Awnings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gjguest

Has any one tried to make their own awning?  Not just the material.  Looking for ideas for the tube and arms.  I am on a budget that does not include $800+ for an awning.  Any suggestions would be great.

gjguest said:
Has any one tried to make their own awning?  Not just the material.  Looking for ideas for the tube and arms.  I am on a budget that does not include $800+ for an awning.  Any suggestions would be great.

Years ago I made own out of a blue tarp. I cut off about 2" on one side and the DW sewed a bead along that edge. Then I slid it into the track of the RV. I used 2" X 2" post under each grommet on the opposite side. I used a 1/4-20 cap screw screwed into the end of the post and the bolt would stick up into the grommets. Then I was able to tie ropes around the ends of the bolts and ran the ropes down to a stake in the ground.

My first "RV" was a '72 Scotty Hilander TT.  I used Rene's blue tarp, but I used loops of paracord in the grommets and slid the knots of paracord into the track on the trailer.  Got some extendible poles from an old canopy and used at the outer corners with guy ropes.  Unfortunately, the only pics that remain of that Scotty don't show it with the awning deployed.

Side note, try an RV salvage yard or repair shop and see if you could find a second hand manual A&E that somebody replaced with an electric awning.  I know the shop I use in N. Arkansas has several laying around he'd probably sell cheap.

I made awnings to go over my windows from 1?  PVC pipe, corrugated plastic, HD Velcro, and a door sweep. Keeps out the rain, and sun.

Amazon is selling a manual crank out sun shade awning 8'x7' for $150. I'm about to buy one myself. The reviews are pretty good from what I've read.

gjguest said:

If you are on a budget, perhaps you should consider a fold up canopy instead. We have a fiberglass pole type 8x8 that we picked up for $10 at a garage sale. Somebody else in the ATV club just bought one that folds up, so they don't even have to detach the top fabric. They just shorten the legs and pull the corners together and it fits right in the bag like that. They paid $90, if I recall.

Plus, if you take the canopy route, you can pay extra for one with walls to make it an enclosed porch to keep the bugs out. Those range from $50 for a 10'x10' made out of tarp fabric or $300 for a more robust version.

I would look to see if there is a RV scrap yard near you. There may be one there you can buy that can be fitted to your unit.
RichH

Back
Top Bottom