tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kyoko

Have a 2005 HR Neptune that needs new rear tires. Have Roadmasters on the front. The current china bombs are 5 yrs old and I just don't trust them. Any opinions on brands? I'm thinking Goodyear or Yokohama. Thanks

Bought Toyo's four years ago when we bought the DP. Put 30,000 miles on them, they have survived some rough roads and are holding up great. I would not hesitate to buy them again.

Kyoko said:
Have a 2005 HR Neptune that needs new rear tires. Have Roadmasters on the front. The current china bombs are 5 yrs old and I just don't trust them. Any opinions on brands? I'm thinking Goodyear or Yokohama. Thanks
China bombs? Goodyear and Michelin don't have anything to brag about. I wouldn't buy either one of those brands of tires.

My buddy took off a set of Saliruns a couple years ago that were 8 years old and never had a crack in them.

Charlie 5320 said:
China bombs? Goodyear and Michelin don't have anything to brag about. I wouldn't buy either one of those brands of tires.

I must not be so particular because I really like my current Michellins, liked my Hankooks (very good value), and thought my Goodyears were pretty darn good too.

Hankooks were probably the best for the price tires I have bought.  I see them everywhere so your won't be the first one's they made! ;)

Bought Hankooks two years ago for our 33' Georgetown.  Went to Alaska for two months that year and have put another 5K on them since.  No problems ever and they still look like new.....price was 2300$, mounted and balanced.....very satisfied...Bob

Charlie 5320 said:

My buddy took off a set of Saliruns a couple years ago that were 8 years old and never had a crack in them.
Took off a 6 Jin Jyu Chinese tires this year that were almost 10yrs old from drive/tandem and 2 7yr old Michelin XZA2 off steer and all looked identical as far as cracks/wear.

I recommend trying RVTires.com. They have brand name tires, like Goodyear, with free mounting at any of their network of local tire dealers - nationwide. Tires are available for motorhomes, travel & 5th wheel trailers, pickups and cars....all with free mounting and the tires come with 1 year road hazard tire replacement protection. RVTires.com

You couldn't pay me enough to ever run Goodyears again, on anything I own.  We ran them a short while at work on our OTR trucks as well and they still didn't impress me.  I've personally had good luck with Toyo's but the best ride and performance from either Michelin's or Bridgestone's.  On our OTR trucks we have been running Michelin's for the past 15+ years now but are currently doing some testing on a few of our tractors with Bridgestone's and the results are looking promising there as well.  I had Bridgestone R250's on my last two coaches and really liked them.

Mike

kinda like ford vs chevy in my thinking.

Long time ago My dad had a set of michelins on an F-150 that ran an absolutely insane number of miles and years....I can't remember the numbers now, but it was way beyond any sort of rating...absolutely jaw dropping.  I always wanted michelins but being the more expensive option I never did run them on my cars.

Well, guess what my new MH had on it.  OEM Michelins.  They cracked and one went boom well before it's time.  They were good riding and looked to be well wearing, and were quiet running...good traction too.  BUT...I'm kinda gun shy now and would not likely buy michelins unless it was my only choice.  I guess it's like most everything, good ones and bad ones, and sometimes it's just luck.

Replaced with Yokohamas on the MH which so far have been every bit as good in all departments.  time will tell if they hold up any better.

Ran continentals on my silverado, probably the smoothest tires I've ever run with the most consistently good traction from new to worn.  The only thing was they didn't hold up to their mileage 'rating'.  Ran several sets of them.  Recently went cheap, with some 'store brand' form Discount tire.  The things are noisy and even new traction isn't as good as the continentals were worn out.

China bombs? Five years and holding up, we were blessed with ability to choose tire manufacturers.
I hope that we will still have the ability to buy China bombs, I have a feeling the prices will be going way up and now won?t have a cheaper options for Tire.
I replaced my tires w Toyo also they are great tires.

Last year I went with Continental's through the FMCA tire program. Saved over $100.00 per tire over the discounted Michalans. Ride good and no problems.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom