Propane troubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bied10

I am on my first trip of the year.  We have run the heat at night without issue,  but we only get propane to the stove while the furnaces is running.  We have full tanks.  I am stumped.   
The stove is supplied before the furnace.  Any ideas?

Go outside, turn off the gas at the tanks.  If you have a manual switch, select only one tank.  Slowly turn the valve back on.  Go inside and try lighting the stove top burners.  Please report back the results.

same results.  Nothing on the stove works.  I turned the furnace on and it fired right away.  As son as the furnace runs , the stove will light.    I leave the stove on,  turn the furnace off.  The stove will slowly burn out.

My first thought would be check the gas pressure leaving the regulator. Someone else recently had the same/similar problem, but I can't remember who it was, or what the fix was.

You seem to have adequate gas pressure (11" WC) cause the furnace runs ok, but when the furnace starts gulping LP, there isn't enough volume of flow to support anything else. I'm assuming both tanks perform the same way, but you should verify that.  Assuming that, it sounds like  (1) a partially clogged regulator, or (2) a crimp or clog in the supply line after the regulator. A little oil in the regulator can mess it up.

Have you run the water heater on LP?  Does it have the same effect on the stove?

Gary

The way I read the OP he is saying that the only time the furnace will run is when the furnace IS running.  If you don't run the furnace that is no propane to the stove.

I Have not seen that problem before but I wold suspect the regulator...for some reason it will supply a large demand but not a small demand...just guessing...I have no experience with this one.  If I didn't have a manometer to check the regulator I'd replace it.

Gary is correct.  It will run only when the furnace is on.  I might just replace the regulator and see of that helps.

OK...???  You have me confused.  I'll just stand off and watch.  I am interested in what the fix is.

Ok, in your RV is a device, near the floor, likely near the stove, a PROPANE detector.  Does it have a SWITCH on it..

I'm thinking somethign is wired wonkey

Nope.  I have a detector,  but it isn't hooked up to the propane system at all.  (But good thought)

I just left the RV store with a new regulator.  I will keep you posted.

So......  I replaced my regulator.  All the propane works now.  I have never heard of anyone having this problem,  but Gary had a great thought.  I almost bought a regulator yesterday just to try something,  but Gary's reasoning made sense so we drove 45 minutes too Camping World (Another story for a later time) .  My fridge hasn't been working either but I figured it might all be related so I didn't mention it.  It seems to be working again too. 

Thanks for ALL the ideas.  I hope to be up and running for the rest of the trip.    If any of you happen to be at Talladega,  stop by infield 333 red and grab a beer.

Back
Top Bottom