Food in pop up camper? Safe or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Micheline

First time in a pop up camper and I'm wondering if it's safe to have some food items inside the cupboards (peanut butter, hot chocolate mix, snacks...). We are planning on staying in campsites...not off in bear country.
Thnks!

Raccoons are also thieves and will move right in if they have a chance!  Tent campers next door to me in Florida had one unlatch their cooler and help him or herself to a package of frozen hamburger. Next time they will have to lock their cooler. 

In any case, it would not hurt to put things in plastic bags inside containers with lids.

It's a shame coolers don't come with their own latch. I've seen many folks add hasps and locks to their coolers to keep the raccoons at bay.

My neighbors were gone surfing when raccoons raided $100 worth of fresh shrimp from their cooler.  :eek:

Master lock makes an adjustable cable for locking between the handles on a cooler. 

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-Adjustable-Lockout-Diameter/dp/B0045Y0ONU

Here in bear country we call tent trailers "snack packs".  Outside of bears - I think you're ok.

Never had a problem.. Michigan UP, Michigan LP. Ohio and points east all the way to Niagra Falls and Cape Cod ,

Now I did, after the first trip lock the cooler and any thing major outside in the car at night.. but that is because the "Bears" that took my first cooler full of food were of the Human variety. or sub human in this case..

we never had a problem, state parks in florida and GA mostly. 

I think there are a few places with specific rules on this...bear country, such as Yellowstone maybe....

I too have experienced critters getting into stuff out on the picnic table, coolers and such outside
and in theory a rat or mouse might chew through the tenting to get at food if they smell it...I suspect that applies much more to tents on the ground

we never had an issue in our old popup

I think there are a few places with specific rules on this...bear country, such as Yellowstone maybe....

Not just special places such as Yellowstone. Most anywhere in the Rockies (including much of Colorado) is bear country -- bears sometimes get into town even in the Denver Metro area, getting into people's houses, even. I rather suspect that it's also true in some heavily forested areas even further east, and likely in much of California mountains and the Cascades.

And where it's not bears, it's skunks, raccoons, etc. So I'd keep food in relatively secure areas, keeping in mind that bears have been known to break into cars, even. So a popup isn't much better than a tent, in that respect.

Back in our PUP days, we have had racoons awaken us when they tried to open the gas BBQ, and on a few occasions we were awakened by black bears trying to open dumpsters in White Mountains National Park.  So, we always kept any open food in the trunk of the car, and never had a problem

Ed

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom