EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Rm1350 refer not cooling  (Read 1209 times)

Coopster8

• ---
Re: Rm1350 refer not cooling
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2018, 07:58:33 AM »
 Ok.. last thing I try and if cooling unit dont work, time to buy a new refer.. 😔 we have tried everything else.. and someone said cooling unit might be bad, looks like the best way to try it out for find out for sure..

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2018, 09:26:59 AM »
Also looking at getting a new cooling unit, and i see that they have insulation around the pipes.. mine dont have.. should they??

The function of the cooling unit requires that portions of it shed heat, so insulation would be counter-productive. Usually any insulation is at the boiler and the tube immediately above it and is a safety measure to protect the surroundings from the intense heat (about 350 F at that point).  Up near the top, there is a condensor that sheds heat to bring the coolant back to liquid and that must NOT be insulated on any way. Secondary heat shedding occurs at the two evaporators, which press firmly against the back wall of the fridge and conduct heat from the fins on the fridge interior.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2018, 09:36:18 AM »
You do not need a new cooling unit if the fridge cools adequately under one circumstances and not others. It's the same cooling unit no matter what the circumstances.   But if it fails to cool in all modes and circumstances, then the cooling unit is the most likely culprit.

Based on your comments in Replies 13 & 14, it appears that LP mode does NOT cool, yet you reported 33 F while driving to the shop. If it were me, I would revisit the circumstances where [apparently] the fridge cooled OK and verify that whether that drive-time reading was a fluke or maybe a faulty measurement. Always measure the temperature as kdbgoat described, using a thermometer in water and allow time to stabilize. 
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

gravesdiesel

• ---
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2018, 09:48:57 AM »
Could this be a 12v DC issue?  Maybe the voltage is low, coming from the converter/battery, versus when driving, when it could be 13.8-14v?  I know the 12v DC only runs the control board, relay and fans, but it seems everything else has been verified.
2016 KZ Spree 262 RKS
2003 Dodge 3500 4 door flatbed 4x4 diesel, 6 speed
1996 Dodge 3500 extra cab flatbed 4x4 diesel 5 speed
2006 Arctic Cat TRV diesel 4x4 ATV
(2) 1981 Yamaha G1 2 cycle golf carts
Many other diesels on the farm!

regval

• ---
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2018, 10:32:39 AM »
Could this be a 12v DC issue?  Maybe the voltage is low, coming from the converter/battery, versus when driving, when it could be 13.8-14v?  I know the 12v DC only runs the control board, relay and fans, but it seems everything else has been verified.
Most RV refrigerators will work normally with the DC volts as low as 9.5V DC. The panel lights will even stay on with DC volts as low as 5V. However, there is a possibility that there may be AC volts riding on the DC volt source (referred to as AC ripple) and can cause erratic operation of the control board. Measuring the DC voltage with the DVM set to AC voltage should be done to determine if there is any AC voltage component while the camper is hooked up to shore power.  You would not get any AC ripple voltage from the trailer battery while driving.  So... just a thought for consideration.
2005 Forest River TT 27BHSS and 2009 Heartland Sundance 2998RB 5vr
2007 Chev Silverado 2500HD WT crew cab, LB, 6.6L, Allison 6sp, B&W Companion Hitch
Retired Biomedical Engineer

"Some come to the fountain of knowledge to drink, others just gargle."

Coopster8

• ---
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2018, 10:34:47 AM »
Based on your comments in Replies 13 & 14, it appears that LP mode does NOT cool, yet you reported 33 F while driving to the shop. If it were me, I would revisit the circumstances where [apparently] the fridge cooled OK and verify that whether that drive-time reading was a fluke or maybe a faulty measurement. Always measure the temperature as kdbgoat described, using a thermometer in water and allow time to stabilize.
Someone told me it might of shaken up the gas and gave me that number, so I'm going to try the direct wire and if this dont work, looks like a new refer, if it works then it sounds like a control board issue.. hoping for the best

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2018, 06:56:01 PM »
Bypassing the thermostat doesn't prove anything, since you already know the heater element is receiving voltage (you measured voltage at the element, right?). Bypassing the control board with direct 120v is a way to diagnose the 120v relay on the board or a non-functional thermostat, but since the board is apply voltage to the heater, that is not at issue.

But have at it - it will give you piece of mind.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Coopster8

• ---
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2018, 07:35:04 PM »
Yep, I did measure it, but the video said this is the best way to see if you have a bad cooling unit, or control board.. but your right peace of mind too..

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2018, 07:51:59 PM »
If you end up needing a new cooling unit I have yet to hear anything but praise for the “Amish” units. Pictures I’ve seen show increased coils and fins vs. OEM. I think the price is similar. And aside from wrestling the unit out on to the floor, supposedly not too complicated of a job.
Scott
Fulltiming in a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 970W Solar, Tri-Metric Battery monitor
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab toad
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster toad braking system

Coopster8

• ---
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2018, 05:40:14 PM »
"If the freezer is cold but barely freezing and the inside of the refrigerator is cool, but not cool enough, you may still have a failing cooling unit due to internal restrictions in one or more of the cooling lines. This can happen if the refer was run off-level and got too hot, causing some of the internal chemicals to turn to solids."
Ok.. after running it for 24 hrs direct a.c., still no difference, then i added a "hurricane fan" to it and still no change😠😠😠 have to say cooling unit is a goner😤😠😠😠 so now debating, should I buy a new house refrigerator, new cooling unit , or just a new refrigerator?? I think that we have done everything possible to say the cooling unit is dead. So I'm leaning towards getting a new cooling unit, since I'm like 99.9999% sure evrything else is good.. what's you guys option?? I do want to thank everyone that has tried to help me in this.. grrr 1300.00 😠

Coopster8

• ---
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2018, 07:50:25 PM »
Update.. purchased a new cooling unit, installed today, fingers crossed.. it can't be anything else.. well see in morning

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2018, 08:25:51 PM »
it can't be anything else..
Better not be!  ;)
Which unit did you buy?
Scott

Coopster8

• ---
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2018, 04:45:18 AM »
Woo hoo its works😁😁😁 i bought the Amish one.. very helpful, great install instructions, I would recommend it to anyone.. communication before was great, shipment was fast.. only bad thing about them was they didn't install for me 😂

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2018, 07:09:39 AM »
only bad thing about them was they didn't install for me

How long did it take?
Scott

regval

• ---
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2018, 09:19:01 PM »
Woo hoo its works😁😁😁 i bought the Amish one.. very helpful, great install instructions, I would recommend it to anyone.. communication before was great, shipment was fast.. only bad thing about them was they didn't install for me 😂

Great news. Experience is the best teacher I've found. You can put that knowledge in your pocket and maybe help someone else in the future.
2005 Forest River TT 27BHSS and 2009 Heartland Sundance 2998RB 5vr
2007 Chev Silverado 2500HD WT crew cab, LB, 6.6L, Allison 6sp, B&W Companion Hitch
Retired Biomedical Engineer

"Some come to the fountain of knowledge to drink, others just gargle."

Coopster8

• ---
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2018, 02:53:45 PM »
Great news. Experience is the best teacher I've found. You can put that knowledge in your pocket and maybe help someone else in the future.
So true.. helping others is the key to happy future