EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: crossing into Canada and back  (Read 553 times)

grump

• ---
  • '04 Gulfstream Cresendo, AKA Grey Ghost
crossing into Canada and back
« on: April 22, 2018, 08:30:17 AM »
Going to head to Alberta from North Dakota and back to Washington in June, just wondering how much customs looks at interior items and safety features. Reason for asking is I remodeled and have a lazy boy that is not fastened down but have a seat belt from previous fold out couch that I secure chair with while traveling and wondering if that would be potential problem. Also how much time should I set aside for inspection/crossing?

Alfa38User

• ---
Re: crossing into Canada and back
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 09:19:28 AM »
Customs are not interested in those aspects at all but... You will be questioned on foods carried in, plants, cash, length of stay and guns. (No guns allowed at all despite having carry permits etc from your home state. Permits for long guns are required before traveling. The time allotment can vary greatly from minutes to hours (especially if you are selected for a secondary inspection!)
Stu
Montrťal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 09:33:53 AM »
Solid advice from Stu!
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 09:49:29 AM »
Add liquor to Stu's list (Canada has limits on how much you can take across the border).
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 10:17:10 AM »
Make sure your pets are up to date with their shots and have the proof. They may ask to see the records and they may not.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 11:10:30 AM »
     While heading through Alberta, a must see is the Royal Tyrrell Museum, Hoodoos and Badlands in/near Drumheller.  There are several campsites and a Walmart that you can overnight in.  Also, if you have the time go up through Banff, the Ice Fields, and Jasper National Parks.
     I think the legislation is that a seat belt is required for each passenger, but I have never been questioned, nor have either Canadian or US Border guards ever looked to see if seats are secured.  For what it is worth, that seat would be similar to a table and chair set up on a lot of RVs.

Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 11:41:56 AM »
Crossing into Canada; liquor, guns and dogs.....somebody help me with the rest of this country song. Iíll split the royalties with you. Letís see, mention a pickup truck and a woman that ran off with a rodeo clown and I think we have the hook for the song.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 06:04:04 PM »
With self-driving vehicles, it's only a matter of time before someone writes a country song about a pickup truck that leaves with the dog.

As to crossing the border, toss a coin. Sometimes they're very interested, other times they almost waive you through. Just answer questions honestly and don't volunteer additional information they didn't ask for.
WARNING: This post may contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Dream Chasers

• ---
  • Be Brave - Take Risks - Nothing Beats Experience
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 08:52:54 PM »
Last year we went to Alaska so we had 4 border crossings. None asked about any foods. None were interested in the dog, but we did mention her each time. Only 1 asked to see both the RV and Honda registrations the other 3 only wanted to see it for the RV. 1 asked if we had any guns. 1 had Sheryl stand up, so he could see her and compare to her Passport. When in the line-up, but before it was our turn, Bobby always took off his sunglases. Bobby did all of the talking and only answered the question(s) asked with as short of an answer as possible without being rude.
Sheryl & Bobby and Roxie the Yorkie
Polk City, Florida
2015 Forest River Berkshire 34QS
2011 Honda CRV SE

Roy M

• ---
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 10:21:11 PM »
They are only interested in whether you can legally enter and what you are bringing in, motor vehicle act infractions are not their mandate. If they see something blatantly unsafe they may call the highway patrol but that is entirely up to them. We were only been held up for more than 15 minutes once, US customs was checking for fruit and vegetables. She confiscated a tomato and let us go ;D.

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 10:26:29 PM »
Crossing into Canada; liquor, guns and dogs.....somebody help me with the rest of this country song. Iíll split the royalties with you. Letís see, mention a pickup truck and a woman that ran off with a rodeo clown and I think we have the hook for the song.

No train?
Scott
Fulltiming in a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 970W Solar, Trimetric 2030 Battery monitor
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab toad
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster toad braking system

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 05:08:11 AM »

No train?

Maybe we could work the train in by having the wife and rodeo clown hop a train out of town dragging the dog, clenching a bottle of liquor while brandishing a Colt six shooter.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

DennisinMaine

• ---
  • Recently retired, brand new to RVing
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 05:32:44 AM »
Stu's advice works both ways. Coming back they will ask most of the same questions. And don't forget your passport.

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 06:55:21 AM »
     Sorry Gator, the Six Shooter will get you in trouble at the border going either way, and the dog has to have proof that its shots are up to date, so bureaucracy still reigns supreme on both sides of the border.

Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 07:20:42 AM »
"I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison
And I went to pick 'er up in the rain
But before I could get to the station in my pickup truck
She got runned over by a damned ol' train"

From "You Never Even Called Me by My Name" ("the perfect country song"), written by Steve Goodman and sung by David Allan Coe, released in 1975.

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/davidallancoe/youneverevencallmebymyname.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOcH1oHz68c
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 07:23:55 AM by NY_Dutch »
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Hosted by Over The Network