What is going on???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neal

We have two computers running windows 7 Home Premium. Let's call them 1 & 2.
We never let them run, or get online at the same time. We do not do email or roam the internet on 2. We use it strictly for business.

A couple days ago, 2 updated windows. It probably took 30 minutes before shutting down, then another 15 minutes to configure windows after rebooting.
Last nite we used 2 and everything seemed normal.  We also ran MalwareBytes and it checked clean.
This AM we used 2 and when we shut it down, it gave the message "shutting down" for 5 minutes or more, at which time we cut the power to our router. It took at least another 5 minutes, before it shut down.

We are totally in the dark about what is going on.
Looking for suggestions.

I'm convinced this is "normal" for Windows. My computer at work runs Windows 10 - when it has to have a restart after an update, I usually start it right before I leave for lunch. It generally takes half an hour to an hour.  :( ::)

I have Windows 7 Professional at home. Since I have battery backup, I let it run 24/7, and set it for maintenance  (virus scan, updates) during the wee hours, so it's ready to go when I wake up. I still restart it once a week to clear the cache, etc.

As long as it is checking clean, it should be OK. You ARE backing up your data, right?  ???

I've seen some similar update action on my Win 10 systems (3 of them). Seemed to take it a couple shutdown & reboot cycles to fully digest the previous major update.

Laptop running Win 10 took 2 days to update. I started to do my tax return and I had to wait for all the updates before i could install the software. My bother had a similar issue with win 10 and updates.

What seems strange to me is:
Computer 1, which we email & roam the internet with, so far, has not had similar (lengthy) problems.
Also, the two computers do not seem to update near the same days.

One of my Windows machines no longer updates due to not enough memory For me. that's a good thing

I am now using Chromebooks for all web work.  Way nicer. Faster. Easier to "Fix" if you get infected.

But not a lot of "offline" ability.

I don't recall win 7 behaving in that fashion before.
Win 10, yes. It can be very weird when it decides to update.
Win 7, generally is much more predictable.

It all depends on the size and complexity of the updates.  If you're on a slow network it can take forever.

Some updates create a whole new operating system and rename the old one to 'Windows.old'.  This can be deleted fairly easily to recover the space.  It's absolutely necessary on devices with small SSDs.

My 'work' computer and personal tablet both run Win 10.  Both boot from power off to password in less than 20 seconds.  Unless there are updates.  Refer back to my first  statement for those.

I have Windows 7 on my laptop. Same exact problem shutting down, sometimes 15 minutes or more.

If you do a Google search on it you'll see it's a common problem.

I'm curious why you don't have the two computers online at the same time? 

8Muddypaws said:
It all depends on the size and complexity of the updates.  If you're on a slow network it can take forever.

Not sure what is considered slow.
We just ran a speed test & it showed 21.5/2.0 Mbps

Arch Hoagland said:
I have Windows 7 on my laptop. Same exact problem shutting down, sometimes 15 minutes or more.

If you do a Google search on it you'll see it's a common problem.

I'm curious why you don't have the two computers online at the same time?

Strictly my theory. We figure we are less likely to get hacked on our financial transaction computer,  if we are not online or on the same network, with a computer that may be more likely to get hacked.

Neal said:
Not sure what is considered slow.
We just ran a speed test & it showed 21.5/2.0 Mbps

At home I get an average 200Mbps.  So yeah, that's slow compared to mine.  ;)

There are lots of other variables too.  The speed the processor.  Memory speed.  Disk type and speed.  Is automatic disk management disabled?  And most of all how often you let it update.  I worked on a computer a month ago that had 2 years of updates waiting to download and had no free disk space.  Even at 200 Mbps it took about 4 hours, plus all the time I spent deleting crapware.  (Don't buy a computr than has less than 64GB of disk.  The market is full of ones than have only 32.)

Bad news, there ain't no greener grass.  All operating systems have to be updated once in a while.  I have a Linux variant that runs in less than 1GB - it updates itself about 3 times a week.

8Muddypaws said:
At home I get an average 200Mbps.  So yeah, that's slow compared to mine.  ;)

There are lots of other variables too.  The speed the processor.  Memory speed.  Disk type and speed.  Is automatic disk management disabled?  And most of all how often you let it update.  I worked on a computer a month ago that had 2 years of updates waiting to download and had no free disk space.  Even at 200 Mbps it took about 4 hours, plus all the time I spent deleting crapware.  (Don't buy a computr than has less than 64GB of disk.  The market is full of ones than have only 32.)

Bad news, there ain't no greener grass.  All operating systems have to be updated once in a while.  I have a Linux variant that runs in less than 1GB - it updates itself about 3 times a week.
This computer is 5-1/2 years old. Probably same as me in people years, which is 80.

You are way above me on most of this stuff. Here is a little of what we have found on computer of concern.
4 GB memory
Hard disc 912 GB with 575 GB free
AMD A4-3420 APU
Running Win 7, 64 bit, Service pack 1
Windows experience index 4.9 out of possible 7.9
We have it set to notify us when updates available and normally let it update on computer shut down.

It may be too late to teach me anything, BUT,
Thanks to all for your info

Back
Top Bottom