DISH comes through for RV'ers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NY_Dutch

I just received an email from Dish that will make changing locals while traveling even easier than using the chat system:

You asked. We listened. Update your local channels now with the MyDISH App!

Whether you?re traveling, tailgating, or RVing, as a DISH Outdoors customer, you can now update your local channels by visiting the DISH Outdoors page in the MyDISH App. Follow the instructions below to enjoy an even better experience!

Download the MyDISH app from the App Store or Google Play Store.
    Enter/Create your Online ID to log in to the app
    Open the Services tab
    Select Local Channels in the DISH Outdoors section
    Click the Manage Locals button
    Follow the step by step instructions on the screen

Hi Dutch, is this only on the pay as you go.
I can find the outdoor button but nothing on local channels. I am not using the rv now just at home with my normal dish account. I have used the chat system (suggested by you) and has worked ok to change locals but the app would be easier to do.

Robert K said:
I can find the outdoor button but nothing on local channels. I am not using the rv now just at home with my normal dish account. I have used the chat system (suggested by you) and has worked ok to change locals but the app would be easier to do.

I really don't know what the access criteria is, Bob. When I got the email from Dish about it, I installed the app and there it was. If you're lucky, maybe Customer Service or Tech Support can give you more particulars. I've tried it to the extent of seeing where to make the change, but I haven't actually made a change yet since we're going to be in our current location for awhile longer.

I used that new feature a couple of weeks ago. It did take a while for the change to take effect though. And thpe last step iin the process wants you to go into the receiver's menu to get a location code and put it in. But because the change had not yet taken effect, the code i put in was for the last place i was. So, I called Dish and before I could tell the person about the problem,  my locals changed. I apologized for my impatience. So the moral of the story is to allow 20 minutes or so for the change to take effect.  And just skip getting the location code.

That's good to hear, Chas! I haven't actually needed to make a change yet, but I'll keep the location code skip in mind when I do. Thanks for the tip!

What I do to force a download of the new local channel program guide is to go to the Menu and select the "Point Dish" option (press 6-1-1 from the opening menu page) and then select "check dish" and "test".  Once the test completes select "done" and then cancel out of the other screens.  This will force the DVR to download a new program guide with all the new local channels.

Robert K said:

We have an Outdoor account but don?t have access to change the service address on the app. I needed to change it a couple days ago so asked about the app over chat. The rep said that right now only accounts that pay in advance such as the ?pay as you go? have the option. They plan to make it available to all but don?t know when.

Vicki

We move around a lot and with our roof mounted Dish antenna satellite acquisition is now a breeze. However, changing local channels has been problematic. You can't do it on line via chat and sometimes you get a rep who doesn't quite know how. When we tried changing from Phoenix to LA I spent 58 minutes on the phone trying to get someone to make the switch. The rep (reluctantly admitting he was new) continued to try and set up an appointment for some kind of realignment. Gave up and called back the next day. After 38 minutes and a referral to a seasoned rep, we got the locals changed.

I downloaded the Dish app and they made sure my account was a Dish outdoor account but still not convinced I can do this via the app. Our RV Dish account is the only one we have. Will see how things progress but the last two times I have called Dish to change locals it has been a frustrating disaster. Here's hoping things get easier.

We move around a lot and with our roof mounted Dish antenna satellite acquisition is now a breeze. However, changing local channels has been problematic. You can't do it on line via chat
we always update through the online chat. Much easier and faster than going through all the telephone prompts before talking to a live person. Locals usually take about 15 minuets to update.

Dragginourbedaround said:
we always update through the online chat. Much easier and faster than going through all the telephone prompts before talking to a live person. Locals usually take about 15 minuets to update.

Yep, chat has always worked well for us too...

Since early 2017 the chat session with Dish Network has worked really well.  I almost always get a rep on the chat session that quickly is able to change my service address.  Prior to 2017 I used to have a hit and miss with the rep.  Some times it would work and sometimes it would not.

I think it also helps that I start off my chat message with "I am in an RV and we have changed our location and need our service address changed to...."

I think Dish updated their computer prompts for the reps so they can more easily find the correct directions. 

It is good to keep in mind that almost always with large companies, when you call for help, the reps are just working off a computer screen.  If humans that did the computer programming have not made the computer prompts friendly to the reps things don't work well.

Al, how do you ID yourself in a chat session?

I?ve been using phone support to update locations.  Most of the time they get it right.

Tom

Also here is the chat session message I use to change my service address:

We are in a RV and have changed our location.  Please change my service address and my local channels to:  10657 S Avenue 9 E, Space 29C,  Yuma, Arizona 85365

I save the above quote in a document on my laptop and just copy and paste it into the chat session.

I wanted to have the Yuma, AZ local channels so I went to RVParkReviews.com and picked an RV Park in Yuma to get an address for the chat session info.  It is not necessarily a place we stayed at.  Just an easy way to get an address. 

Some or most of the time the customer service rep changes our billing address to the new service address.  It has never kept the automated billing from charging our CC though.  I think Dish's computer system defaults to keeping the service address and billing address the same unless the CS rep clicks a box to not change the billing address.

Close, Al... The screen the rep sees has a prechecked box to make the billing and service addresses the same, so the rep has to uncheck it for the service address only change. The problem comes in when they fail to uncheck the box before entering the new service address.

Just used the My Dish app to update my locals. Simple and quick. The app automatically gets your location from your phones location services and then you type in your Location ID which is in your menu. Took maybe a couple three minutes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom