Help/Advise (Roof Repair)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

j3.luper

Hello All, I am preparing to re-coat my RV roof with EPDM Rubber Roof Coating System. While on the roof today laying down new lap sealant i found a bad part in the roof that looks to be deteriorating. I am wondering what is the best way to repair without having to replace the whole roof. I do feel some rotting but only about 8" around the open area. please see pictures. i just bought this rv used a couple weeks ago and trying to get it back into shape. Thank you in advance!!

Attachments

• IMG_0247 (1).JPG
    IMG_0247 (1).JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0248 (1).JPG
    IMG_0248 (1).JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 60
It's hard to tell from a picture of a small section, but if it were me I would cut back the rubber roof section in that area first to see how much damage there is.  If there is indeed a soft/rotted section that's small, it shouldn't be too difficult to cut that out and then replace it with some luan plywood. Afterwards you can glue the rubber back down and then seal the seams (and that bad edge) with some Eternabond tape before you seal the roof with the roof coating.  In the long run it will probably be for the best. Look around on the site to see how others have fixed their roof issues for some ideas.  Good luck!

Honestly, I would consider removing the whole rubber roof and redoing it. If its rotting in one area, the rest is often shortly behind, IMO. If you do it yourself, I would plan a solid weekend. Get a few disposable utility knives and an oscillating multitool with the dullest blade you can fine. The serrated knife attachment from Harbor Freight works well without causing accidental damage. If you put a whole new roof down, you will minimize the risk of future leaks if you missed a weak spot.

I have an aluminum roof and the previous owner applied sealant over the old stuff that was rotting. Well, the rotting sealant ate through the new stuff and it started causing leaks all over. I ended up having to patch an awful lot of spots on the roof and its easier to see them on an aluminum roof than rubber. 

Adding to what BinaryStar posted....You'll need to expose the wood around the soft area of the roof and keep peeling  back the rubber until you no longer see any stained wood, which is evidence of water intrusion and expansion.  If you're replacing any wood, be sure the replacement wood spans the roof framing members for maximum support. It's also important that you thoroughly dry out the damaged area using forced air so that you don't trap any moisture that has seeped into the insulation. If you trap any moisture, it's just going to re-rot the new wood.
You can buy EPDM rubber roofing material by the foot if you need to replace just a section of the rubber roof membrane, but you will also need the associated bonding glue and primer to insure a good bond and seal to the new wood as well as a good seam tape (Eternabond) where your repairs join the existing roof membrane
The goal is to insure you have a good base for the EPDM coating to adhere to and no structural issues underlying that will come back and bite you in the future.

Replacing the entire rubber roof membrane after repairing the roof is a major job requiring removal of the awning and all roof vents, AC unit, etc in order to lay the new membrane and get all the air bubbles out.  If you've got the funds, time and facilities, it's the best way to insure a long lasting repair.

Years back I did the EPDM coating on a Coleman TT that had a bad leak from a failed AC unit roof seal. Had to replace the wood from the rear of the TT to just past the AC unit, about 1/3 of the roof. Cut the rubber roof membrane, replaced the wood and applied a new rubber roof membrane (found a RV repair place that sold me a scrap piece of the length I needed), got it glued down and sealed the seam, then applied the EPDM coating to the whole roof. CLEAN, CLEAN CLEAN the roof before applying the coating.  Did I mention Cleaning the roof?
Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom