1993 Pace Arrow with 454 can't reach spark plugs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluegrill

Hi folks. New to the forum and to the RV world. Just bought a "93 Pace Arrow with a chevy 454 which runs terribly. Backfiring, missing, no power on hills etc. I have read on various forums about this engine having this problem and ready to proceed with putting all new parts in the ignition system but I am stumped with one big problem. The size of the opening in the engine access door is just too small to get my arms in to reach the spark plugs. Is there a trick to it that I don't see? I looked from underneath and that doesn't seem viable either. Can someone help me with this embarrassingly simple problem?

Crank the front wheels all the way right and left and crawl in behind the wheel.  With the wheels cranked all the way over there's room to sit up in the wheelwell and the plugs will be front and center.  You can reach half of the plugs with the wheels cramped all the way to the right, the rest with the wheels turned all the way to the left.

Bring a piece of cardboard in there with you to lay against the wheel and suspension parts so you don't get grease all over your clothing.

I agree with a good tune up for sure, and while you are at it, sure sounds like some crappy plug wires.  Many times they get old and spark and arc to ground, causing terrible running and backfiring issues. Pretty inexpensive and good part of your tune up anyway.  Sometimes there is a plastic shroud you need to remove or work around when going through the wheelwell.  Good luck, think of the $$ you'll save doing it yourself  :))

Thanks for the ideas about the wheel well. I'll give it a try this morning. One other thing, I was thinking to replace the distributor. It's pretty rusty. It doesn't look like it will come straight up because of the way the doghouse curves in at the rear. Is there a way to get that whole doghouse out of there. It looks like a molded fiberglass piece that is part of the floor. Does it come out? If I remove the front seats can I lift that whole section of floor out? I am just flying blind here. I appreciate the help.

If I remember right, to remove the entire doghouse surround, you peel back the carpet where the doghouse meets the floor and unscrew it.
Of course, the last time I worked on a coach like that, it was new, so my memory might be slightly hazy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom