Hybrid that fits in the garage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Micheline

Hello, this is my first post ...from Canada eh!
We are going from tenting to a camper this year and we want something that can fit in the garage. Pop up is obviously an option but I'm hoping to find a hybrid. Any suggestions for hybrids that can sleep 4, have a GVWR of no more than 3500 and can fit in a garage (we have 8 foot doors)?
Thanks for any suggestions!

You might check out the Trailmanor folding, hard sided trailer. The GVWR is a tad about 3500 for most of them (4200 or more), but the 2720QB (4075 GVWR) will fit in a garage (20 ft. long) and sleep 4. I had one for several years, and it was pretty decent -- we did have it in our garage, too.

The hybrids I know of are too tall for a garage.

There are lots - but depending where you are in this great country garage depths vary ie: GrandPraire most garages are 26-28 feet long to fit a full size truck and 10 ft or more inside - in Toronto they are only 20 ft for smaller cars

Best is look on Rvtrader.com then get out and look
Cheers

Knowing your exact garage size would help, also is the door height clearance your limiting height factor, or is it a drive unit of some type?

Probably the only thing I miss about having a pop-up is the ability to store it in the garage.

I don't think yoo are going to find a non-collapsible model that fits under an 8 ft door height.  The floor of the trailer is going to be 16"-18" inches high and the roof itself is 3-4" thick. Even without anything sticking up on the roof, that leaves only about 6 ft of height in the interior If the roof has any vents, folding tv antenna, fridge "chimney",  a/c unit, etc, the interior gets even lower.

Hybrids expand at the sides or ends, but you need a collapsible (pop up or Trail Manor type crank up) to reduce the height.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Hybrids expand at the sides or ends, but you need a collapsible (pop up or Trail Manor type crank up) to reduce the height.

Once slight correction: The Trailmanor isn't a crank-up (see the animation on the link in my previous post). Most of the raising and lowering force is provided by a clever arrangement of torsion bars, with you pulling or pushing to raise or lower. It was a one handed operation for me, and at an RV show I watched  (before I bought mine) a lady in high heels getting the trailer set up in a minute or so -- granted that this was only the raising of the front and rear sections and latching them. Raising interior walls and a few other small chores, including hookups, took another handful of minutes. Other than leveling, I was typically done with setup from travel position in less than 10 minutes.

Gary, there are probably a few smaller one piece units under 8 ft height, but not many.  There are some Casita fiberglass models that are under 8 ft, listed at as little as 7'8".  Casitas are built in Texas near Dallas and only sold factory direct, so while they are fairly common to find in campgrounds in and around Texas, they may be a bit less common elsewhere.  The Casita and the Scamp are very similar concepts, though I don't the exact height on the Scamp models, also it may depend on wheel/tire size combo.  Checking a few others online I found some that were close, but would not fit in an 8 ft garage, like the fiberglass Lil Snoozy which tops out with an 8'1" exterior height.

Hello,
I wasn't expecting such quick responses! Thank you for taking the time to respond, it is much appreciated!!
Our garage is quite large (more of a shop) so length of the camper isn't an issue but the height would be limited to our 8 foot garage doors.
The Trail Manor is neat, but ya it looks like they would be a bit too heavy for our limit.
Thanks again for the insight!

...looks like the hubby will win and get a pop-up though:/

Look at the Alto trailers made by Safaricondos.  They gare made in Canada and there pop up feature is very nice.  I have seen some in garages here in Colorado as well as in use at campgrounds.  Very well thought out designs.

Check out Trailmanor. I own a 2720sl for more than 12 years. the total length is 20 ft but it opens up to a equivalent of 27 ft. full bathroom and easily sleep 4 with lots of space for kids to run abit. There are other 20ft models that can sleep up to 6 people. Mine has dry weight of about 2900lbs which can be pull with most VAN or SUV. Oh! I also store it in the garage at all times. Made in USA!

seadude said:
Check out Trailmanor. I own a 2720sl for more than 12 years. the total length is 20 ft but it opens up to a equivalent of 27 ft. full bathroom and easily sleep 4 with lots of space for kids to run abit. There are other 20ft models that can sleep up to 6 people. Mine has dry weight of about 2900lbs which can be pull with most VAN or SUV. Oh! I also store it in the garage at all times. Made in USA!
You might check out the first reply to this post, along with this statement from the OP in a later post:
The Trail Manor is neat, but ya it looks like they would be a bit too heavy for our limit.

And note that dry weight is almost useless information when it comes to determining whether it works for a given tow vehicle. My 2720SL max weight was 4400 lbs, which is the appropriate weight for determining if you can tow it. And the 2720SL isn't made any more -- it's replaced by the 2720QS, whose dry weight is listed at 3186. Of course there are many used SLs, but the OP has ruled it out.

Back
Top Bottom