EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Awnings  (Read 415 times)

gjguest

• ---
Awnings
« on: April 25, 2018, 04:52:17 PM »
Has any one tried to make their own awning?  Not just the material.  Looking for ideas for the tube and arms.  I am on a budget that does not include $800+ for an awning.  Any suggestions would be great.

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
Re: Awnings
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 05:03:41 PM »
Has any one tried to make their own awning?  Not just the material.  Looking for ideas for the tube and arms.  I am on a budget that does not include $800+ for an awning.  Any suggestions would be great.

Years ago I made own out of a blue tarp. I cut off about 2" on one side and the DW sewed a bead along that edge. Then I slid it into the track of the RV. I used 2" X 2" post under each grommet on the opposite side. I used a 1/4-20 cap screw screwed into the end of the post and the bolt would stick up into the grommets. Then I was able to tie ropes around the ends of the bolts and ran the ropes down to a stake in the ground.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Former Phantom Fixer
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 06:56:27 AM »
My first "RV" was a '72 Scotty Hilander TT.  I used Rene's blue tarp, but I used loops of paracord in the grommets and slid the knots of paracord into the track on the trailer.  Got some extendible poles from an old canopy and used at the outer corners with guy ropes.  Unfortunately, the only pics that remain of that Scotty don't show it with the awning deployed.

Side note, try an RV salvage yard or repair shop and see if you could find a second hand manual A&E that somebody replaced with an electric awning.  I know the shop I use in N. Arkansas has several laying around he'd probably sell cheap.
Wally Crow
Retired 30 year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Jwall62

• ---
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 09:29:17 PM »
I made awnings to go over my windows from 1  PVC pipe, corrugated plastic, HD Velcro, and a door sweep. Keeps out the rain, and sun.
2016 Coleman 192RDS
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z71