buying my first satellite tv equipment for the rv.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jayc2640

We've had our first class A RV (after tents, a pop-up, and a 10 year hiatus when the kids thought camping "sucked") since last July.  We spent the last six months traveling the country, and had a great time. 

I've decided that a satellite dish would be better than just local tv.  I've been trying to do my due diligence, but  I haven't been able to find anything that was anywhere close to definitive.  So, here's what I've decided that would work best for me.  I like DishTV because you can pay as you go and they offer HD on portable dishes.  I prefer to avoid contracts when I can.  Because of problems with trees and other obstructions, I don't think I want a roof-mounted antenna.  I've read that the portable domes can have problems in rainy weather, but that may be a minimal problem.  I've also read that the Winegard Pathway X2 is less troubled by rain because of the larger dish, and can access both the eastern and western arc satellites.  Also, the Pathway X2 can support two televisions with different receivers (as long as you are watching channels on the same satellite).  I've also read that the Pathway X2 is delicate when it comes to being on an absolute level surface (+-3 degrees).

Okay, that is what I THINK I know.  Based on that, here's the criteria for what I think I want:  A portable antenna, to avoid obstructions, the ability to add a second receiver on a second tv (although I don't know if that will be a major want, as my wife doesn't really watch much tv), and I like the idea of power being supplied by coax.

My concerns are:

The Pathway X2 receives from both satellites.  Is that really a desirable feature?  We will be travelling all over the USA, and some travel in Canada.  Do we need this?

Many people have complained that the domes have reception problems in the rain.  Is the Pathway X2 that much better?

I watched a couple of videos about finding the satellites for an X2, and it seemed a lot more involved than the domes.  What's the story?

I would appreciate anything you can do to relieve my confusion!

Thanks,  John

First of all, the X2 is a dome, with most of the same limitations as other domes in that it only receives one satellite at a time. The somewhat larger reflector will lessen the rain fade issue, but not completely eliminate it. Not even the full sized dishes do that in a heavy enough storm. Being able to receive both arcs is a definite advantage when parking in any area with trees or other obstructions, since you have more aiming options. The eastern arc capability is also beneficial east of the Mississippi where many of the locals are only on the eastern arc in HD, and in some cases, only on the eastern arc at all. About the only difference in finding the sats with an X2 versus other western arc only domes is selecting which arc you want. And that's usually a function of your location and any obstructions. Having eastern arc capability means you'll sometimes have service in locations where folks with western arc domes do not. Those couple of extra button pushes on the Wally's remote are well worth it when that happens. One tip, a friend of ours has a circle marked on the top of his portable dome where he puts a small circular bubble level when setting up. It doesn't have to be perfectly level, just fairly close...

John, camping World has a special in their monthly flyer. Buy any Dish compatible
sat dish and get the Dish Wally receiver for free. Special is good until May 6th.

Here?s my setup:
Winegard Traveler 1000 for Dish (western satellites)
Hopper 3 receiver
DPH42 switch
Solo Hub
Wireless Joey (sending unit at receiver and remote at bedroom tv)

We use the same Hopper 3 and Joey for both home and RV as we never need both at once.
Have traveled from IL to AZ to Key West to GA and changed local channels any times. Usually goes smoothly but a few times not. HD locals not always available on western satellites so some locations. We just moved to Columbus GA. The locals here are only on Eastern arc. So had to get Atlanta locals.

Twice we?ve been assigned camping lots that had obstructions preventing reception and had to request another site. Not bad for four months on the road.

The Traveler Dish easily locks on to the three western satellites just by turning it on. We do lose reception for a short time in heavy storms. But it shouldn?t be as bad as the dome enclosed dishes. I understand that a single eastern arc satellite can be received but I never tried to do that.

We like the features of the Hopper 3?s 16 tuners and DVR. The wireless Joeys feed the bedroom TV without additional wiring and has worked flawlessly.

We are happy with this system.

Tom

We have exactly the same set up as Tom less the Hopper. And the same results. Over five years of full timing I have found two sites where the Traveler didn't have good reception. Incidentally, I installed it myself in an afternoon on each of the two motorhomes we've used it on. Highly recommended!

Ernie

I have never had to change sites, nor have I ever selected a site based on satellite reception. That said, in 10 years of satellite use, we have never landed on a site where I could not find a clear enough satellite view for either the Dish western or eastern arc sats with our portable tripod mounted dish. Occasionally that required close to 200' of coax, but it also meant we've selected sites based on the view or other park features that we feel are more important to us. Now with our Dish satellite streaming capability, onsite satellite view is even less of an issue. And the ~$1500 we didn't pay for an arc limited Trav'ler has paid for a lot of program package bills... ;)

John (jay 2640),
We have the x2 and a 211k receiver. I really appreciate having the eastern arc availability.  I have had this setup for two years  and traveled  to ND, Miami Florida,  Texas,  and NM. We have had signal loss 4 or 5 times due to really heavy rain and that usually only lasts a minute or two. One time about 3 weeks ago, we were in Starke, Florida and lost signal for nearly an hour due to a really heavy and slow moving thunderstorm.  At my home  in NC, we are surrounded by tall trees and cannot receive anything from the western arc.  But we can receive all three eastern arc satellites from the x2 set up in my driveway.  This is because the eastern arc are up higher in the sky here (elevation).  As for setting it up, i bought the crappy 3 legged platform for it and use a leveling app on my phone to level that befoere putting the x2 on it. I have a couple of augmented reality apps on my phone that show where the satellites are in the sky. This helps me find where to setup the x2. I have had nothing but excellent service from everyone I've dealt with at Dish.

I hope this helps you.

ChasA said:
John (jay 2640),
We have the x2 and a 211k receiver. I really appreciate having the eastern arc availability.  I have had this setup for two years  and traveled  to ND, Miami Florida,  Texas,  and NM. We have had signal loss 4 or 5 times due to really heavy rain and that usually only lasts a minute or two. One time about 3 weeks ago, we were in Starke, Florida and lost signal for nearly an hour due to a really heavy and slow moving thunderstorm.  At my home  in NC, we are surrounded by tall trees and cannot receive anything from the western arc.  But we can receive all three eastern arc satellites from the x2 set up in my driveway.  This is because the eastern arc are up higher in the sky here (elevation).  As for setting it up, i bought the crappy 3 legged platform for it and use a leveling app on my phone to level that befoere putting the x2 on it. I have a couple of augmented reality apps on my phone that show where the satellites are in the sky. This helps me find where to setup the x2. I have had nothing but excellent service from everyone I've dealt with at Dish.

I hope this helps you.

ChasA, Thanks for the information.  That storm you were in 3 weeks ago in Starke, FL, we were in it too.  We were in Mayo, FL, and I wouldn't have expected any dome type antenna to get a signal.

Butchii, Thanks for the heads up about the deal at Camping World.  I'm definitely going to take advantage of the sale.

I've narrowed it down to the Winegard Pathway X2, and the King Tailgater Pro.  Here's my thinking:

Winegard Pathway X2 - Larger dish, accesses both Eastern and Western satellites.

King Tailgater Pro - More portable, can be mounted on the roof with a quick disconnect mount, giving you the best of both worlds when it comes to antenna positioning.

I have to say, that almost all of the posts I've read about the tailgater are positive, and I'm leaning that way.  ??? :)) :)(

ok, sat 101
The biggest differencs between Dish and DirecTV are as follows
Dish has the Pay as you go, ba month, skip a month and you can split the month into multiple parts
DirecTV offers Distant Network Service. on an RV account you can get "Local" Meaning network like ABC, NBC and the other TLA (three letter acronyms) from one of a number of "Super Cities" won't be local news. but will be all your favorite prime time and day time network shows.

Dish you can change locals from a smart phone app now they tell me.

Dish uses only birds in one band, I think it is KU but it might be KA.  Direc uses both bands.. for now

Direc is phasing out SD, adn that's what they broadcast in the band Dish uses.

Rooftop and portable DOME or CUBE type antennas pick up only that band, after the phase out DISH or NOthing.. DISH type antennas... Only work when parked, and get whatever you need.

Some Portable antennas can do both eastern and western DISH arcs.

IF you choose to roof mount and park under the evil Signal Eating Tree... NO SIGNAL

So you need a ground mount, Dish or Cube/other portable your choice.

Finally Direc I'm told has better sports packages.. Not interested but am in the NASA channel. that's on DISH.

John from Detroit and anyone else who may be interested.  Dish has recently brought DNS back.  It doesn't interest me so I didn't check the details.

jayc2640 said:
I have to say, that almost all of the posts I've read about the tailgater are positive, and I'm leaning that way.  ??? :)) :)(

We have the King Tailgater Pro and have been very happy with it.

ChasA said:
John from Detroit and anyone else who may be interested.  Dish has recently brought DNS back.  It doesn't interest me so I didn't check the details.

Yep, the current Dish DNS offering is western arc west coast locals only, LA as I recall. There's speculation the NY City locals may be added at some point, but no time frame has been suggested. Direct offers DNs from NY City on the east coast and LA on the west coast. Both charge extra for that service. Dish makes changing locals quite easy as we travel, usually using the online chat system. The new MyDish app feature for changing locals promises to make it even easier for RV'ers once they get the bugs worked out.

We are fortunate to have both the X1 and the Trav-ler. There are places we camp where we can not get a signal with our roof top dish, but can with the portable. Definitely prefer the Trav-ler, but the portable has served us well.

Back
Top Bottom