Curious jack installed in the overhead light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KodiakJack

Hi folks. I just bought a Viking Epic tent trailer, and had a quick question for those in the know:

One of the overhead lights has a 1/4 inch jack in it. Similar to what you?d find for old stereo headphones or a pilot?s headset. Seems rather odd. Can anyone enlighten me as to what it?s for?

Attachments

• 0AC406D7-4FC6-4E4C-8A9E-06B12CC4A702.jpeg
    0AC406D7-4FC6-4E4C-8A9E-06B12CC4A702.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 100
I wonder if someone added it for access to 12v for radios, etc ??

Sun2Retire said:
I wonder if someone added it for access to 12v for radios, etc ??

Hmmm. So are there TVs and such that would use a plug similar to a stereo plug for 12v power supply?

(I?m very new to this scene)

KodiakJack said:
Hmmm. So are there TVs and such that would use a plug similar to a stereo plug for 12v power supply?

(I?m very new to this scene)

Possibly. It would require that the device could use 12v, in which case one could use a cord with a male connector on each end. I?m just guessing

They were pretty standard on pop-ups, a 12 volt port for a fan or second light. Low current, not for TVs or appliances.

A 1/4" jack like that would have to been added by a previous owner.  It's not my first choice for a 12 volt outlet, most use cigarette lighter sockets.

You'll have to make your own custom cords to adapt the 1/4" plug to whatever you want to power from it.

HappyWanderer said:
They were pretty standard on pop-ups, a 12 volt port for a fan or second light. Low current, not for TVs or appliances.

Interesting...

Thanks!

Lou Schneider said:
A 1/4" jack like that would have to been added by a previous owner.  It's not my first choice for a 12 volt outlet, most use cigarette lighter sockets.

You'll have to make your own custom cords to adapt the 1/4" plug to whatever you want to power from it.

Nah, it?s got an inverter and 120v outlets.

But it?ll make an interesting conversation piece :p

Nothing unusual or custom made, they are standard equipment:

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Optronics/RVIM46.html?feed=npn&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIteWg3aLQ2gIVDdbACh1sbQMtEAQYASABEgJuBPD_BwE

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Lighting/Optronics/RVFL51.html?feed=npn&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIteWg3aLQ2gIVDdbACh1sbQMtEAQYBCABEgLh3vD_BwE

What Happywanderer said. Had them in  a couple Colman pop ups.

KodiakJack said:
Nah, it?s got an inverter and 120v outlets.

But it?ll make an interesting conversation piece :p

Do you have a INverter or a CONverter? Most RV's have a Converter. It converts 120 volt AC to 12 Volt DC For all the lights and most appliances and keeps your battery charged while connected to shore power. The 120 Volt AC outlets are connected directly to shore power through the entrance panel of the RV.

I just searched the Camping world site for the answer. NO joy. Let me try one other site FOUND IT on E-bay

There are two versions of this. With and Without light. I found the one with Light on E-Bay. The jack you cite is where it plugs in.. Gads. Remember seeing these in either CW or General RV so long ago my daughter was (who is not a mother, twice) was in diapers.

Fan/Light combo on E-bay

Rene T said:
Do you have a INverter or a CONverter? Most RV's have a Converter. It converts 120 volt AC to 12 Volt DC For all the lights and most appliances and keeps your battery charged while connected to shore power. The 120 Volt AC outlets are connected directly to shore power through the entrance panel of the RV.

Um... lol

I guess I?ll find out once I get the battery charged up. :p

The previous owner said inverter, but... we?ll see I guess.

Another vote here for plugging in a fan. Our popup had fans on a coiled cord that could be attached to the roof support pole. I think it might have also had a light but it's been too many years to remember!

KodiakJack said:
Um... lol

I guess I?ll find out once I get the battery charged up. :p

The previous owner said inverter, but... we?ll see I guess.

Once it's all charged, unplug the shore power and see if your outlets still work. If they don't, you have a CONverter. If some work, you have a INverter.

Rene T said:
Once it's all charged, unplug the shore power and see if your outlets still work. If they don't, you have a CONverter. If some work, you have a INverter.

So I have a CONverter. A WFCO 8712.

:-/

Had them in my first hybrid trailer.
They are for fans to move air around better, especially heat for slide-out beds.
Mine were located only on lights by beds.
I purchased fans with hooks meant to attached to rods that held canvas up above beds.
Worked great.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RV-Designer-M550-Fan-Light-12V/140247004?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227040654984&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=99871615834&wl4=pla-236383095154&wl5=9028905&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=140247004&wl13=&veh=sem

Koodog said:
Had them in my first hybrid trailer.
They are for fans to move air around better, especially heat for slide-out beds.
Mine were located only on lights by beds.
I purchased fans with hooks meant to attached to rods that held canvas up above beds.
Worked great.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RV-Designer-M550-Fan-Light-12V/140247004?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227040654984&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=99871615834&wl4=pla-236383095154&wl5=9028905&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=140247004&wl13=&veh=sem
We used fans like these on our pop up trailers. Awfully handy when it wasn?t hot enough for the AC, but warm inside.

Thanks for this thread.  The lights in our Coleman that we sold last year to a friend has these jacks and I never investigated their purpose or power.  I will inform him of the availability of the fans.

Rene T said:

So I?m considering this for my 12v power needs. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

I figure the battery read out is nice to have and I can wire it to a toggle switch so it?s not always on. The 12v outlet itself I would wire to a toggle switch so I could control whatever happens to be plugged in there, then the other toggles could just be for future projects... maybe an led porch light... whatever. Thoughts?

Attachments

• B57BAE22-C4D1-43D4-A859-64819158A510.jpeg
    B57BAE22-C4D1-43D4-A859-64819158A510.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 16

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom