Shore power recepticals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigNormitasca

I understand the basics of shore power as far as amrage and 12v and 110v.  But on my 1976 itasca c25c on the exterior t here is a 15/20 amp female receptical just like whats in a home and a female 30 amp 110 receptical. Everything ive seen on shore power says there should be a male 30 amp connector or a permanently attached cord with male prongs on the end of it. But mine only has the female plugs. Is this correct or has it been modified sonewhere along the line?  It would require a male to male extension cord to hook up to shore power which i cant find online which is what led me to beleive somethings amiss here.

Thanks for any assistance

you're right....

my bet is that the 30 Amp female receptacle was a jury rigged replacement.

To be sure, i suppose you'd have to chase the wiring coming from that plug to see where it goes.

The adapter you mention, male to male, is called a bootleg cord
it is not safe

I can tell you from first hand experience....
I was forced one time at work to deal with such a set-up for a time.  Even though I knew about it, was fully aware, and was always extremely careful with it, I got bit hard once when I was tired and had a millisecond long moment of stupidity.
I firmly grasped that hot bootleg plug with my right hand.  My forearm felt like it was pulsing at 60Hz
  remember the scene in the film, The Right Stuff where Alan Shepherd was undergoing test in the lab and they hooked electrodes to his hand causing his fist to pulse open and close uncontrollably?  It was like that except my hand did not open. It was clamped shut
It took every bit of concentration I could muster to force my hand open to drop the plug.
I'm convinced I probably would have died had my feet been grounded.

I've read about other RV'ers who have had problems with their twist lock connectors.  When they find out how much replacements cost, they go cheap...just like this.

This is what you'll need for a cord:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005BNZGCS/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvpv2_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3534659722&pd_rd_wg=eWHkw&pf_rd_r=VB7H1B9S6BFW5JDFWVR7&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-bottom-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B005BNZGCS&pd_rd_w=DjbeM&pf_rd_i=30+amp+receptacle+for+rv&pd_rd_r=79ce6464-28f8-4264-a0cc-b9404e113c40&ie=UTF8&qid=1524685426&sr=1

This is what you'll need for the RV:
https://www.amazon.com/RV-cord-Power-Twist-Inlet-Stainless/dp/B075S7FTG2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1524685587&sr=8-5&keywords=rv+30+amp+receptacle&dpID=41udivEZZAL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

This is only an idea to show you what you need. There are ways of getting around buying a new cable. You should be able to buy a plug and put it on the cable you have now.

My Motor home also has a 15 amp outlet outside, but on the Curb side, not the "Services" side
And a pair of TT-30's. also on the "Curb" (Patio) side but burried

And a 50 amp inlet on the service side

WHY.. Well I've had to "Daisy Chain" a 2nd RV a couple of times already adn my house when I had one.

I think it likely that the female 30A outlet is wired to the generator output, and you plug the coach shore power cord into it to use generator power. That implies that you have a hard wired shore cord somewhere (perhaps missing!) or a twist-lock male receptacle for a detachable cord. So keep looking for a shore cord or a place to connect one.

Back in the day is was common to build coaches without automatic generator transfer switches. Only the high end models had the fancy auto-transfer.

Update: yeah you guys were correct in that its the generator output plug. I found the shore cable buried close by with the entire plug ejd cut off for some reason. At sone point sone thieves had stolen the aux battery and just cut the cables to take the battery but im not sure why anyone would bother cutting the plug end off the 30 amp cord.

I've had my male end of the 30 amp cord have a close meltdown and had to cut it off the put on a new one.

Maybe they just cut it off and didn't get around to replacing it.

People do strange things to their RV's rather than fix them or they get the job half done, then the rig sits, then it's sold and the half done jobs go with it.

I like Camco's small 30 amp male plug, easy to get in and out of the generator, nice handle on it. Mine had the same manual switch over. Unplug from generator, then plug into shore power. Unplug from shore, then plug into generator, so if I needed generator power later, I am already attached.

Camco Mini 30 amp male plug:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HFT034

I think your receptacles are for using not for connecting to power source.  My rig had outside outlets for plugging in a fan or stereo or light etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeeRob
Back
Top Bottom