fifth wheel hitch installation (DC/VA/MD) / recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kkaufman

Hi all, looking for recommendations on where to have a fifth wheel hitch installed near/around Washington, DC & Recommendations on what hitch to buy.

We have a 2016 Ram 2500HD with an 8 foot bed and will be towing an approx. 30 fifth wheel, around 12k lbs.

We are first timers so ease of use hitching/unhitching and stability are super important but there seems to be a wide range in price, so not sure if top of the line is worth the $$.

So far, we have a quote to install a Reese titan dual jaw 16k (https://www.amazon.com/REESE-Titan-30866-Fifth-Capacity/dp/B007Q1EZA2). Hitch plus rail kit, bracket kit and labor for about $1,200. is that an OK price?

Just a suggestion... Call or find a place like this: https://www.beckleysrvs.com/?_vsrefdom=ourbr&utm_campaign=73214588&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIofCpxtrT2gIVRFgNCh31jgANEAAYASAAEgLuGvD_BwE

Suggest you look to an 18K hitch.  Make an appointment for them to look at your tow vehicle, you need to understand if your vehicle is hitch ready or if they need extensive install of tow package gear.  I used them years ago, my vehicle was factory prep ready, however I have no idea if yours is ready or not.  Let the experts quote and prepare, that's just my opinion.

IF you have a gooseneck ball in the bed, I would strongly recommend the Andersen Ultimate, which attaches to the gooseneck ball.  This is a 10 min install you can do yourself.  I have one and love how light it is, how easy it is to install and remove, and, most important, how smoothly it tows.

We had ours installed by Chesaco  RV in Frederick,MD.  Can't remember just what we paid but that doesn't sound outrageous.  Hubby says labor alone is $100/hour and it takes several hours.  We have a Reese 16k sliding hitch.  You don't need a slider with an 8 ft bed.  He says installation time will vary,depending on different kinds of truck. 

I don't know if there is one design that is easier to use than another,as we have only experienced this hitch.

Welcome to the forum and the RVing lifestyle!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom