rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Looking to purchase, dent in frame...should I pass? Pic attached..PLEASE HELP  (Read 827 times)

Curlyshirley

Hi there! My little family of 4 is looking to buy a small trailer, a Jayco Feather 7 to be exact.  The seller did state he bought the trailer new with a dent in the tongue of the frame by the propane tank. Should this deter our purchase? Pic attached
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 05:48:03 PM by Curlyshirley »

lynnmor

• ---
That would weaken the frame.  If you can bargain down the price, I would consider purchasing it.  Just make sure that the damage doesn’t extend to other areas.  A good weld shop or heavy duty truck/trailer shop could make short work of a proper repair.

sc4668

• ---
  • 2007 Denali fifth wheel
I personally would pass unless the price was cheep enough to cover the cost of having the tongue frame replaced.

kdbgoat

• ---
Good advice above. I wouldn't trust it the way it is.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2012 Redwood 36RL
2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Curlyshirley

Since we are new to this whole experience your info is much appreciated! The trailer is a 2016, like new and we would be buying for $12,000. Any off the top prices for a new tongue replacement?

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
Since we are new to this whole experience your info is much appreciated! The trailer is a 2016, like new and we would be buying for $12,000. Any off the top prices for a new tongue replacement?

Is the tongue square tubing or channel iron. If it's channel iron, a little bit of heat with a torch and a 3# hammer will remove the dent.
No need to replace the entire tongue IMHO. It looks like someone jack knifed the trailer too sharp and the bumper hit it and only put a dent in it on the outside. No big deal. The tongue material is very thin gage. Just have a welding shop weld on a 1/8" thick steel plate over the dent and put on a good coat of gloss paint. You'll never know the difference. I would use it though to talk the seller down a little more.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 07:23:39 PM by Rene T »
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
In 2000 I bought a 1 year old Arctic Fox trailer from a wrecking yard.  It had flipped onto it's right side and the coupler was bent at a 90 degree angle to the trailer frame.

It took less than half an hour while I was finalizing the deal with the wrecking yard for a welder to cut off the coupler and weld on another at the proper orientation.   I used that trailer for 10+ years without any problems.

Like Rene T said, that dent should be an easy fix for a competent welder.

You can also ask the seller why the tongue jack is bent back at an angle instead of being straight up and down.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 08:59:40 PM by Lou Schneider »

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
You can also ask the seller why the tongue jack is bent back at an angle instead of being straight up and down.

Good eye Lou. It almost looks like the jack is welded into the connection plate on a angle. Strange.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • We go where our wheels take us!

I wasn't sure without seeing it from a different angle if that was just the camera angle, Lou. From this angle, the tube even looks out of square where it's welded to the mounting plate.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Maybe I'm a gambler, but I would not be overly worried about that dent. I don't think it is bad enough to just fold up. Most of the stress is in the vertical plane and that aspect looks to be solid.

I've seen other late model trailers with the tongue jack at an angle like that. Don't know if its sloppy workmanship or some mysterious design feature!
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Curlyshirley

These are few more pics that might show the tongue at a different angle. Thank you so much for all of your help!!

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
I do agree with the folks who said "That will weaken the frame"

However.. I am not sure how significant the weakening would be.. That is a lot of frame for a little trailer.. and it may still be within safety margins.. Or not.. You need an expert to advise you.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • We go where our wheels take us!
I'd be curious, since the original owner says he bought it with the dent, to see how much use the trailer was given. If it traveled pretty extensively without any further damage, then I wouldn't be concerned about it.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

massspike

• ---
I'd find a good trailer sales and repair place and show them your pictures for their opinion. I am fortunate to have one locally and they have been happy to answer my dumb questions so maybe you can find the same.

vinceherman

• ---
What does the rest of the trailer look like?
Have you read through the library ( http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=64&Itemid=132 ) on buying a used trailer?
(hint, look for any signs of water intrusion)
Vince, Marion(dw), Rachel(mil) and Dublin(pup).
2015 F350 diesel dually
2015 Coachmen Chaparral 390QSMB
Strongsville, Ohio

allenb12

• ---
"Just have a welding shop weld on a 1/8" thick steel plate over the dent and put on a good coat of gloss paint. You'll never know the difference. I would use it though to talk the seller down a little more."

This will be stronger than the original gauge material.
2015 Rockwood 2604WS
2012 Ford F250 Diesel Super Duty
Blue Ox Sway Pro