Is a DC to DC charger any better than a MPPT controller?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermanotorious

Got an email from etrailer about this charger

https://www.etrailer.com/Battery-Chargers/Redarc/331-BCDC1225D.html

don't know much about these

EDIT

watched their little video, I suppose if you had no solar panels it might be worth it- maybe, but since my panels kick tail at keeping my batteries topped off, I don't need to spend this money, and it's nuts you have to run 6ga wire

This is a MPPT controller, you can install it between the solar panels and the house batteries and it will act like a MPPT controller.

It also takes an input from the vehicle alternator.  It will then charge the house batteries from the charging current the alternator is putting into the vehicle batteries.

Of course, a piece of wire and a relay will also charge the house batteries from the engine alternator.  The advantage to using this is if you have a long charging wire between the house and vehicle batteries, like a trailer connected to a tow vehicle.  Using the MPPT controller connected from the vehicle battery may boost the charging rate into the house batteries as it compensates for voltage losses along the long wire run.

This is basically a buck/boost DC power supply also acting as a battery isolator
so it will charge batteries of like voltages.

I have something similar to this charging my 12V tongue battery.

a MPPT controller is not intended for this purpose.

Back
Top Bottom