FINALLY!!! Got all the pieces in place to start! NoOb FiRsT pOsT...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sfelber9

Hey everyone,

Been lurking in the shadows reading and reading and reading. I would like to thank every one that posted, regardless of good bad or indifferent to allow me to get a grasp on what's needed to camp.

An introduction. Steve and Stacy from Syracuse NY. We were surrogate campers with friends that had a 5th wheel with bunk. The wife fell in love with the whole concept of camping and the search began... That was March 2016... Turned out the truck I had at the time (1500 Silverado with 3.08 gear) wouldn't pull the camper we were interested in. It took me hours to talk the wife off the ledge... What do you mean we have to pick a smaller camper??? Oh, NOOOOOO...  :eek:  I teach folks how to driver tractor trailers so towing and backing are not an issue.

So, the hunt began for a camper in the Half-Ton limits and the notebook filled up. RV show after RV show after RV show... Floor plan after floor plan after floor plan... Narrowed it down to the final 5 campers. Out of all available on the market... 5. There was one that we really liked but was WAAAY out of our budget. The Prime Time Lacrosse 3211RK. 7500 dry, 780 hitch, 2100 CC. Don't slay me because the numbers are off by 5 pounds... LOL... It was a different layout that caught our eye. We favored a rear-living set up with the kitchen on the drivers side and opposing slides.

I'm sure everyone has "been there, done that", so I know I'm not alone in this.

There are several dealers in the Syracuse area that were more than ready to take my money. Phone calls and emails. On a fluke I stopped by one of the dealers and there is was... the 3211RK. Spent over an hour walking and talking with the sales rep. Called the wife, picked her up after work, went back for a visit. 2 hours later we are signing paperwork... If you've been following along, I have a truck that won't tow this camper. So the hunt begins for a tow vehicle.

The car dealer went on the search for a 1/2 ton with the 3.73 rear gear. He found 2... Nope, sold. Found 2 more... Nope, sold. So 3rd time is a charm, right? And it was. Found a GMC Sierra, Texas Edition. 3.73 rear gear. 5.3L V8. Max Tow Package. The research I've done tells me it's got a max tow weight of 10,900. I'll max out the trailer before the truck. (But I won't do that)

Looking forward to swapping stories of bon-fires and beverages with everyone. Anyone in the UpStateNY area that has tips on good campgrounds, please let me know!

See you at the fire pit!

my '00 Silverado came from the factory when i bought it new in 2000, it has the 3.73 rear gears, tow package, rated over 10k as well, love it. and its 2wd, reg cab, 5.3L v8, been one heck of a truck, about 235k miles on her so far ?, still ticking and kicking !.

A 1500 GM with the NHT package (max tow) comes with a 7600 gvwr and 4300 rawr 3.73 gears and 8 speed tranny5.3 with 355 hp and 383 torque. This truck will give you around 1800 lb payload in the bed.

The trailer your looking at show a 9614 GVWR  (7500 dry plus 2114 CCC) By the time the trailer is loaded your looking at close to 9000 lbs.  IMO your gonna' have a 1500 truck close (on the edge) to being maxed out. Also IMO you won't like the performance in the hills and especially in high winds areas on the plains and in the mountains.. The 6.2 engine 420 hp/460 torque/NHT package would make a better tow vehicle for that size trailer.
My wife has a '16 1500 chevy crew cab 4wd same 5.3 smallblock. .At times I pull a 12k flatbed trailer with a 12' tall tractor with a cab (9460 lbs on the trailers axles). No way I would want to pull a 9000 lb load while on vacation.

Don't pass up a new or pre-owned 2500 gas or diesel truck.

longhaul said:
A 1500 GM with the NHT package (max tow) comes with a 7600 gvwr and 4300 rawr 3.73 gears and 8 speed tranny5.3 with 355 hp and 383 torque. This truck will give you around 1800 lb payload in the bed.

The trailer your looking at show a 9614 GVWR  (7500 dry plus 2114 CCC) By the time the trailer is loaded your looking at close to 9000 lbs.  IMO your gonna' have a 1500 truck close (on the edge) to being maxed out. Also IMO you won't like the performance in the hills and especially in high winds areas on the plains and in the mountains.. The 6.2 engine 420 hp/460 torque/NHT package would make a better tow vehicle for that size trailer.
My wife has a '16 1500 chevy crew cab 4wd same 5.3 smallblock. .At times I pull a 12k flatbed trailer with a 12' tall tractor with a cab (9460 lbs on the trailers axles). No way I would want to pull a 9000 lb load while on vacation.

Don't pass up a new or pre-owned 2500 gas or diesel truck.

Looked for 2500's but couldn't find one in the budget. Apparently Chevy isn't going to make the 1500 with the 3.73 rear gear either. So when the dealer found me this one, I figured get it while I could. Now we've got 3 more years of research for a 2500.

We do have some hills here in Up State NY, but nothing like out West. Our plains are limited to the NYS thruway and the flats going through Cortland, so any strain should be short lived.

I think I may have over analyzed everything. Even weighing totes with stuff in it to calculate out how much stuff is...

Thanks for the info.

See you round the fire pit.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your purchases. 

We loved the area around the Finger Lakes but we weren't in the TT at the time so can't help,with campgrounds.  Beautiful location.

Enjoy yourselves.

Welcome to the Forum!

I'm glad you upgraded trucks!  I suspect you will be pushing its' limits, but only when camping.  You will make that determination soon enough!

Get out and enjoy camping!

Back
Top Bottom