Leaking Skylight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HappyWanderer

I was in the motorhome the other day following a couple days of heavy rain. Figured it was a good time to check for leaks and make sure everything was okay.

Yep, found a minor leak from the shower skylight that wasn't there before. Well, if you're going to have leak, the shower stall is probably the best place for one. We've had a couple of sunny days, so I climbed up there today to caulk the skylight. The caulk was just fine, but there was a small hole in the dome. Looks like a branch hit it during the storm. A piece of duct tape for now, and I need to replace it.

Once again, frequent inspection prevented a small problem from becoming a major issue.

small hole?  I would think you could patch it, roof caulk in hand, should have put a dab over hole.  Get a small piece of plastic water bottle, glue it over hole?

spencerpj said:
small hole?  I would think you could patch it, roof caulk in hand, should have put a dab over hole.  Get a small piece of plastic water bottle, glue it over hole?

MacGuyver  ;) ;) 

The duct tape constituted a fix in my opinion! :)

There was also a small crack near one of the screws, so I'm thinking UV has taken its toll and the plastic is getting brittle after 10 years.

I'll check out the link posted for a replacement. There's a light fixture built in, so I'm hoping that won't make replacement difficult.

Duct tape guickly falls apart in sunshine and rain.

I would have cut out a round patch from Eternabond roof tape to go over the hole.

Insurance may pay to fix this if you have collision or comprehensive.

Comprehensive claims generally don't result in higher premiums as bad driving is not an issue.

HappyWanderer said:
I'll check out the link posted for a replacement. There's a light fixture built in, so I'm hoping that won't make replacement difficult.

You could always mount a porch light on the wall next to the skylight if the built-in light fixture becomes a deal breaker.  In fact, my current Sunnybrook trailer has a regular indoor ceiling light fixture in the shower.  It's OK because it's low voltage.

Back
Top Bottom