has the pre-wired hook ups and tow bar base plates, also a break away system????
How do I know by looking at the base plates what Tow bar to buy <
Towing with a 2001 Winnebago Journey 36
Thanks,
Glenn

I have the same base plate and it's from roadmaster. You should have two adapters with it to hook up to standard tow bars. Not sure where you are but I have a nice roadmaster falcon 2 tow bar for sale and I would include the adapters you need for $275.00.

Attachments

• SAM_1607.JPG
    SAM_1607.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 44
Those look like the same low profile pin recepticals we have on our Acura. They're for the snap-in removable pins that connect to our Blue Ox tow bar.

Kev

BTW, it's a little hard to tell since it's near the edge of the picture, but it looks like that break away device is sitting sideways.  The pin should pull out to the front.  Maybe its just the camera angle.

Thank You all for the reply's and info. I am southeast GA.
I did see the break away switch sitting to the side. I will check it out.

Thanks,
Glenn

Break away switches are mounted with a single bolt so that they can pivot out of the way when not being used. However,  it should not be attached to the fascia unless there's something connecting it to the car's frame. If the baseplate comes off, the fascia will go with it and the switch with it and no break away brakes.  I know a guy that this happened to.

ChasA said:
Break away switches are mounted with a single bolt so that they can pivot out of the way when not being used. However,  it should not be attached to the fascia unless there's something connecting it to the car's frame. If the baseplate comes off, the fascia will go with it and the switch with it and no break away brakes.  I know a guy that this happened to.

It does pivot out and is on a single attachment point.

Thanks

jagnweiner said:
BTW, it's a little hard to tell since it's near the edge of the picture, but it looks like that break away device is sitting sideways.  The pin should pull out to the front.  Maybe its just the camera angle.
It is stowed that way.
It pivots out.

wijames2002 said:
I have the same base plate and it's from roadmaster. You should have two adapters with it to hook up to standard tow bars. Not sure where you are but I have a nice roadmaster falcon 2 tow bar for sale and I would include the adapters you need for $275.00.
The quick fit adapters were not with the Jeep.

It turns out it was a road master base plate system. I ordered the quick disconnect arms that mount to the tow bar.
Thanks for all the help

wijames2002 said:
how far are you from Brunswick, GA?

Back
Top Bottom