New water heater / oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

terjames

I am remodeling an old Shasta travel trailer, and purchased a new Atwood LP/electric 6 gallon water heater.  It fits perfectly in the old space, which is directly below the oven.  The new water heater has styrofoam insulation, which the old one didn't.  That insulation is now within 1/8" or so of the bottom of the oven, won't that melt or burn when I use the oven? What clearance should I have around the bottom of the oven?  I can move the water heater about 6" directly lower, but that will require cutting/expanding the cutout in the siding, which I will do if I have to.  Or is there a different insulation I can use on the water heater?  Thanks for any tips and info!

Is it in a place you can visually inspect every so often?  I'm thinking you might be able to put some automotive heat shielding between the oven and the styrofoam.  It might be a good idea to look at it every once in a while.

My WH is built in right under a washer/dryer.  It gets warm but not as hot as an oven.

I found heat shielding mat, tape, and rolls on Amazon.

Yes, I can inspect the water heater, and certainly will if I leave the oven as is.  I don't know that I'll use the oven often, but don't want it to be a hazard if I do use it.  I will look for some sort of heat shield, thanks!

What kind of stove/oven do you have?  I looked in the current Atwood manual, they specify 1"-2" clearance to flammable materials on the sides and back of the oven, but no mention of a minimum clearance on the bottom (page 12).  My Atwood stove/oven is resting on wood framing and a piece of thin lauan supporting it from the bottom.  This implies there's insulation inside the oven to allow zero bottom clearance.

http://www.atwoodmobile.com/dealer-manuals/RangeManual.pdf

If you have the stove's make and model number, you may be able to find it's installation manual on the web by doing a Google search.

The zero bottom clearance given in the Atwood manual may or may not apply to your oven.  Can you plug the gas line going to the water heater and turn on the oven before you put the water heater in place?  Let it run for a bit and see if the bottom stays cool.

Thank you!  It's a Trav'ler stove/oven, I have searched everywhere for bottom clearance info and haven't found much at all.  Once we get things a little more put back together, I do plan on firing it up to see how hot the bottom gets before we install the water heater.  If it gets too hot, I guess I'll be reconfiguring the kitchen, don't really want to cut the siding to move the water heater. 

If there is a heat problem, and you are reconfiguring the kitchen, consider a convection microwave. Much better than an RV oven. How much will you be using the oven anyway? The only thing ours is used for is storage. My wife despises the ovens we have had in all our RV's.

I am pretty sure the bottom of the stove is protected so that it doesn't pass on heat.

Millions of gas ovens sit on wood floors or wooden cabinet frames. Surely they don't build them to start fires so quickly or there would have been massive recalls.

Different folks and attitudes.

I use my oven a lot! Especially in the winter when extra heat is always welcomed.

Even in the summer, it's fun to bake biscuits in 12 minutes and turn it back off again.

Now that I have my 12 volt oven light working, I am baking more, because I lose a lot less heat.

I can peek in the window without opening the oven. Heaven on earth for baking in the summer.

I like to go to pot lucks and taking a big pan of casserole is always quickly devoured. I entertain at my RV, mostly outside, but still cooking inside. Also I often make a big batch of something so i have leftovers to enjoy.

Both my RV's came with virgin ovens, so that was a huge bonus too.

We use our Atwood/Wedgewood oven frequently, and like Lou's, ours is set on a wood frame with just a thin Luan panel under it. The plywood barely gets warm when the oven is in use. Our water heater is also under the oven, but there's about 3" of clearance above it.

DearMissMermaid said:
Different folks and attitudes.
I use my oven a lot!

Ditto, wouldn't own an RV without a gas oven. Old school I guess, plus relying on an electric oven for baking while boondocking requires the genset or tons of amps. I also have a micro/convection, so I have a second oven if I need one which is a bonus.

Thank you, everyone!  I emailed Atwood (water heater manufacturer) and  they said that the current configuration would be a fire hazard, and that I should move either the oven or the water heater.  I think I'll just remove the stove and get a 2 burner propane drop in, and a convection oven.  Anyone in the market for an avacado 3-burner?  I have no idea if it works or not, but the oven is spotless, looks like it's never been used.

terjames said:
Thank you, everyone!  I emailed Atwood (water heater manufacturer) and  they said that the current configuration would be a fire hazard, and that I should move either the oven or the water heater.  I think I'll just remove the stove and get a 2 burner propane drop in, and a convection oven.  Anyone in the market for an avacado 3-burner?  I have no idea if it works or not, but the oven is spotless, looks like it's never been used.

Something to consider.  I know a lot of especially Full-Timers like their oven. It does take up space.  Weekend campers and short vacation campers have a different mindset, we bring stuff that has easy clean up.  We are on a mini vacation, unlike full-timers where it is their lifestyle.  My point, consider your needs and anticipated uses, and equip your TT to meet them.  To be honest, we have a special cutting board that sits and covers our 3 burner stop top, gives us more counter space, and rarely use the stove.  We Grill, Microwave, and crockpot mostly.  We have a portable small electric oven that works awesome for cookies, pizza, pasta dish etc, we do not boondock, and mostly stay in State Parks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom