EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Will rising gas/fuel prices impact your travel plans?  (Read 1782 times)

jymbee

• ---
Will rising gas/fuel prices impact your travel plans?
« on: April 21, 2018, 08:25:26 PM »
Given that gas prices have remained relatively stable and low over the recent past, the cost of gas may be something that many have simply taken for granted with respect to their travel plans. But the recent price spike and suggestions that prices could even go a lot higher are a bit sobering. I know they are for us when considering our first purchase and anticipated extensive travel plans.

If gas does go up to something like $5/gal + would that have a significant impact on your travel? I know there's been numerous dire warnings in the past about sky high prices and not that long ago when prices spiked drivers were scrambling to dump their gas gusslers  in favor of a more economical ride. Complacency can come back to bite you!

Isaac-1

• ---
Re: Will rising gas/fuel prices impact your travel plans?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 08:56:18 PM »
I don't worry too much about it, though last time fuel prices spiked in 2009 I bought a used diesel Ford F250 for $6,500, I still have it and use it to haul stuff on the weekends, etc. 
2002 Safari Trek 2830

steveblonde

• ---
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 09:52:50 PM »
The price is what the price is i will cut back on other things before i worry  ie i will stay at a walmart instead of a campsite when traveling, besides certain parts of the economy both canadian and american stall when prices get too high and certain leaders have made it known that OPEC s control over oil prices and inflating them upsets them and they dont like that and for good reason, IF there is a large increase it wont last North American economies are too dependant on fuel costs. Look back to 2008
2015 Voltage 3305 Toy Hauler - loaded
2017 Ford Escape my Daily driver - first Ford in 25 yrs
2017 Black on Black F350 Diesel Dually loaded (First Ford Truck after 17 GMs) 5167lbs cargo/weight capacity -DRKHORZ

" If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space"
From Canada Eh

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 10:32:25 PM »
We're nowhere near the $4+ prices we saw in the 2008 era here in the east, but back then all we did was travel less and stay longer at parks to keep our fuel costs within the budget. We would do the same thing now if prices go high enough to warrant it. At 8 mpg, a $1/gallon price increase adds $125 to 1000 mile trip. I'd certainly rather not pay the extra money, but it's not even close to enough to take us off the road.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

John Stephens

• ---
  • Vacations begin when you leave the driveway
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 11:03:06 PM »
I just recalculated our trip expenses for our upcoming vacation and used a target average of $3.00/gal. It took my fuel bills, including what I'll use for the generator and toad, up an extra $300. So we'll cut back on some incidentals to make up for it.

What I really worry about is the trip we're planning for next year - a 6600 mile trip to Jasper, Alberta and back home to Florida. If the prices continue to rise as they predict and we see $4.00/gal gas, that'll make a pretty big impact on our overall expenses when we're getting 6.5 mpg.
John
Cape Coral, Fl.
2005 Winnebago Adventurer 38J
Acme EZ Tow Dolly and 2007 Azera

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 01:48:11 AM »
We have been paying just under $4 per gallon in the UK for diesel for over a year now. We don't travel the distances you guys do though. I hope you don't get the fuel increases!
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Travelling in US until 30th October 2018

camperAL

• ---
  • Back Into RV'ing
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 04:23:42 AM »
Hi jymbee and all,

Figuring if gas prices go up to $3.00 this year, for a hypothetical 4500 mile trip it would cost just an extra $300 or $400 from past prices the last year. Since you have an investment in your RV, it would probably cost more to not use it than to use it. Now a $5.00 per gallon would be serious and cost about twice of what it cost in 2017. Still We are still only talking about double the price in 2017. For the $300 - $400 dollars you could boondock 10 days and off set the cost of fuel.

As others have said cut back on some things so you can travel. Stay longer at places, and only travel 200 or 300 miles a day or stay a couple of days at a campground you like. Campground cost compared to fuel cost is much cheaper. Not going on as big of a trip is a possibility and simply enjoying some of the more local areas around you can offer a cheaper solution and enjoyment of something you might be taking for granted or have not made an effort to see. Sooner or later prices will go lower and you can do the longer trips then.

On a trip I did a year and a half ago, spent $11 on fuel per day. Even if that goes up to $15 or $20 it would still be worth a trip and in my case I could compinstate by staying longer to knock the price down to a reasonable level.

If I can quote SeilerBird, most people travel about 5% of the time or so, and camp or live in their RV 95%. When camping the fuel cost isn't a factor. Happy travels!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 04:29:44 AM by camperAL »
CamperAL (Indiana)
(2006 Coachmen Mirada 290 KS )

Spike1306

• ---
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 07:16:23 AM »
I will have to keep an eye on this for next year as I will be renting an RV and will be a doing a 3000 mile road trip with it.

Still alot cheaper than here in UK though at around the $7 a gallon for regular petrol/gas

Alpena Jeff

• ---
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 07:26:15 AM »
Given that gas prices have remained relatively stable and low over the recent past, the cost of gas may be something that many have simply taken for granted with respect to their travel plans. But the recent price spike and suggestions that prices could even go a lot higher are a bit sobering. I know they are for us when considering our first purchase and anticipated extensive travel plans.

If gas does go up to something like $5/gal + would that have a significant impact on your travel? I know there's been numerous dire warnings in the past about sky high prices and not that long ago when prices spiked drivers were scrambling to dump their gas gusslers  in favor of a more economical ride. Complacency can come back to bite you!
Short answer, no.
I'll stop eating first! ;)
Jeff & Judy
2016 Newmar Ventana 3427
2018 GMC Canyon All Terrain toad
Blue Ox Aventa LX - RVi3 - EEZRV
Retired to "the lake" in north Michigan

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 12:20:28 PM »
No, higher fuel prices wouldn't impact our travel plans much. Our motorhome cost way too much to not enjoy it. Life's short. I have to chuckle though, when I read comments about the possibility of gas prices hitting $3.00 per gallon. The cheap stuff here in San Diego is $3.52 a gallon, and over $4.00 at many stations near freeways. I don't even remember when gas prices were below $3.00 a gallon.

Our "summer blend" is basically rot-gut quality, so the old saying, "You get what you pay for." doesn't apply either. Diesel prices are about the same, which is why I fill up in Arizona when returning home. It's often nearly a dollar a gallon cheaper in Yuma than in San Diego.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 960 watts of solar
(Can't wait to spend more time RVing)
Lakeside, California

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 02:48:57 PM »
On our way home the other day, had to stop in PA for fuel. Diesel was $3.85 at a FJ. Drove about 100 miles and stopped in NY to top off so I could make it home on the last tank full. It cost us $3.05. Got home and found that diesel was  $2.85. Quite a difference. 
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 03:26:45 PM »
PA recently raised their fuel tax, Rene. When we're running I-81 now, we try to hold out for the Flying J just over the VA state line in Winchester when going south, and stop there to top off when going north. If we absolutely have to stop in PA for fuel, I'll add just enough to get out of the state...
Dutch

muskoka guy

• ---
  • 2000 Coachmen Santara 370 isb cummins diesel
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 03:34:37 PM »
Fuel costs are only a portion of the cost of a trip. Even though the fuel might go up 25 percent, the overall cost extra to the trip might only be 10 percent. If you were planning on spending $5000 dollars, thats only $500 extra. You cant rv when you are dead. If the time is right, you are still going to go regardless. Most rvers who are on that tight of a budget dont travel often anyway. The ones who travel a lot, are generally on less of a budget, and are going to go anyway. We have travelled 20,000 miles in the last two winters as snowbirds. Having to pay more for fuel would not have changed our plans. We would have grumbled, but paid it anyway.

AStravelers

• ---
  • Part time travelers, 4-8 months each year.
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 07:31:10 AM »
If I was still working and only had a 2-3 week vacation, and had planned a 4000 mile trip, I would probably change my plans and make a shorter trip.  Probably something like 1000-1500 miles if fuel went to the $4 range.

Being retired, our 4000-5000 mile trips take us 5-6 months.  So no we would not change our plans.  In fact I would not have changed our plans, because of fuel costs, for our 13,500 mile trip from Texas to Oregon to Alaska, back to Oregon and then home to Texas.  This trip took us 9 months.  Some of the long duration was multi week stays with family while still in the lower 48 states.
Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R
2009 Chevy Colorado 4X4

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

lynnmor

• ---
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 07:53:29 AM »
PA recently raised their fuel tax, Rene. When we're running I-81 now, we try to hold out for the Flying J just over the VA state line in Winchester when going south, and stop there to top off when going north. If we absolutely have to stop in PA for fuel, I'll add just enough to get out of the state...

I live in PA and have bought exact 1/2 tank of fuel in the state since the major tax increase 16 months ago.  As for travel plans, I will camp in another state or near enough to the border to buy fuel in another state. 

PA....... You're Fired!

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 08:21:11 AM »
I remember just a couple years ago gas below 2.00/gallon in S.E. Georgia
Today the best price here in Eastern Lower MI is 2.95.. and the Refinery is an hour's drive from here.

I do know why the price went up. but would rather not discuss it here.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2018, 08:51:22 AM »
Dutch

John Stephens

• ---
  • Vacations begin when you leave the driveway
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2018, 09:47:40 AM »
I have to chuckle though, when I read comments about the possibility of gas prices hitting $3.00 per gallon. The cheap stuff here in San Diego is $3.52 a gallon, and over $4.00 at many stations near freeways. I don't even remember when gas prices were below $3.00 a gallon.
Kev

Kevin - I feel your pain. Living in Florida, I have become used to gas prices being $.30/gal higher than St. Louis, where I used to live. They have some of the cheapest prices in the country and my friend who lives there told me they just saw prices go over $2.00/gal recently. He's complaining about having to pay $2.15 at his local Costco. But we have our reasons for wanting to live in Florida, just like you have your reasons to want to live in San Diego. Gasoline simply isn't one of them.
John
Cape Coral, Fl.
2005 Winnebago Adventurer 38J
Acme EZ Tow Dolly and 2007 Azera

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2018, 11:33:36 AM »
For general gas pricing in posting, I'm using the national average, since the state to state prices vary so much. The current average as of this post is $2.754. Here in NY the average is $2.873, although my area of upstate NY is running closer to the national average.
Dutch

muskoka guy

• ---
  • 2000 Coachmen Santara 370 isb cummins diesel
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2018, 01:00:22 PM »
Diesel was already in the $4 per gallon range in Needles California when we were there this winter. After 10000 miles of travel this winter, I would say the average we paid was about $2.75 per gallon. Low was around $2.35. High was as stated, around $4.

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2018, 01:56:14 PM »
Next time you need gas or diesel in Needles, go north across the river on Hwy 95 about 2 miles into Arizona.  You'll find gas and diesel at the busy Arco station for a buck to a buck and a half less than Needles prices.

Needles' problem is CA won't allow refined fuel to be imported from other states.  Both gas and diesel have to meet CA's unique requirements, and Needles is about as far as you can get from any CA refinery.  Except maybe the gas stations in Shoshone and Death Valley's Furnace Creek Ranch.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 02:09:13 PM by Lou Schneider »

MedfordRV

• ---
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2018, 01:31:55 AM »
In 1968 I was making $1.60 an hour and gas was 35 cents a gallon. I'd do whatever it took to come up with $2.00 every night to go cruising. I don't plan to stop now...
Bruce
Medford MA

DearMissMermaid

• ---
  • Read my mis-adventures at DearMissMermaid.Com
    • DearMissMermaid.Com
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2018, 05:28:28 AM »
When I plan a trip budget, I figure worse case scenario on gas. I figure worst mpg and high gas prices. I add another 50% to the mileage for detours and getting lost. Basically at the end of a trip I have more than half my gas money left over.

RVing is about keeping a chunk of change set aside for emergencies and repairs that pop up when you least expect them.  A surge in gas for a planned trip can also be an emergency though the way I budget it out, it shouldn't dip into the emergency fund.

There is so much more to RVing than just filling up the gas tank.

Typically if you look around there are awesome opportunities in a 200 mile radius as well as a 2000 mile radius. Since I love nature, I can pretty much find there close by or far away.

I don't have to visit all 49 states just because the neighbors did.

Some RVers travel on enormous budgets while others make it a full time pursuit on a shoestring.

Gas prices have always fluctuated wildly in America and that just has to be part of the consideration in juggling a budget.
http://DearMissMermaid.Com

Living, working. playing  in a 1992 Holiday Rambler Imperial 36' 5th Estate, formerly 8 years 24/7 in a Class C, 1994 Tioga Montara, 28'

Pack half the stuff and twice the cash.
http://dearmissmermaid.blogspot.com/

irishtom29

• ---
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2018, 10:40:01 AM »
It wonít affect me, or at worst the effect will be minor.

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2018, 11:21:23 AM »
When we went FT in 1998 diesel was $.89 a gallon. I remember being somewhere in remote Texas and the diesel was $1.50 gallon. I almost didnít get it but was close to empty. Gas in Dover is $2.56 at Samís and in Philly itís $2.99.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2018, 11:35:41 AM »
I have just checked our stats for last year.

We drove 15,400 miles and spent $3872.33 on gas.  Which averages at $2.69 per gallon.  We filled up in 10 different states. :)
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Travelling in US until 30th October 2018

jymbee

• ---
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2018, 03:54:56 PM »
When we went FT in 1998 diesel was $.89 a gallon. I remember being somewhere in remote Texas and the diesel was $1.50 gallon. I almost didnít get it but was close to empty.

I can remember WAY back in the 60s when a resort town in Upstate NY was selling gas for a staggering $.50 per gallon!  ::)

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2018, 04:13:39 PM »
I can remember WAY back in the 60s when a resort town in Upstate NY was selling gas for a staggering $.50 per gallon!  ::)

That was a staggering amount in the 60ís. I used to borrow a friends GTO in the late 60ís and we would rummage under the seats and anywhere else we could think of for change to buy gas at $.19 a gallon.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

Pugapooh

• ---
  • Wanna buy a truck?
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2018, 04:19:04 PM »
No.  I believe you have to go when you are able to go.  You only live once,as they say. 
2006 Dutchmen Denali 29 RL fiver
2006 Dodge 2500 Big Horn
2001 GMC Sierra 3500

_Rusty_

• ---
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2018, 04:35:28 PM »
We use the "gas buddy" app to keep an eye on things in our part of PA.  Today FJ jumped a dime at I-80/US219 to $3.03 for unleaded.  Wholesale Unleaded gas today is selling for $2.50/gal at the Warren PA refinery (4000 gal min).
bill & ilean
2004 Tiffen Allegro Bay 37db
Workhorse 8.1/Allison 1000
Near Punxsutawney, PA
(for now)

Hosted by Over The Network