Battery Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TrvlShell

We're very close to getting our first RV (a small travel trailer) and I'm trying to get a sense of our battery needs.  The dealer has indicated that it will come with an Interstate 24 battery (provided by the dealer).  We're trying to figure out if that battery will be good enough for now, of if we should look into seeing if we can upgrade the battery.  (We're not planning on getting a generator or solar panels initially).  I think for the most part, we'll be camping with electrical hookups, but we do have a couple of trips planned where we'll be dry camping for a few days (in state parks).  How long should we expect our batteries to last if we're careful with usage (I believe I've read we shouldn't take the battery below 50%)?.  We'd only be using the battery for lights (and probably only about 30 minutes a day at night when getting ready for bed), plus whatever is required for the control board for the fridge, and any other control boards that need 12V (water heater?). And possibly the water pump if it runs on 12V?  I don't think we'd be using the furnace.  And is it possible to get a battery that would last about 4 days with that kind of usage?  Thanks!

Welcome to THE RV FORUM and congratulations on the new rig.

You are in for some swell times and we are here for you when questions arise.  Don't overlook our library, it has a lot of useful reference materials.

I think you will be fine with the battery using it the way you describe.  Certainly the furnace will pull it down quickly.  Boondocking can be some of the best of times. 

Participation in our many discussions is a good way to gain more RV knowledge and meet new RV friends.  Join us.

Welcome aboard!

This is just our experience:
We bought our small TT last year and noticed that in about 5-7 days of being parked in the yard, the battery would be down.  At the time we just had the dumb meter and it was down to 2 dots lit (out of 4).  No idea what voltage that was but we learned that we had to have it plugged in between trips.  Drawing power in that "stored" state was the propane sniffer, radio (it has a memory), and I don't know what else. 

We added a battery.  We do have more going on than you as hubby uses a 12V cpap at night.  And we nearly exclusively are dry camping.  But you're right about the fridge, lights, water pump and many etc.

This spring we realized that the battery that came with the trailer is no good and probably was never a healthy battery for us.  We bought a 2017 after the 2018's arrived on the lot and our battery was probably abused for a year on the lot and not properly cared for. 

You will learn what your needs are but if I were in the situation again, I would take the "stock" battery to be tested as part of that evaluation.

With that type of usage, you should have no trouble getting your battery to last 2 or 3 days. That being said, State parks where I have camped recently in Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Florida, Georgia, South Dakota, and Utah all had electric hookups. Although someNational Park campgrounds also have hookups, most do not.

Joel

The trailer will come with a Group 24 size 12v "RV/Marine deep cycle" battery.  It is neither great quality nor large, but should handle what you describe and is what most everybody starts with.  It should last the camping season, and if kept charged over the winter should last 2-3 more seasons as well. When it gets weak, you can consider a larger and/or better performing battery.  For now, please review my article in the RVForun Library on RV Battery Choices - it will help you understand what is available and why/how to choose.

http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/Choosing_right_battery.pdf

However, many newcomers underestimate their battery power consumption. Circuit board don't consume much at all and the water pump doesn't run often enough to be a concern, but lighting and the furnace fan can quickly make a huge dent. If you are concerned about running short, you can always carry a second Group 24 12v and a pair of car jumper cables, essentially doubling your capacity for under $100.  Walmart has a basic one for around $75 and it will be at least as good as the one that comes with the trailer. As I said previously, you can get something better once you have a better idea of your needs.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Lead-Acid-Marine-RV-Battery-Group-24dc/180350522?

The short answer i NO it will not last all night in all likelyhood.

Minimum is a pair of GC2;; Ask the dealer to put on a battery tray that can hold 2 GC-2
You can use the single Group 24, it's about the same size as a GC-2 and will fit

Then upgrade later  Or you can order the upgrade now.

Thanks everyone for the great advice!

Gary - When you mention the second battery and jumper cables, is the idea that we would use the second battery to charge RV battery?  Also, I read your battery article in the library - great information, thank you!

John - When you say a pair of GC2, do you mean 2 6 volt golf cart batteries?  I've seen that recommended and we've thought about doing that (if there is room - that is something we need to look into).  How much longer would that last us compared to the single group 24?  Also, do you really think the group 24 wouldn't last one night even if we're very careful with the electrical usage?  The lights are all LEDs which I've heard don't use a lot of power and we only plan to use them briefly at night.  And I thought I read the refridgerator control board doesn't use much power.  I was hoping we would be able to get at least 2 or 3 days if we're careful (but perhaps I'm not being realistic).

Another question - If we need to charge the battery (and we don't have a second battery or generator), can the battery be charged by hooking the trailer up to the tow vehicle and letting the tow vehicle idle?  (I thought I read somewhere that the battery charges while the trailer is being towed).  And is this ok for the battery and tow vehicle?

Another question - If we need to charge the battery (and we don't have a second battery or generator), can the battery be charged by hooking the trailer up to the tow vehicle and letting the tow vehicle idle?  (I thought I read somewhere that the battery charges while the trailer is being towed).  And is this ok for the battery and tow vehicle?

Not really -- you might get a little bit of charge in there, but it'll be slow getting anything in, and you don't really want to idle your tow vehicle for hour after hour after hour...

For LED lights 30 minutes a day, standard parasitic draws, and occasional water pump usage, I think you?ll be fine for 3 or 4 days.  If you run the furnace at all, you won?t.  Furnace motors pull a fair amount of power.  As Gary suggests, having a second battery and jumper cables so you can connect it in parallel (+ to + and - to -) would be reasonable insurance. I?d suggest getting a cheap digital tester and not letting your batteries get below 12.1V (about 50%).

Have fun boondocking.  It?s the best!

We have a single battery on our motorhome and there's no room to add a second. We use a 50 watt portable solar panel, and have boondocked up to 4 days without running the generator. That just the fridge and a few LED lights.

I would think that for occasional use, a portable 100 watt solar panel would be all you need. Solar prices have come down considerably since we purchased ours, so we should probably upgrade to something larger. We only boondock a couple time a year, so I haven't worried about.

We're boondocking on our favorite lake next weekend. We'll see how the battery holds up.

Gary - When you mention the second battery and jumper cables, is the idea that we would use the second battery to charge RV battery?
No - it  won't have any practical effect as a charger.  Just hook it up and leave it connected as long as additional power is needed.  You can hook it up upon arrival, or hook it up later when the primary battery begins to get weaker (e.g. lights start to get dimmer). Either way, it effectively doubles the time of use.

Yes the GC-2 is a GOLF CAR battery (GC) and it takes 2, in series, to get 12 volts.. Henc3e GC-2  It is the battery size designation as well as the battery Description Golf Car 2 neded

Oh there is also a GC-12. that's a 12 volt battery. it's about the same as a PAIR of Group 24's but DEEP CYCLE

Your Group 24's are not really Deep cycle. 

The difference is how much of the capacity you can use (MARINE/deep cycle 20-25%  True Deep Cycle 50%)

I'd suggest using the trailer in your driveway a few days.  Run the electrical items how you think they'd be used while dry camping.

Also run the furnace for an hour to burn off any possible odors new furnaces may have.

It's best to find problems at home rather than on the road.

When I purchased my trailer last summer it came with 2 Interstate 12v batteries. Before I got my solar  system I was able to get 4 days on the 2 batteries by limiting my use to fridge, water pump and the phantom draws.  it was July and long days. I would get all my chores done before dark so I didn?t need to use lights. With one 12v 3 or 4 days would probably be a stretch.

It just occurred to me, that the type of lighting you have will make a big difference. LED lights use only about 1/10 as much battery power as do incandescent lights. If you don't have LED lights, you might consider switching out your bulbs.

Joel

Back
Top Bottom