Alaska HWY Boodocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
According to the MilePost boondocking in turnouts and gravel pits is illegal in British Columbia. For those that have driven the highway, what has been your experience in British Columbia and Yukon? We will be traveling in late August and early September. Class C motorhome (26 foot) Thanks in advance!

Yeah, nothing is free in BC! That's why they commonly say that BC stands for Bring Cash.  ;D

No experience with that particular stretch of road, but if you use Android, there is the UC Public CG application in the play store that has all kinds of free and low-cost public campgrounds. The application covers US and Canada, but not Alaska. I'm not affiliated with the authors in any way, but I do find it an amazing resource.

Frank.

AStravelers said:
In 2016 we traveled to/from Alaska and spent probably 6-9 nights with overnight parking in pullouts & gravel pits with no problems. 

Go to our blog, the index page for our trip, and read the first 3 entries and the last 2 entries for our experiences i BC. 
http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/2017/01/alaska-trip-index-april-26september-6.html

Took a quick peek at your blog last night and it looks like it has a lot of very helpful information. Thanks so much for sharing!

Many BC Provincial parks are beautiful.  We loved everyone we stopped at.  heavily wooded, many w lake views, lightly used.

We have done the AK highway quite a few times in a 29 foot Class C.  The best thing to do when going through BC is camp (or at least stop) at Liard River Hot Springs Provincial Park.  Plan that to be your only overnight stop in BC.  Visiting the hot springs is a highlight for the trip (great scenery and animals - and very relaxing).  There are two Provincial campgrounds nearby (high quality campgrounds).  The time you travel in Yukon and Alaska you can just camp off the road.

Unless you enter BC on highway 2 near Dawson Creek plan for more than one overnight stay in the province. Even DC to Liard Hot Springs is a long push. You can stop and grab some sleep in turnouts but don't set up a multi day camp. If you pull off in an active gravel pit you want to be away before the work day starts.

Why push it?  BC is beautiful and we enjoyed it just as much as Alaska.  So take a few days going through BC.  We did not find a BC park we did not like.

Attachments

• 030528 02 Our site at Cultus Lk Prov Pk B C s.JPG
    030528 02 Our site at Cultus Lk Prov Pk B C s.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 030529 02 Camp at 10 Mile Lake s.JPG
    030529 02 Camp at 10 Mile Lake s.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 030531 14 View frn our site at Kinaskan L s.JPG
    030531 14 View frn our site at Kinaskan L s.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 66
Liard Hot Springs  -  FYI

Attachments

• 030626 01 Laird Hot Springs s.JPG
    030626 01 Laird Hot Springs s.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 030626 02 Len & Jo in hot springs s.JPG
    030626 02 Len & Jo in hot springs s.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 030626 03 Hot Springs sign s.JPG
    030626 03 Hot Springs sign s.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 47
SeilerBird said:
Beautiful photos Len and Jo, I am jealous. ;D
Our Alaska trip was really a great trip.  I would love to do it a second time.  For the most part the weather was great and good for taking pictures.

Tons of pictures.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wms7B216pGw

we just came through, spent seven nights boondocking on the Alaska hwy, had no problems, we always stopped early to check out the site, sometime we would have guest in the morning( other campers)

Len and Jo said:
Our Alaska trip was really a great trip.  I would love to do it a second time.  For the most part the weather was great and good for taking pictures.

Tons of pictures.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wms7B216pGw

Really enjoyed your video

Thanks for the video! As we live in Calgary, some of those shots around Banff and Jasper are quite familiar to us. When I was growing up in Vancouver, British Columbia, we went to Cultus Lake often. The rest of my family lives in Edmonton, so we are familiar with the Yellowhead Highway, and Valemont and area. Was nice to see further north. One of these days I'm tempted to drive North through the Yukon to the Arctic Ocean. Gotta determine if that is feasible or not. I see that the Alaska highway is mostly paved.  :)

Frank B said:
Thanks for the video! As we live in Calgary, some of those shots around Banff and Jasper are quite familiar to us. When I was growing up in Vancouver, British Columbia, we went to Cultus Lake often. The rest of my family lives in Edmonton, so we are familiar with the Yellowhead Highway, and Valemont and area. Was nice to see further north. One of these days I'm tempted to drive North through the Yukon to the Arctic Ocean. Gotta determine if that is feasible or not. I see that the Alaska highway is mostly paved.  :)
Yes, you can drive from Dawson City, YT to the Arctic Ocean.  Just take the Dempster Hwy about 20 miles SE of Dawson City to Inuvik, NWT (North West Territory).  At Inuvik you pick up the Inuvik?Tuktoyaktuk Highway https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuvik%E2%80%93Tuktoyaktuk_Highway to the Arctic Ocean.  All gravel road.  Some sections may have significant washboard and dips.  If the road is wet, it can be very slippery. The entire road is raised about 10-15 feet above the permafrost to keep from melting the permafrost and having the road sink into the ground.  If you are not real careful and drop a tire off the edge the chances are you will slide all the way down to the ground. 
We drove the first 45 miles to Tombstone Territorial Park and really loved our visit.  We think Tombstone rivals Denali NP in Alaska.  Great hiking on the tundra, wonderful views, and most importantly to us no crowds.  Granted you don't have the possibility of seeing Mt Denali (only about 25% of the visitors see the mounting) and there is no bus ride with chances of seeing lots of wildlife.  We did see a large blonde grizzly at Tombstone and some smaller wildlife.
Link to our trip to Tombstone Territorial Park: http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/2016/09/tombstone-territorial-park-yt-august-11.html

AStravelers said:
Yes, you can drive from Dawson City, YT to the Arctic Ocean.  Just take the Dempster Hwy about 20 miles SE of Dawson City to Inuvik, NWT (North West Territory).  At Inuvik you pick up the Inuvik?Tuktoyaktuk Highway https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuvik%E2%80%93Tuktoyaktuk_Highway to the Arctic Ocean.  All gravel road.  Some sections may have significant washboard and dips.  If the road is wet, it can be very slippery. The entire road is raised about 10-15 feet above the permafrost to keep from melting the permafrost and having the road sink into the ground.  If you are not real careful and drop a tire off the edge the chances are you will slide all the way down to the ground. 

Yeah, looks like it would be an interesting trip. And, it is closer to Tuktoyaktuk from here than it is to New York.  ;D

I don't think I would be interested in taking my truck and 30 foot travel trailer that far, however. If we did it, I'd probably buy an older Class C, take that, then sell it when we got back.  Google says 2 days driving, but that would be 24 hours a day. I'm thinking it would be much closer to a week or more on the road one way. I'm also guessing that one would have to take extra Jerry cans of fuel, and multiple spare tires. I think I may be getting a bit old for that kind of Adventure.

Frank

Back
Top Bottom