Is my converter a "good enough" one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_Rusty_

One of the articles here indicated the older RV's don't have "great" converters installed (technology updates since 2004).  Mine is a PowerMax 55 3-stage charger.

Is this converter pretty good or should I be considering replacing it?  ???

So I've been reading as much as I can about batteries and such.  I find two 6volt batteries in my RV and want them to be in "ready to go" state.  I removed them and charged overnight on standard "triple/trickle" chargers I have.  Now headed to auto store for hydrometer to check them out.  If test good I will then load test them. Hopefully 4-year old Interstate GC235aH batteries don't need replacement this year.

Maybe someone could recommend a good charger.  Schumaker SSC-1500A at wallyworld for under 50 seems like a good one.

The Powermax 55 is fine for your needs.  The old technology converter/chargers referenced elsewhere are single stage models like the Magnetec 63xx, 73xx, and 9000 series, Centurion 3000, etc. 

I will second Gary.. If it's working and working as it should then it's a good converter.

IF IT FAILS. id' go with a Progressive Dynamics 9200 as a replacement but so long as it is working the difference is not that great... But then I'm a fan of Progressive Dynamics for multiple reasons, some political, some technical.

But if it's working. then it's a good converter..

55 amps.. means you need at least 2  group 24 to eat off  (That woudl be 150 amp hours of battry) as the max charge rate is 30% 0f C/20  so I cheated by multiplying 50 by 3 (Doing a bit of rounding)

A pair of GC-2 Golf car batteries (6 volt) in series woudl be good too. in fact very good, with that converter.

thanks all... i'm not doing very well this morning with batteries.. :(

After overnight charge on the batteries with automotive style charger set to auto mode the hydrometer still said poor charge. Date code was January (assuming 14) and no good history on maintenance.  Only local battery I could get was advanced auto GC2 215aH by johnson battery (20% off online made it reasonable). Went to shop with the two old batts, they brought the new out on a cart.  I set one old on the cart then picked up a new one, unbalanced cart and 3 batteries hit the ground. :p One of the new started leaking and they are replacing it but none in stock, so i have to wait for it. One of the old cracked big time and they are disposing of that one too.  burned my hand on acid, but not too bad. decided to stop for the day. going to clean gutters instead. :eek:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom