Need Advice - Oxygen Use & Coach Hookup at Site

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill N

I am in a bit of a quandary.  Last November I was put on oxygen for just about everything but sitting still.  It is due mainly to COPD.  As a result I am wondering if I will be able to continue to operate the motorhome.  Driving is no problem and all inside tasks can be assisted with oxygen therapy as I have a portable concentrator as well as small tanks for short trips.  The part worrying me the most is doing all the hookups of the toad and at a campsite.  It doesn't take much to get me huffing and puffing without oxygen and having to take a break.  I am wondering how others in the same situation handle this.  I hate to consider selling the coach as the wife and all of our pets love to take short trips in the area as well as maybe one long distance trip a year.  In addition, any RV makes for excellent backup accommodation in case of an emergency at home such as fire/flood/loss of power.
    About the only idea I can come up with for outside tasks is to take either a small tank or my portable concentrator outside and hook up a 25 or 32 ft hose to it to give me walk around room.  Other than hooking up the electric, I know of no open flame or spark problems with hooking up the water and sewer or opening the awnings etc.  Is there anyone who may be in the same situation that could give me some idea of how they handle the situation.  Thanks.

Bill

Rene T said:
Is the DW capable of doing some of those chores?
Probably but she has a good size list of tasks already doing all of the inside, getting the pets unloaded and settled, putting out the slides and doing the jacking from the control panel.  She is more than willing but I am getting to feel pretty useless if I put all that on her too plus I do have some little system to doing the hookups and tear downs as well as hooking up the toad - which we just drive on short local trips.

Bill

My mother is on oxygen at home, as well as having the little portable dolly cart. I know very little about these things, but is it possible to set up a backpack style holder instead of the cart. I know the bottles Mom puts on the cart are not much bigger than a large bottle of soda. Might give you the freedom to move around without having to deal with the cart. I found this one on the internet. Cheers
https://www.sleepeh.ca/product/oxygen/simplygo-portable-oxygen-concentrator-rechargeable-lithium-ion-battery/?gclid=CjwKCAjwiPbWBRBtEiwAJakcpMtTLGenGi_ax4cc2kU3QbixkgmeqDgLlN27w0epkcn2TLQGPqvZ0BoCXDUQAvD_BwE

Thanks for that suggestion.  I do own a portable oxygen concentrator. But the link you provided is just for a battery (yep-$299) and my concentrator was about $2200 and weighs about 6 lbs total with two batteries in it.  Either it or one of my small tanks (no cart) which can be carried is what would be used but I would not put it in a backpack.  To explain, when I haul much of any weight is one of the things that takes away my breathing capacity so all I would be doing is replacing what the backpack takes away and that would leave the amount needed for the exertion of doing the outside work.
    But the replies I am receiving make me think more about the project and develop some more plans.  For example, if I got out and hooked up the power cable first - pretty simple and not too exerting - I could just plug in my portable concentrator inside the coach and snake a 32 ft hose out the window to put on my nose. No need to use batteries or carry it or a tank.  I can insert a swivel in the hose to allow it to not tangle so bad and it may reach all up and down one side of the coach for hookup and tear down purposes.
    Thanks so much again for  taking the time to try and be of help.  I really appreciate it.

Bill

They make small concentrators you can wear like a woman's purse.

When you hook up
Do electric.. then rest
Do sewer, Then rest
Do Water, then rest

Take down in much the same pattern starting with sewer, then water then electric.

Bill, maybe you can trade some of chores so Joan is burdened with everything.  Perhaps you can take over the slides and jacks and Joan could do something else that is more problematic for you.  We also have the indoor (pink) and outdoor (blue) jobs but I do half the toad hookup and could take over the whole thing if necessary.  I hope you can work it out so you can continue doing what you both enjoy so much!

ArdraF

We do the "run the tubing through the window" when I can convince Bob to wear it outside. He has been just going out and getting it done, then coming in and putting the O2 back on to catch his breath. Unfortunately, he is beyond that now and cant build up the reserve. He either takes it with him or I do the tasks. The other day he went out to empty the dog and barely made it back into the coach.

Besides his concentrator, he has a small oxygen tank that only weighs a couple of pounds. Its in a case that has shoulder strap on it so he can sling it over his arm to carry it. Again, only when I put my foot down and make him put use it. Hes a bit stubborn.

John From Detroit said:
They make small concentrators you can wear like a woman's purse.

When you hook up
Do electric.. then rest
Do sewer, Then rest
Do Water, then rest

Take down in much the same pattern starting with sewer, then water then electric.
That is what mine is John but wearing it is not that easy as it hangs by a shoulder strap or is hung backpackstyle.  But the system you post is the one I will be using.  Thanks for that suggestion.

Bill

ArdraF said:
Bill, maybe you can trade some of chores so Joan is burdened with everything.  Perhaps you can take over the slides and jacks and Joan could do something else that is more problematic for you.  We also have the indoor (pink) and outdoor (blue) jobs but I do half the toad hookup and could take over the whole thing if necessary.  I hope you can work it out so you can continue doing what you both enjoy so much!

ArdraF

Thanks so much Ardra.  Joan & I are talking about what you mentioned but, to me, the toad hookup is too dangerous to put her between the coach and car.  She does driving of the toad to the hookup.  I am happy for the encouragement I am getting on this thread.  Today we are driving down to Branson so check out some campgrounds and make a couple of reservations including the July 4th holiday.  We used to stay home on July 4 until our Russian neighbors pooled their money and bought enough fireworks to start WWIII and they do it every year.  Last year we took our three animals and headed out to Branson and returned to firework debris all over the top of our house and several others.  The police have now visited them and put them on notice.  Fireworks are only legal 2 nights in this city.  Got off the subject - sorry.

Bill

cadee2c said:
We do the "run the tubing through the window" when I can convince Bob to wear it outside. He has been just going out and getting it done, then coming in and putting the O2 back on to catch his breath. Unfortunately, he is beyond that now and cant build up the reserve. He either takes it with him or I do the tasks. The other day he went out to empty the dog and barely made it back into the coach.

Besides his concentrator, he has a small oxygen tank that only weighs a couple of pounds. Its in a case that has shoulder strap on it so he can sling it over his arm to carry it. Again, only when I put my foot down and make him put use it. Hes a bit stubborn.

You sound like the exact person who understands my situation as you are also in it.  Your description of Bob and his exertion level matches mine.  I do the yard poop patrol and have to walk a bit over to dispose of it.  By that time I am really huffing (no tank).  For some strange reason, that only happens walking on grass.  On concrete I can go further - I can make it to the electric carts at Walmart.....lol.  We also have the same equipment - portable concentrator and small tanks but on a long trip we would have no way to fill the tanks so the portable concentrator would be my main source.  One difference - Joan does not have to put her foot down for me to put on the oxygen - I seem to like living and breathing too much......lol.  Thanks for that reply.

Bill

The small tank with the bag and shoulder strap is alot easier to wear if you can lengthen the strap enough to wear it crossbody style. Over your head so its on one shoulder while the tank rides on the other hip. It doesnt slide off your shoulders that way and is less likely to be a hassle.

Thank was going to be my next move Caryl.  In fact I did that this afternoon when going to the doctor and it worked fine.

Bill

When we were in Georgia last Feb. I have pneumonia that turned my small shortness of breath issue into a big one.  I needed to be on oxygen for a short time in the RV after I got out of the Hospital.  They provided me with a concentrator and about 8 small oxygen bottles.  I had a choice of a shoulder strap pack or a backpack for the bottles.  I chose the backpack so I could work outside and lean over without the oxygen bottle swinging around or getting in the way.  This worked great.  That was only a short time experience but I feel I would have no problem handling all my RV chores if I needed oxygen full time.  I would opt for the backpack for outside work or walking.  I would use the concentrator inside and for sitting outside the RV. Get a long hose and run it out the window as suggested above.  Good luck!  I hope you continue your RVing!

RVfixer said:
When we were in Georgia last Feb. I have pneumonia that turned my small shortness of breath issue into a big one.  I needed to be on oxygen for a short time in the RV after I got out of the Hospital.  They provided me with a concentrator and about 8 small oxygen bottles.  I had a choice of a shoulder strap pack or a backpack for the bottles.  I chose the backpack so I could work outside and lean over without the oxygen bottle swinging around or getting in the way.  This worked great.  That was only a short time experience but I feel I would have no problem handling all my RV chores if I needed oxygen full time.  I would opt for the backpack for outside work or walking.  I would use the concentrator inside and for sitting outside the RV. Get a long hose and run it out the window as suggested above.  Good luck!  I hope you continue your RVing!

Thanks for your post. Of course I intend to try and carry the tank around a bit as well as utilize the long hoses I have.  I think my small battery powered concentrator which weighs 6 lbs with both batteries will be the best overall as you never have to fill it like a tank.  Only thing about carrying the tank is that weight is my major enemy which brings on exertion so the long tube and rest in between chores may wind up being the best solution.  Now if I have to climb on the roof (last choice) for some reason, that tank or concentrator will be strapped tightly to me......lol. Thanks again.  When I started the thread I was pretty disgusted with myself for getting into this condition but just talking about it and exchanging ideas has moved me from possible sale of the RV to looking forward to its use.  Even went down to Branson yesterday and picked out some sites for two getaways in May and June.    Thanks to all.

Bill.

i can't add anything specifically, don't know anything about that equipment or that problem....
but to comment on motorhome set-up at a destination....
that's one thing I love about it compared to our old pop-up camper.  Set up can be as simple or as complex as we want it or need it to be.  There have been many times when I've backed into a site after a long drive, engaged the parking brake and shut down the chassis, take a few steps back and stretch out on the sofa....  Then, sometime much later that evening I might go out and plug in the electric.  Many times I never even bother with the water.
If we'll be running into town later, or if it's buggy out or whatever we don't bother with the chairs, rug, and awning.... We just keep it simple and do it in small pieces.

blw2 said:
  Set up can be as simple or as complex as we want it or need it to be.  There have been many times when I've backed into a site after a long drive, engaged the parking brake and shut down the chassis, take a few steps back and stretch out on the sofa....  Then, sometime much later that evening I might go out and plug in the electric.  Many times I never even bother with the water.
If we'll be running into town later, or if it's buggy out or whatever we don't bother with the chairs, rug, and awning.... We just keep it simple and do it in small pieces.

Very good point Brad.  For whatever reason, I am conditioned to go into set-up mode as soon as the engine is turned off.  I think modifying that may lead to an easier transition.  But I know the lady of the family has her routine down pretty pat so I'll let her get going on her stuff and I will just go out and look over things and maybe wait a bit to do anything other than plug in the power.  Sewer is definitely not needed early on and water is also delayable because the coach tank can provide just fine.  Never put chairs and mats out until later anyway.  Gonna try that system and see if we can keep it down to an enjoyable level.  Good input.

Bill

Hey Bill  I have some problems with my heart and cant do what I want to some times. I have seen some sound advice here on this site. Just pace yourself do things in small doses and then rest.  Remember don't hurry take your time and ask for help. Its not a shame to ask someone in the cg to lend a hand. People are more than willing to help. That's what keeps us old folks going. Just enjoy your hobby of RVing and ask them young one to help and they will trust me. After all the young one love to set around and listen to us old guys telling stories.  Chief

Thanks for that encouragement Chief.  I have been learning more and more since going on oxygen that doing things in small spurts is the only way to go.  We have a huge backyard that I have fenced off a small part for our small dog.  The large part is cut by professionals but I have to cut the small part because their big mower can't access it.  I sit my oxygen tank in a chair, start off my self-propelled mower and cut that yard in about 3 increments taking breaks and sitting with the oxygen for a bit.  I could carry the oxygen but a little dangerous with the mower and plus the effort would just add the need for more oxygen.  But, as you say, take life in small chunks.........lol    Thanks.

Bill

An electric mower is great for a small area like a dog run, and they are quite light, easy to maneuver, and safe for oxygen users.  Don't need tune-ups or oil changes either.  ;)

Back
Top Bottom