Goodyear Endurance vs Maxxis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott 3

I will be buying a set of four new tires in the coming weeks.  205-75-14.  I was leaning towards Maxxis but I am not finding distributors in this size in New England.  I kept looking and like what I've read so far about the Goodyear Endurance tires.  I would pick up a little more load capacity and speed rating.  Tirerack has the Goodyears and it is close to my job. I would appreciate any insight on both options.

Are you a regional RV traveler? Having replacement tires available in your travel areas is most important to most owners. Having to buy via delivery services can be very disadvantageous when a failure strikes away from home. You?ll normally end-up having to take a replacement from another brand.

Your particular size is available in LRC & LRD. However, not all manufacturer?s build the LRD.

My recommendation is to find a familiar brand that sells in volume (they will normally have tires with the most current build date) and is available at any regional tire retailer of big box store.

I also had 205/75 14inch on my trailer and recently replaced all four of the original chinese tires that came on the trailer... I went with the Goodyear Endurance and a week later headed to Arizona from Georgia... I put over 4000 miles on my travel trailer in a little over 17 days... No problems and the trailer towed great... One thing I would mention is that I chose to upgrade to a 215/75  14  More carrying capacity and I think the difference in price is about 5 bucks.  The Goodyear site has the 205 as $108 suggested price, and the 215 for $109...The 215 are rated at 2205 pounds each and the 205 is 2039....... You can check that out on the Goodyear site and even order them online and have them sent to the nearest goodyear dealer...  After trailering the travel trailer I am putting Endurance on my Boat Trailer as well....

I have had the Endurance for almost a year and 5,000 miles with no problems.

FastEagle, I am a regional most of the time but once or twice a year we have done some major cross country trips.  I agree that universal replacement is an added benefit as opposed to being tied to a mail order option.

I thought about going to the 204-75-15.  I haven't done the measurements but I assumed they would fit perfectly.  I did wonder if there would be any addition torque noticed in turns because of my dual axles. It would probably be negligible.

Thanks all

OBX said:
FastEagle, I am a regional most of the time but once or twice a year we have done some major cross country trips.  I agree that universal replacement is an added benefit as opposed to being tied to a mail order option.

I thought about going to the 204-75-15.  I haven't done the measurements but I assumed they would fit perfectly.  I did wonder if there would be any addition torque noticed in turns because of my dual axles. It would probably be negligible.

Thanks all
If you go to a 205 75 15 you would have to purchase rims and tires... By going to the 215 75 14 you will have almost the same tire capacity as a 205 75  15 without having to purchase rims... I  am very glad that I went to the 215's...More tire capacity and no problem with wheel clearance by changing to 15 inch rims...

I''ll have to research wheels.  I haven't done that yet.  I'm not sure what the key specs are.  I think my current wheels are aluminum.

ysidive said:
If you go to a 205 75 15 you would have to purchase rims and tires... By going to the 215 75 14 you will have almost the same tire capacity as a 205 75  15 without having to purchase rims... I  am very glad that I went to the 215's...More tire capacity and no problem with wheel clearance by changing to 15 inch rims...

The ST215/75R14 is .5" wider and .6" taller than the ST205/75R14. Its rim width tire fitment range is 6 - 7.5". So, the wheel needs to have a certified inflation pressure of 65 PSI for LRD tires and the tires need to have a rim width no less than 6.0".

On edit: Don't forget to insure the valve stem's PSI capability. 

As FastEagle said, 205/75R-15  IS A LARGER TIRE!  Plus the new rims. 

IMHO, you are far better off with a 215/75R-14, or even 225/75R14 if it fits the camper and the rim.  They will be a bit larger diameter and width than the current tire.  Going to  225/70 or 225/65 will increase tread with less increase in tire diameter, if these sizes are available.

How do I determine the rating of my valve stems and the certified pressure rating of my wheels?

OBX said:
How do I determine the rating of my valve stems and the certified pressure rating of my wheels?

For wheels 14" and smaller the valve stems will normally be the snap-in type and may have a maximum psi rating of 60 PSI. Others that look just like them will be rated at 65 PSI. They all should have a part number displayed on their body. It is recommended to upgrade to bolt-in stems when replacing your RV trailer tires.

Wheels, especially those provided as OEM may have their load and PSI specs listed on them somewhere. It's not a government requirement so not all will have the PSI info. However, by regulation the wheel manufacturer must have their name and the wheel part number displayed on all wheels. They are also required to provide specs on request form individual owners. Many have web pages on the WWW where you can research the wheel's part number.

Here is a reference by Dexstar. Note that all of their 14" wheels, have a rim size of 5.5". Not wide enough for the ST215/75R14 which requires a minimum rim width of 6".

http://www.dexstarwheel.com/products.pdf

According to the Goodyear web site the approved rim width for the215/75  14 endurance trailer tire is 5.5 inches to 7 inches with the 6 inch as the preferred...  But the tires will work fine with the5.5 if that is what the original tires are....You can purchase the higher pressure bolt in valve stems for about 3 bucks apiece from etrailer.com...  I recently upgraded to the 215's from the 205's put over 4500 miles on them with no problem...This was done in the First part of March... No complaints...

I replaced my tires with Carlisle Radial Trail hd tires . Their website the 205/75/14 LRD 2040lb [email protected] a 81mph max speed. the 215/75/14 LRC 1870lb max@65lb. Also 81mph speed rating. I chose the 215 as I didn't need the extra load. but what I was most sold on was the speed rating. not that I would ever tow at that speed, I wanted to have the higher rating as a safety factor. This is the only tire I found with this rating. I put over 5k on them without incident. hope this helps.

It definitely helps.  I should be making a purchase in about 3-4 weeks.  I have to check my wheels which I hope to do tomorrow.  Hopefully they can handle the higher pressure (65 vs 50).  I expect to buy higher pressure valve stems.  I'll order those in the next week or so.

I put new Goodyear Endurance tires on today.  I went with the stock 205/75/14s and got new high pressure valve stems.  I liked the idea of the larger tires but the articulation of the tires/axles in turns concerned me if I went bigger.

$100 per tire before mounting charges.  The dude tried to charge me  $120 each but that wasn't what I was quoted the other day. 

Back
Top Bottom