crossing into Canada and back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grump

Going to head to Alberta from North Dakota and back to Washington in June, just wondering how much customs looks at interior items and safety features. Reason for asking is I remodeled and have a lazy boy that is not fastened down but have a seat belt from previous fold out couch that I secure chair with while traveling and wondering if that would be potential problem. Also how much time should I set aside for inspection/crossing?

Customs are not interested in those aspects at all but... You will be questioned on foods carried in, plants, cash, length of stay and guns. (No guns allowed at all despite having carry permits etc from your home state. Permits for long guns are required before traveling. The time allotment can vary greatly from minutes to hours (especially if you are selected for a secondary inspection!)

Add liquor to Stu's list (Canada has limits on how much you can take across the border).

Make sure your pets are up to date with their shots and have the proof. They may ask to see the records and they may not.

While heading through Alberta, a must see is the Royal Tyrrell Museum, Hoodoos and Badlands in/near Drumheller.  There are several campsites and a Walmart that you can overnight in.  Also, if you have the time go up through Banff, the Ice Fields, and Jasper National Parks.
    I think the legislation is that a seat belt is required for each passenger, but I have never been questioned, nor have either Canadian or US Border guards ever looked to see if seats are secured.  For what it is worth, that seat would be similar to a table and chair set up on a lot of RVs.

Ed

Crossing into Canada; liquor, guns and dogs.....somebody help me with the rest of this country song. I?ll split the royalties with you. Let?s see, mention a pickup truck and a woman that ran off with a rodeo clown and I think we have the hook for the song.

With self-driving vehicles, it's only a matter of time before someone writes a country song about a pickup truck that leaves with the dog.

As to crossing the border, toss a coin. Sometimes they're very interested, other times they almost waive you through. Just answer questions honestly and don't volunteer additional information they didn't ask for.

Last year we went to Alaska so we had 4 border crossings. None asked about any foods. None were interested in the dog, but we did mention her each time. Only 1 asked to see both the RV and Honda registrations the other 3 only wanted to see it for the RV. 1 asked if we had any guns. 1 had Sheryl stand up, so he could see her and compare to her Passport. When in the line-up, but before it was our turn, Bobby always took off his sunglases. Bobby did all of the talking and only answered the question(s) asked with as short of an answer as possible without being rude.

They are only interested in whether you can legally enter and what you are bringing in, motor vehicle act infractions are not their mandate. If they see something blatantly unsafe they may call the highway patrol but that is entirely up to them. We were only been held up for more than 15 minutes once, US customs was checking for fruit and vegetables. She confiscated a tomato and let us go ;D.

Oldgator73 said:
Crossing into Canada; liquor, guns and dogs.....somebody help me with the rest of this country song. I?ll split the royalties with you. Let?s see, mention a pickup truck and a woman that ran off with a rodeo clown and I think we have the hook for the song.

No train?

Sorry Gator, the Six Shooter will get you in trouble at the border going either way, and the dog has to have proof that its shots are up to date, so bureaucracy still reigns supreme on both sides of the border.

Ed

"I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison
And I went to pick 'er up in the rain
But before I could get to the station in my pickup truck
She got runned over by a damned ol' train"

From "You Never Even Called Me by My Name" ("the perfect country song"), written by Steve Goodman and sung by David Allan Coe, released in 1975.

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/davidallancoe/youneverevencallmebymyname.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOcH1oHz68c

Back
Top Bottom