Belt Replacement, simple?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello from the UK....
I have a 1991 Fleetwood Flair on an E350 chassis with the 460 engine and decided the squealing belts needed to be changed this year.
As you can see from the photo, the bolt that holds the bottom of the alternator to the holding cast bracket needs loosening to move the alternator in order to remove the tension on one of the belts. The only problem is, it won't move. I have tried heat cycles, large bars, everything, but I am very concerned about braking the bracket and parts for this RV are not easy to obtain here in the UK.
Any advice or experience would be greatly received, we love our RV but we always arrive with a headache  :eek:
Thanks everyone.
Greg.

Attachments

• 1524644840627.JPEG
    1524644840627.JPEG
    138.2 KB · Views: 104
Repeated applications of penetrating oil over a period of two days, then try again.  If it still won?t budge, heat with a propane torch.

lynnmor said:
Repeated applications of penetrating oil over a period of two days, then try again.  If it still won?t budge, heat with a propane torch.

:)) :)) :)) :)) :))

Make sure you spray where the threads go into the head, not the bolt head. 

50-50 mixture of automatic transmission fluid and acetone has always worked well for me. Don't mix too much of a batch. For some reason, it doesn't seem to keep it's penetrating abilities after the mixture sits on the shelf for a long period of time.

Thanks a million everyone, will let you know how I get on, will be applying advice over the next week or so. I have also been told I could drill 1 or 2 very small hold in the cast collar just to the point of reaching the steel bolt and getting some fluids in the holes to reach the shaft of the bolt. I think this will be the last resort though!
Thanks again, love this site.
Greg.

I'd apply penetrating oil at both ends, the threads for sure but also where the head of the bolt passes through the bracket and enters the alternator body.  Soak them well, there's no such thing as using too much penetrating oil.  ;)

All the above plus impact. It will be difficult to strike the bolts because of location,but maybe a long punch and hammer being careful not to deform bolt head or break alt.housing.  I?ve had success with an air hammer and mushroom head attachment applied to the aluminum sleeve on alternator. It?s frozen by corrosion between aluminum alt. and steel bolt.

More fantastic advice, thanks guys, have taken it all on board and have already started the daily applications, feeling confident quietly  :-X will be posting the (positive) outcome soon.  :))

You'll be fine, good luck, and give us an update.  Not saying it can't happen, but those bolts are hardened steel, and personally I've never heard or seen one break.

That has been an ongoing problem with Fords for many years. A steel bolt in all that aluminum is always a issue. As preciously noted, liberally apply anti-seize when reassembling.
I would try a socket and break over bar. After applying pressure, get the hammer out and start beating on the aluminum. At least that would get my attention. GRIN

Hello everyone. Thank you all for your advice and support, we have just come back from a long trip and I have been spraying the bolt as instructed each day (image attached). All I need to do now is book some ramp time to give the bolt another go at coming out! In the meantime, (this could help others in the same situation) I have been using Belt Slip (image attached) this works for most of the day before the squeak starts to come back. Will let you know how I get on with the bolt!

Attachments

• deblock.PNG
    deblock.PNG
    181.3 KB · Views: 27
  • beltslip.PNG
    beltslip.PNG
    32 KB · Views: 13
There is a video on You Tube where someone tested multiple Penetrants including the 50/50 Tranny fluid and Acetone mix.

I think Liquid wrench was either best or #2.. Wd 40 and the 50/50 milx came in last and next to last in the reverse order.

I am going to jump out on limb here, have you looked for a tensioner pulley? Of what I am able to see it looks like you have a serpentine belt and all the serpentine belts I have changed had pulley tensioner, which are spring loaded and are usually in the most difficult place you can to get to.

I dont think that Alternator is your tensioner.  As Conquest said there should be a pulley on a spring. Usually put a ratchet on it and pull it and slip belt off.

I owned a 91 Tioga on a E350 460 chassis and I can guarantee you that the alternator is the tensioner. As I stated in my previous post, that steel bolt is corroded in the aluminum pivot point of the alternator. In fact my 95 F53 is set up the same.  I had to use a BIG break over bar and heat the portion of the alternator the bolt goes through.

Hi everyone,
Thanks Ghostman and Conquest2011, I only wish you were right, but alas, rls7201 is correct, the 460 has 2 serpentine belts, as you can see in the image attached, the drivers side belt has the tensioner (pulley replaced already in the hope it was the source of the squeak). But the passenger side belt is tensioned by adjusting the alternator. Also, you cannot remove the drivers side belt without first removing the passenger side. Thanks for the tip there rls7201, was a little concerned by heating that too much in case I damaged the wire coil. Aiming to get some ramp time booked soon.

Attachments

• 460.gif
    460.gif
    11.6 KB · Views: 24
This likely will NOT work with you but ...

In working with bolts that were "Frozen" in the past (But in the threaded portion not the alternator) I have occasionally removed the bolt head.

Then I was able to slide (in the specific it was a starter) off and tab the remaining bolt with a hammer and screw it out .. Using my fingers.
Yup. removing the tension made a bid difference.

But in your case it's the "Shank" part that is frozen. 

As for heating.
Aluminum will "Expand" when heated. So does Steel of the bolt. but not nearly as much.. You might get by with 150 degrees or so. That wont harm the alternator.

Put the big wrench on the bolt then light the torch and frewuently tug on the wrench.  It should not take much.

If you can get your hands on some penetration oil called Yield. It will unsieze it. It is sold through chemsearch. I use it in industrial application all the time. I have been amazed how it works. We have broke wrenches before and sprayed it on. Few minutes it comes loose.

Back
Top Bottom