Water Heater Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Love2getmuddy79

Hey all! We bought a 93 Skyline Layton last year and the only thing that is not working is the water heater... We live without it but would love to get this puppy working! I definitely have propane at the heater, can light the pilot but seems to have very low pressure and doesn't heat up the thermocouple. I have replaced the thermocouple and have tried to make adjustments to the propane flow on the main control valve. Also have blown out both pilot piping and burner piping. The pilot will not stay lit. My first question would be could something be wrong with the main control valve that is not allowing enough lp to get to the pilot? My second question is based on the age of this thing (not sure if this water heater has ever been replaced!) could a new unit potentially solve all my problems? Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks so much! Neil

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1524107026219.jpg
    FB_IMG_1524107026219.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 12
  • FB_IMG_1524107040387.jpg
    FB_IMG_1524107040387.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 16
Things to check:

Gas pressure.  But you said the other gas appliances work so maybe not.
Gas orifice.  (I use a guitar string that just fits through the hole, and alcohol)
Mixture.  Adjust it to where it just starts 'roaring'.
Corrosion on the connections.
If it's a Suburban check the edge connector on the control board.
If it's an Atwood check the spade connectors going to the control module.

Hi 8muddy, thanks for the reply. To be honest I don't notice any difference when I adjust the screw that should adjust the propane flow. Pilot flame seems low no matter where it is positioned. It's an old Atwood unit I believe...

How would I go about checking my gas pressure? The furnace is about 6 feet up from the water heater and works like a charm.

Gas pressure testing takes a special tool.. It might be easier to have a pro do it.

But.. There is a spider that likes the smell of natural gas. Do not know for sure about Propane but I know it loves Natural Gas.. Likes to nest in the orifice.  cleaning fixes it.

Just to be clear, you are sure this is a pilot light type heater and not DSI? And the pilot lights and stay lit ok, but never lights the main burner?

Get a free service manual (Atwood or Suburban, whichever you have) and start checking!  If an Atwood, make sure you are looking at the pre-2004 cause they made a substantial design change then.
http://bryantrv.com/docs.html#water_heater

Welcome to the Forum!

Last things first.  Yes, a new water heater could solve your problems assuming you have a good gas supply and 12VDC power to the unit, and 120VAC if dual power.  If we can help you get this one going, why spend the money?

Can you provide any information from the heater such as brand, model, manufacture date, or anything else still readable on the WH?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom