yes or no for insuring an older TT ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hflors

We inherited an older Travel trailer (sis gave it to us when she bought a 'tiny" house).  It is a 1997.  The outside needs a new paint job, but the inside is in pretty good shape so we intend to use it until we decide if "camping" is for us.  Anyway, does anyone know if this TT is worth getting insured.  (please don't tell me to call the agent.  I had a problem after the last hurricane, called and left a message and am still waiting for a call back).  I live in Florida so most ins coverages are "different" here.

Any thoughts???
Just trying to figure all this stuff out

In Indiana, you I'm pretty sure you have to get liability just to get plates.  Going down the road, trailer flies off, hits another car, does your Truck insurance cover that?  Going down the road, awning flies off, hits another car, does your truck insurance cover that?  However, given the year, I probably wouldn't do fullcoverage :))

You for sure will need liability not comprehensive.  It will provide strangers protection from you and your trailer parting company going down the road.  It should be fairly cheap.

I'd give your agent another chance.  After a disaster like a hurricane they're stretched to the limit, if you can't reach him and get your questions answered during normal times he's not doing his job and I'd take my business elsewhere.  If you really don't want to call your agent, read your truck's policy.  In many states liability coverage for a trailer is included in the tow vehicle's coverage.

Florida doesn't specifically require separate liability coverage for a trailer, but you might want to review your liability and property damage limits in light of moving two vehicles down the road instead of just one:

http://www.mylegalneeds.com/faqs/what-to-know-about-florida-trailer-insurance-requirements.cfm

You probably don't need comprehensive insurance that pays you to repair or replace the trailer.  On something that old the premiums are likely to be as much as, or more than, the value of the trailer after the deductable.

Ditto Lou.

In KY, the truck liability covers any towed items.  My FW insurance is Comp and Collision only.  I would not insure that old of a camper.

Going down the road, trailer flies off, hits another car, does your Truck insurance cover that?  Going down the road, awning flies off, hits another car, does your truck insurance cover that?

Yes it does. Separate liability coverage is not required for a trailer under tow, including one that detaches while towing.

Anyway, does anyone know if this TT is worth getting insured.

Look up the typical value in the NADA online RV Guide. It will give you the ballpark figure for the value that collision & comprehensive insurance would pay in the event of a total loss. And almost any damage will "total' a 20+ year old RV because repair costs are high and market value is low.  Then get a quote for trailer insurance and weigh the premium cost vs what you could collect. I suspect you will find it a poor gamble, but it's worth checking.  Usually the most cost-effective trailer insurance is as an add-on to your car policy, so give your guy another call.  He's still in business to sell insurance and won't be swamped with calls any more.

Back
Top Bottom