Weight distribution- name brand VS knock off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermanotorious

I have the Harbor Freight weight distribution bars and have been pleased with them. They are "rated" at 1,000 lbs tongue weight and my tongue weight is 1,200 - 1,300 lbs, I haven't had an issue. But since I found out my 1,000 lb hitch was no good and have since ordered a 1,700 lb hitch, I got to thinking about the weight distribution system. I'm looking at the Curt C17057 which boasts 1,400 lb tongue weight. Inspecting the photos, it looks IDENTICAL to the Harbor Freight kit, right down to the welds.

I'm genuinely wondering if I should order the Curt system, or if I'm fine with the HF, I'm hoping someone has some real world comparison data as I can sit back and think about peace of mind etc on my own.

I would say if the HF hitch has been serving you well, why change?

Since Harbor Freight doesn't build hitches (or anything else), somebody made that hitch for them as a private label brand. Whether it is built to the same standards as a different-label version is a tougher call, but typically it's the same without the OEM brand warranty and customer service.

I cant speak for HF specifically but a lots of Chinese knockoffs are made with just cheap pot metal. Curt makes a quality product with a great warranty. You have a $50,000 truck and trailer why would you risk it with a $5 hitch when you know a $10 hitch gives you peace of mind and a warranty thats good for 10yrs and probably 2or 3 more trailers as you get bored with what you have lol

Back
Top Bottom