Fuel tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Streetracer

I need help! Just purchased a 1978 Dodge Robinhood, 26' 440 engine without a gas tank. I can't find any specs. Or info. On the size etc. I can't call around without knowing what I need or what will fit. What does it look like & ? Gallons, size? I've been looking and sitting for 2 wks. Need used and low cost.... can anybody help me? A.S.A.P!

Streetracer said:
I need help! Just purchased a 1978 Dodge Robinhood, 26' 440 engine without a gas tank. I can't find any specs. Or info. On the size etc. I can't call around without knowing what I need or what will fit. What does it look like & ? Gallons, size? I've been looking and sitting for 2 wks. Need used and low cost.... can anybody help me? A.S.A.P!

Since you want used, this means either an RV salvage yard or regular auto junk yard. Unless someone here has your specific rig which is unlikely, you're probably going to have to crawl under your rig, measure the available area (height, width, length) where the old tank used to be, along with filler location, then start visiting the salvage yards. You may find tanks from similar year utility vans that might work. You can try calling a Chrysler dealer and see if they have the info for the tank that came on a 1977-78 chassis. If they have a part number you could research the specs for that tank, then see if you can find a used one at a salvage yard.

As a side note, in my opinion buying a used gas tank may not, in the end, be a money saving choice. You could find exactly the right tank, but that has been sitting for many years with water in it. It could be filled with rust causing you all sorts of (possibly expensive) headaches down the road (leaks, clogged fuel filters and lines, clogged carb/injectors [pretty sure yours is carb, others would know better], etc etc) Just saying.

Good luck in your search. Welcome to the forum.

I just looked that unit up online, and it is built on a Dodge van chassis. Don't they ordinarily use the stock gas tanks in those?

Frank.

Frank B said:
built on a Dodge van chassis. Don't they ordinarily use the stock gas tanks in those?

I had a Tioga on a Dodge, roughly the same year, and I couldn't remember. Seemed like it was more in the 30s so I was thinking it was an aftermarket tank but I could be wrong - been too long  ::)

Arch Hoagland said:
So have you ever had the engine running?

Just was I was thinking. 
I'd start by using a 5 gallon gas can, and if the tank was removed, probably rusted, I certainly would replace any / all fuel filters.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom