Sat TV Connection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grashley

The dish on the FW is shot.  To watch Sat TV at home, I ran a coax cable from my dish to the camper, thru the LR slide weather strip to the DirecTV box.  Worked well.

To make a more permanent, easily disconnected system, I am considering:

A.  Run a 4 ft coax from the box, thru the weather strip (when extended), duct tape to the side of the slide.  Connect to coax from house with a barrel connector.  When traveling, disconnect barrels, pull slide in and go.  End of short coax is now inside camper.  When setting up, coax goes out with the slide.

B.  Connect dish coax to coax in "utility" box by the water connections (designed for camp cable?).  As I understand, this goes to the TV antenna pre amp behind the TV.  With the pre amp off, the signal would come from the sat.  With the pre amp on, I use a different source for the antenna.  Will this TV antenna signal fed to the DirecTV box damage the box?  Would this work?

C.  Other suggestions?

If you want to use the factory cable connection for satellite, you'll need to bypass the OTA antenna switch completely and run a coax direct to the sat receiver. If you want to retain the cable input capability, you'll either need a new run to the outside for the sat connection, or use a couple of A/B coax switches to switch the existing input between the two  connections. In my Class A, I ran a new coax to the electrical bin where the cable input is, and added a second input for the sat dish. That lets me hook up both if I want to.

The new RG-6 Coax is a good idea but consider this.. You ALREADY have several holes in the floor of your RV and a channel that leads to them.
On motor homes with overhead ELectronics you can drop down the "A" pillar (First non-glass portion) to under the dash, out thorugh the firewall and mound a Ground block in the engine compartment. Mine is on the Brake Bell Crank Bracket.  (I also have a now useless dome and an A(bove) B(elow) switch.  The BBcB is of course the B side)

On a trailer.. Get into the utility tunnel, this is a "Step" that is along the edge of the RV at one wall. it connectes any portion WITH PLUMBING.. now you can drop down into the Wet bay and from there to any compartmetn you choose to mount the ground block in.

Thank You.  Dutch says NO!! to option B as described. I will not go that way.
John offers a good alternative.  This is in a slide, so running the wire is not easy, but what in an RV is easy?

Option A  required no new holes, just a coax thru the slide weatherstrip.  Are there reasons NOT to do this?

Pinching the coax in the slide out can cause issues but there may still be a way to run it.. Heck, I have no problem driling and installing a cable feed through  you get at an RV store.. This is very much like what you find on most Trailers from teh fractory mount it square and if needed paint it the right color and it looks like a factory install.. I have 3 of 'em that way too.

Back
Top Bottom