RV in Florida, snowbirds from Pembroke to Largo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveTina

Newbie questions.

This year is our first trip. Be gentle.

In June our trailer is being shipped from Pembroke ON to Largo. Great rv resort.

Should we make sure it's aired out during summer intil we arrive early November?
Should I follow and make sure everything is ok in Florida in June?
What are your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks in advance

I would certainly want independent verification that it was delivered and set up and in good condition!  A post delivery inspection would also be in order.  As Mr Regan said, Trust, but verify!

Is it going to be delivered in June but you are not to see it until November?  Isn?t this risky?

I believe you want to show up as quick as possible to verify the condition and set up.

Also you will want to figure out how to store it in your absence.

Many folks leave the AC running all summer, others just leave air vents open for circulation and add dehumidifiers that can drain automatically down a sink or shower.

I would think you would want to plan a vacation for a week or more after delivery so you can check it out and enjoy it before you pack it up again.

Florida is open year round.  ;D

A closed up trailer in the Florida sun is going to bake as well as stew in the high humidity. Temperatures inside will probably reach 140 or so, which is terribly hard on upholstery, foam rubber, flooring, etc. And mildew is very likely as well.  It helps if you can keep it ventilated, but then you have to worry about wind-driven rain (Florida gets tropical rain storms regularly during the summer).

What about the RV battery? Will the rig be plugged in until you get there? 

In June our trailer is being shipped

This doesn't tell us much.

What trailer?  Make and model?  New?
Why are you having it delivered in FL?  instead of towing it to FL in Nov?

Is it going to be sitting at a RV spot or in a storage spot at the RV park?

If there is no power turned on where it's park - expect dead batteries when you arrive.

I'm sure I wouldn't want to leave an expensive trailer unattended for a long time.
Critters can find a way into a trailer when no one is at home.

For sure you want to stock it with rat and mouse poison as well as bug bait poison.

I live with all that stuff cause critters try to  move in even when occupied!

Also, you want to check all the systems to make sure there is no warranty work to be done.

Hello everyone,

Thank you very much with your responses. I didn't want to overload y'all with details at first but perhaps I should have lol

We are building a new house back in Canada (now) and once we are able to use the house then we were going to have a local, highly recommended,  reputable person deliver it ASAP so we can work on the house site. I definitely like the "trust and verify" model and will abide by it. We will definitely give more thought to keeping it here for one more milder Canadian summer. If our guy can deliver in Oct then it won't be so bad.

It's a 2009 28' Fleetwood Prowler with 1 tip out and my Chevy Avalanche is only 1/2 ton, I checked my numbers and my mechanic said not to. I have the tow package but worried about transmission. It's 1,500 miles and bout 750 are mountainous. This would also be my first time towing something this big. 

It'll be delivered onto our actual lot at the RV resort in it's permanent place. I've developed a good relation with the RV resort BUT they aren't the owners and probably won't take as good of care as we would.

I'm kinda thinking wait until Oct,,, then move it.

Thanks again and if you have more thought please don't be shy

Dave

Your mechanic is correct, not to try with your Avalanche.  However, you should find someone who can transport it in October or November.  My two cents.  Wish you well.

Any Florida RV park that can get a summer rental is going to treat you wonderfully, they are all hoping to fill up for the summer!

Seems like it would make sense to keep it with you until you are ready to come down here and use it.

Even if your super reliable friend can't move it, there is U Ship which tackles anything.

https://www.uship.com/

Welcome from another Canadian Snowbird!!

I can only recommend that you ship it as close to the "snowbird" season (Oct-Nov) as possible if that is your goal. Florida summers can take a big toll on a trailer stored there, especially if it has not been properly 'summerized' including many of the steps as suggested by others. Do not expect the campground to do all that is needed to properly store it for you, that is not what most campgrounds do. There is also that summer/fall weather phenomenon called a hurricane that may require you to tie down a trailer 'in case...' while you are not there. Not all campgrounds will require it but many do.

Neither our trailer, nor the attached screen room moved during Irma but we did loose two refrigerator vents (roof type) which, unfortunately, resulted in rain getting in where it was not needed. In our campground, 3 of my neighbours had sheds blow over as they had not been strapped down as required. One was totaled and they lost a washer and dryer that was set up in it. Many others lost screen rooms, siding and had roof damage on their "park models" (actually a manufactured home) in our park.

For what it is worth; We are snow birds and have a new 2018 trailer parked in "Key largo Kampground" in Key Largo Florida that we will be returning to in October. We don't do what others say here.
We keep the trailer closed as tight as we can including all vents and use packets purchased from the RV dealer, and placed on the floor that prevent mold and kill any unwanted critters. I don't know what the chemical is, but when you open the trailer up it should be allowed to air out for a few hours before using it.
All our neighbors use the same stuff and it works.
The campground office store carries a different brand that also works and the directions are the same for both

The directions explain that if ventilation is allowed  it will defeat the purpose and won't work

The only other option is to get hooked up to electric and keep the air condition running which would be not only costly, but taking a chance of losing the power

Jack L

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom