E2 8000lb hitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Logger Joe

Any experience with this hitch? I just bought a trailer and negotiated this hitch into the deal over a husky eq hitch that didnt have integrated sway control.  Just hoping that the hitch change was a good idea.  I wanted an equal-i-zer 4 point sway control but for some reason its not offered in the 8000lb design, it jumps from 6k to 10k....

Not off the top of my head. It's about a 29' older Fleetwood IIRC. He pulls it with a lifted RAM 1500 that he loads down with a considerable amount of wood. He's probably overweight, but but does 99% of his camping locally. I'll see if he would be willing to bring it to work and weight it sometime when he's all loaded up. He had no problem adjusting it to compensate for the heavy payload.

kdbgoat said:
He pulls it with a lifted RAM 1500 that he loads down with a considerable amount of wood.

Now that would be the first guy I would go to for towing advice.  ::)

I didn't say go to him for advice. The OP asked about the E2, and I answered that for him.

You could have used the 10k Equal-i-zer if you wanted.  At 7600 lb GVWR, the Lantern 244BH is not too light for a 10k hitch.  The E2 8000 ought to be fine, though.

Thanks Garry, I figured the 10k equal-i-zer 4 point sway control would be over kill and didnt want the ride to be too stiff.  I have lots of towing experience as Ive been driving trucks for almost 20 years, but havent ever towed with a light duty truck before.  Just wanted to hear what others experience with the eq2 was ;)

All WD hitches have adjustable spring bar tension, so overkill is not a worry as long as its within reasonable range.  For a lighter tongue load, you simply use less tension on the spring bars.  For that matter, underkill isn't a problem either as long as the bars transfer enough weight to balance out the tow vehicle load.  The weight rating refers to how much weight the bars can shift, not the actual weight of the trailer tongue.  You don't necessarily have to shift all the weight for it to be functional (but always best to have "enough" capacity to do what ever is needed).

In any case, that E2 8000 ought to be fine.

Ok, so shes home and I set up the hitch.  What a pain in the ass to torque the thing up!! Lol I think the tire shop may be able to help me out tightening the reciever ball, but I had to order a 300ft/lb torque bar just so I can keep the hitch tightened up properly. 

I think I need a longer shank for the hitch though, before I hook it up the trucks ball mount is a few inches higher than the ball mount, however, after I hook it all up im back to level  on the trailer and my front fenders are near stock height (1/4" above stock), seeing as the trailer is quite level and the steers are back to stock height, is it necessary to get a longer shank?  The ass sags a few inches, but after a trial tow up to 100km/h(60mph) out side of being a bit heavier it feels nice on the road.

Took her for a week long trip and several hundred miles on the highway each way.

Nice stable tow, heavy on fuel consumtion, but that was expected.  Passing tractor trailers on the highway pushed the unit as a whole over a bit but I didnt find any noticable tail wag or anything else, had a bit of crosswind too and was zero trouble other than the feeling of towing a sail lol.
Loading on and off the ferries was a bit tricky when it was low tide but otherwise a totally uneventful trip.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom