Ft Desoto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
elbeau54 said:
Any members going here first of May. There for 10 days. Whoop
Where is Ft Desoto, what is there and why would I want to go?

Or is this a case of "If I don't already know, then I probably don't want to go?"

Sorry to correct, and it really makes little difference, but Fort DeSoto is a park operated by Pinellas County, along the Gulf of Mexico near St Petersburg.  Here is a link:  http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/05_ft_desoto.htm
    It has some very nice waterfront sites, offers excellent swimming (water temps are now above 75 F), there are several deep fishing charters withing walking distance, lots of walking, biking or kayaking places to explore.  It is only a few miles to all the amenities of the Tampa Bay area, about 5 miles to what has got to be the cheapest Major League Baseball seats anywhere, about a half hour to Stanley Cup hockey playoffs, 20 minutes to travelling Broadway Plays, and lots more.
    It is often booked for up to a year in advance.

Ed

Hfx_Cdn said:
    Sorry to correct, and it really makes little difference, but Fort DeSoto is a park operated by Pinellas County, along the Gulf of Mexico near St Petersburg. 

OOPS. Thanks ED.

I will add that Fort DeSoto is my wife's favorite park.  Generally speaking you would never know that there are 230+ sites, most of which are pretty well screened  from view of the neighbors.  There are pull-through sites that could accommodate the biggest rigs.  The campsites are divided into pets allowed/ no pets allowed, as well as sections for tents and campers (no motorhomes). 

We have kayaks and the number of waterfront sites means that we usually can reserve site that allows us to launch and retrieve from our  site.  It is an usual day that we didn't find dolphins or manatees. County residents  can book 7 months in advance, the rest of peons have to wait and book 6 months in advance.  There is a 2 week limit within a specified period.  Having said that, we were able to book 2 two week periods this past winter.  We typically reserve space at a state park 12 months in advance, then when the 6 month window opens and dates are booked, change / cancel the state park reservations.    Yes, this incurs an added expense, but it beats being frozen out of where we want to be.

To be clear, Fort Desoto is not a "resort".  There is water and electric at each site, no sewer hook ups.  The bath houses are older, but are kept clean.

Back
Top Bottom