Length of vehicle - Estes Park

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DennisinMaine

Hi again
We are planning to go to RMNP in late June. Yes we know it will be crowded.
I like the looks of Estes Park Campground at Mary's Lake which I believe is a state campground. Anyone have first hand experience?
More to the point, my specific question concerns the length limit. The available sites post a limit of 26 feet. As some of you may know from my other post, I have been looking at 28 and 29 footers lately. According to this post, http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,108099.msg973081.html#msg973081 (see reply #6), most campgrounds are not too picky if you are over by a couple feet. Anyone have a different experience?
Thanks again!

I just saw this on the website so I better not chance it:
26' maximum vehicle length in this site is strictly enforced. Please measure your RV or trailer from hitch/tongue to rear bumper. If it is determined upon your arrival that your RV or trailer exceeds this maximum length and a more suitable site is not available, you may forfeit your reservation without a refund.

Always take their word on size.

I have workamped in areas where the TREES were factored in determining length of rig that would fit in that site.

Also some parks have no overflow parking, so they have assumed jumbo SUV parking space in addition to the rig but often the bumper is at the edge of the road.

Yes, we had many people overbook their length!  One guy tried to stuff his 40 foot Class A into a 32 foot site. We heard this roar followed by loud cracks. He had floored it in reverse to shove the trees and undergrowth out of the way!

He pushed over and broke a tree and the ranger was hopping mad and made them leave. I don't know if he refunded their fee or not.

Another popular beach area had a guy arrive in his 40' rig complaining he didn't fit in his 35' site. He was irate they had no other sites to give him. The 40' owner demanded they move some of the small rigs because some small rigs (me included)  had reserved jumbo sites, the ranger said he would not make them/me move or switch. This infuriated the guy even more.

I was waiting behind him at the check-in when this all unfolded. I was of course worried about losing my site that I had reserved a year earlier. I reserved a big site cause I was there for 2 weeks and wanted to set up an outside camp as well as park my RV there.

At another park I had a ranger approach me about giving up my big site for another camper that wanted it because his rig was tight in his site. He fit, just that he didn't have as much room as I had. I said well you made me pay you a year ago to get this site and I would like to keep it. He said well they didn't guarantee site numbers. I said Yes, but I've already set up camp here. So if you want me to move , I don't want his site, but I will go look around the park and pick out another site and you can move them so I can get in and we'll all be happy I guess.

The park was full and suddenly the ranger decided I could keep my prepaid spot.

Just because I travel with a smaller rig, I don't feel like I should have to be stuck with the small sites, the price is the same. I reserved far in advance so I could pick and pay for a nice lot.

Anyhow, keep looking. Plenty of parks cater to jumbo rigs so you're bound to find something. usually where there is an old park that only takes smaller rigs, there is a newer park nearby built for larger rigs.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom