rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Gas mileage and cost of fill up.  (Read 2630 times)

Dcm1379

• ---
Gas mileage and cost of fill up.
« on: April 27, 2018, 12:24:16 PM »
Just a quick question wondering what kind of gas mileage and what type of rig you have?
As well how many miles/km you would get on the fill up.
Was looking at a small class c for the wife and I to see the country in and was just wondering what kind of expense one could expect.

Thanks
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 litre Hemi
2018 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 26BHS
Hope to enjoy both for many years to come.
Love nature and it will love you back.

Back2PA

• Global Moderator
  • ---
Re: Gas mileage and cost of fill up.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 12:30:34 PM »
Just a quick question wondering what kind of gas mileage and what type of rig you have?
Was looking at a small class c for the wife and I to see the country in and was just wondering what kind of expense one could expect.

Thanks

Assuming you're talking about a gas powered rig you'll be in the 8-10 MPG range. Gas tanks range from around 25 to around 40 gallons on small Cs I believe. So if you fill a 3/4 empty 40 gallon tank at today's prices you're in the $90 range, which will take you about 300 miles.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 12:32:05 PM by Sun2Retire »
Scott
2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
2011 F-250 Super Duty 6.2 Gas, LB 10K gross
Eezrv TPMS
Fulltimer

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 03:02:31 PM »
31' class C here. 55 gallon tank, 8 mpg.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2012 Redwood 36RL
2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 03:41:01 PM »
Your signature line shows a RAM 1500 5.7L and a 26 foot (nominal) trailer.   I'm guessing you will be lucky to see 10 mpg and maybe as low as 7-8 if any headwinds, hilly terrain, etc., but I haven't seen any towing mpg figures on a late model 5.7L to validate that. Hopefully somebody here has one like yours and can comment.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 04:37:35 PM »
Your signature line shows a RAM 1500 5.7L and a 26 foot (nominal) trailer.   I'm guessing you will be lucky to see 10 mpg and maybe as low as 7-8 if any headwinds, hilly terrain, etc., but I haven't seen any towing mpg figures on a late model 5.7L to validate that. Hopefully somebody here has one like yours and can comment.
Gary, he says he's looking for a small class C.
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

dcbinvt

• ---
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 05:04:02 PM »
Go Class B. I have a 34 Gal. tank & get a smidge over 16 MPG.

dcb

KandT

• ---
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 07:50:49 PM »
when I had a 31 foot class C I was lucky to see 7.  But the poor thing was near full capacity before we put a piece of straw in it.  We towed an accord with it most of the time.  Just make sure you have enough cargo carrying capacity to pack appropriately and still be safe. 

It will bite you somewhere if you overload it.  Maybe not right away but you will have a mechanical running around overloaded.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 07:53:52 PM by KandT »
2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
American Car Dolly
2009 Accord Toad
It's not a problem.  It's a project!

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 09:10:37 PM »
2002 Safari Trek 28 ft class A 17,000 GVWR with 8.1L Chevy Vortec gas engine with no toad I average just under 9 mpg on long highway trips cruising at around 65-68 mph, I would do better driving slower, but most of my trips are through Texas (and other western states) where even 2 lane highways have a 75 mph speed limit.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

Eecco2

• ---
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 11:07:36 PM »
I just bought a class B Mercedes Roadtrek adventurous.  It has a Diesel engine and a 30 gallon fuel tank, I think.  Anyway, last week I drove it from Florida to Connecticut (1600 miles) and I averaged approximately 17-19 miles per gallon. Depending on where you are, diesel can cost from 2.75 - 3.50 per gallon. Overall, I was quite pleased with the performance especially when I compared it to my SUV gas mileage which is about 20 miles to the gallon. Hope this helps. Enjoy your road tripping!

DearMissMermaid

• ---
  • Read my mis-adventures at DearMissMermaid.Com
    • DearMissMermaid.Com
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 05:53:22 AM »
I kept gas records for 8 years on my 28 foot Class C. The tank was 55 gallons.
My generator draws out of the same tank so that throws off your MPG.

My annual average was always hovering around 8 mpg with 55 gallon tank and I was fully loaded.
First off I never let my gas get below a half tank except in emergencies (running from hurricane!)

I wanted that half tank cushion for emergency generator use. When I had a breakdown in 99F weather on side of hot steamy interstate, I so needed that generator to stay alive and cool until help arrived which took several hours in spite of me being on the outskirts of a major city. I was towed to a closed repair facility. The humidity was out of sight, there was no electric hookup since they parked me outside of the locked gates. I ran the generator another 12 hours just to stay cool until they opened up to make repairs to my rig.

So you're probably going to be looking at buying half tanks of gas at a time, if you want the security of being comfortable if things go wrong. I always topped up my gas before setting up camp, that way if anything went wrong, flood or hurricane... I had a full tank of gas to hit the road.

Most of the time I traveled with a full tank of water too. I was fulltiming 24/7. While I did not tow a car, I had a bicycle and a cargo carrier hanging off my hitch.

I ran my generator 1-2 hours, at least once a month to keep it happy. Other times, especially in summer, I used it more because I traveled with a dog. When I was stopping to shop, I had to run the generator to keep him alive. Mostly I could drive with just the dash air running. This will work fine in a Class C but not a Class A.

However, there were times when I traveled on hot steamy days when I did run the generator and AC because I wanted the rig pre-cooled when I arrived at camp.

My driving style is rather sedate, I was slow to accelerate and often coasted to my stops. I didn't really push it hard and often chose by ways and scenic routes where I could putter around at 45-55mph rather than breakneck speed of 80 on interstates. Even on the interstate, I preferred 55-65.

Sure there were times when my average MPG would zip up to 10mpg, mostly in the winter cooler months and flat lands of Florida, but then the summer and extra generator use would bring it back down again.

When planning my trips, I always figured gas costs at 6pmg and added another 50% to the cost for detours and whimsical sightseeing. This way I had leftover gas money after every trip.  8)

I hope this helps!
http://DearMissMermaid.Com

Living, working. playing  in a 1992 Holiday Rambler Imperial 36' 5th Estate, formerly 8 years 24/7 in a Class C, 1994 Tioga Montara, 28'

Pack half the stuff and twice the cash.
http://dearmissmermaid.blogspot.com/

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 05:24:03 PM »
Our coach has a 150 gallon tank, and over the past four years, we've averaged 7.2 mpg while towing our Jeep. That usually sounds pretty bad to people who are new to RVing, but when you consider that the RV weighs in at about 40,000 lbs and has everything we need to be comfortable - just as when we're at home - that's not bad at all. It's even more impressive when you consider that our Jeep gets to where we're going without using a drop of fuel.

Kev
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 01:04:11 AM by Kevin Means »
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 960 watts of solar
(Can't wait to spend more time RVing)
Lakeside, California

Robert K

• ---
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 05:33:14 PM »
Wow wish mine got 72mpg ;D
Bob&Sandy
96 Safari Serengeti
2011 jeep wrangler
Western New York

Dcm1379

• ---
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2018, 06:58:46 PM »
Well Gary you are right I tow my trailer and I avg 8 mph and I thought it was on the thirsty side and was curious to know if a motorhome was better on gas, apparently not especially considering one would almost need to tow a vehicle.
If I was to ever switch I would consider a very small class c or a class b or a smaller TT.
Thanks for the info
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 litre Hemi
2018 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 26BHS
Hope to enjoy both for many years to come.
Love nature and it will love you back.

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 01:05:21 AM »
Wow wish mine got 72mpg ;D
Fixed it. Thanks. (Darn decimal points)
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 960 watts of solar
(Can't wait to spend more time RVing)
Lakeside, California

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 08:38:47 AM »
Fixed it. Thanks. (Darn decimal points)
Missing periods have always been troublesome. :)
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

ZinLuvR

• ---
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2018, 11:03:04 AM »
Off topic since the topic is a class C.  We are not towing but get 7mpg with a 45 ft. class A diesel at 70 to 75 mph on the interstate.  This was about 2500 miles from Texas through Colorado into Washington.  For us being able to travel in an apartment on wheels and get 7 mpg is great.  Next trip will be 2500 miles with toad, part in Calif with a 55mph limit when towing, so we'll see how the mpg goes.  But anywhere near 7 mpg will be great.  150 gallon tank which we keep at least half full for the generator since the fuel pickup tube does not go below 1/4 tank.  So a couple hundred bucks for 1/2 tank of diesel.
2009 Monaco Dynasty Regal IV
45ft., tag axle, ISM500
2016 Explorer toad

Utclmjmpr

• ---
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2018, 12:24:27 PM »
 Issac-1  It really maters not what state your driving in,,a speed limit is optional, not a requirement.>>>D
Vary rare American Tradition 38TT/330 turbo Cummins
Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
The difference between intelligence & stupidity is: intelligence has it's limits
      Albert Einstein.

SpencerPJ

• ---
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2018, 01:32:32 PM »
Issac-1  It really maters not what state your driving in,,a speed limit is optional, not a requirement.>>>D

Tell that to the Officer,  :P   
But I will say, slow down and save.  If MPG is your concern, slow down. 

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2018, 09:16:19 PM »
Well Gary you are right I tow my trailer and I avg 8 mph and I thought it was on the thirsty side and was curious to know if a motorhome was better on gas, apparently not especially considering one would almost need to tow a vehicle.

Right, a motorhome is still a big box that has to be pulled around by a big gas engine (or pushed around by a big diesel engine). Not too different from your pickup towing the trailer. You can expect similar mileage... 8mpg is pretty standard, and might even be considered on the high end! The good thing about RVing is that (usually) the long drives are not too frequent, so the fuel costs are manageable as a part of your overall travel budget.
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

Oscar Mike

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2018, 09:50:25 PM »
The good thing about RVing is that (usually) the long drives are not too frequent, so the fuel costs are manageable as a part of your overall travel budget.

It's not uncommon for me to have a 400 mile day out here in the Western part of the country to get to my first night's stop.

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2018, 11:32:05 AM »
If I was to ever switch I would consider a very small class c or a class b or a smaller TT.
Thanks for the info
I just have to ask Why? Why do you want to go on the trip of a lifetime in a very small class c or a class b or a smaller TT??? For the same money as what you have invested you could be in comfortable coach with all the amenities of home. Something that is quieter, rides better, has bigger tanks and more storage. Look at this coach as an example.
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/diesel-motorhomes/2004-holiday-rambler-scepter_rv-37501
Look around on the website there are several in this range.
Just because you buy a small "C" or "B" doesn't mean the milage will  be that good. If you get between 6 and 9 you will be in the range of most RV's. Your mileage can vary more than that just based on driving conditions.
You will need a toad to maximise your experience. My RV gets 9 mpg so you park the RV and go exploring in the toad. My toad gets 30 mpg which one do you want to drive when out exploring?
Bill   
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 07:26:52 PM by WILDEBILL308 »
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

John Stephens

• ---
  • Vacations begin when you leave the driveway
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2018, 11:41:38 AM »
I don't know if this will help you since you seem interested in a Class C. My Class A 39' gasser gets about 7.5-8.0/mpg on flat ground by itself. Put my toad behind it and consider that not every road if flat, and my mileage goes to 6.5-7.0 on the highway and 5.5-6.0 in city traffic. I have a 75 gallon tank but can only run it down to ¼ full if I don't want to lose my generator, so I plan on getting it filled every 45-50 gallons, meaning I get an average of about 300 miles per fill up. This works out just fine for me since I usually don't travel more than 300-350 miles per day when getting to a destination and can plan on filling my tank when I stop for the night.

Previous posters are correct by telling you that using a toad rather than driving a small Class C everywhere you go is going to be more efficient. For one thing, you won't have to worry about maneuvering your RV through city traffic and parking lots when trying to do simple things like shopping for groceries. You'll also not have to worry about size restrictions when traveling through state and national parks. Using your toad is simply more convenient, not to mention the better gas mileage.
John
Cape Coral, Fl.
2005 Winnebago Adventurer 38J
2018 Chevy Equinox

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2018, 04:53:15 PM »
Quote: For the same money as what you have invested you could be in comfortable couch with all the amenities of home.

Wow that would be better than my La-Z-Boy but where do you put the gas in a couch. I did see a video online once of a motorized chair.
Apex, NC
2010 Winnebago journey Express 34Y
2018 Ford Edge SEL

Eecco2

• ---
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2018, 02:25:45 AM »
I just have to ask Why? Why do you want to go on the trip of a lifetime in a very small class c or a class b or a smaller TT??? For the same money as what you have invested you could be in comfortable coach with all the amenities of home. Something that is quieter, rides better, has bigger tanks and more storage. Look at this coach as an example.
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/diesel-motorhomes/2004-holiday-rambler-scepter_rv-37501
Look around on the website there are several in this range.
Just because you buy a small "C" or "B" doesn't mean the milage will  be that good. If you get between 6 and 9 you will be in the range of most RV's. Your mileage can vary more than that just based on driving conditions.
You will need a toad to maximise your experience. My RV gets 9 mpg so you park the RV and go exploring in the toad. My toad gets 30 mpg which one do you want to drive when out exploring?
Bill   
I would like to offer an answer as to “why”...for me, traveling with just my dog, and traveling only when I feel like it, I decided that the small class b (mine is 22.9’) was a good fit. It has everything I need and want, but is easy to drive, park and “live” in. I admit that it was not inexpensive by any means since I bought a Mercedes Roadtrek but my investment so far has made for easy traveling with all the benefits of RV life. That’s what works for me right now, but maybe if I am spending more time traveling than I currently do, I will go bigger. 👍😃

butchiiii

• ---
  • A day RVing is better than a Great day at work!
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2018, 01:01:07 PM »
Thanks for the info

Dcm, my currrent setup is similiar to your and we get anywhere from 12-15mpg when towing. Your TT specs look a little bit heavier than
ours. We are usually around 6200lbs loaded and in CA I never drive over 57 there are too many "eager" CHP officers that would like to
show you the error of your ways  :) :) :)
Butch & Joanna
Ram 2015 Reg Cab 1500
2015 Keystone Passport 2890RL

udidwht

• ---
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2018, 04:35:41 AM »
Class A Fleetwood Southwind Storm 28ft
454 TBI w/4L80E
60 gallon fuel tank

8mpg hills

10.XXmpg on the flats at 58-60mph

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pc1wtu2058d5xi0/20180530_132027%5B1%5D.jpg?dl=0
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm 28ft
GM P30 454 TBI w/4L80E trans
56.984 miles & counting....

Professionals built the Titanic...Amateurs built the Ark.

ACVW Type-4 Massive power

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2018, 05:27:09 AM »

True, but one needs to also weigh the speed and number of those 18 wheelers that are blowing by with their bow pressure waves against driving slower to get better fuel economy.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

decaturbob

• ---
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2018, 09:52:27 AM »

Thanks

I have a 32ft class with ford V10. I get 8mpg but use 7 mpg as a budgetary guide for gas as wind and grade will effect mileage.   I have a 50 (perhaps 55 gal tank) and always fuel up at 1/2 tank...so we do 150-200 miles between gas stops.  I plan my trips around RV friendly gas stations/truckstops, especially now with the Ford Escape towable we have which puts some limits on access into gas stations.
proud to have a 2008 Tioga 31M MH

BoomerD

• ---
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2018, 01:15:55 AM »
We have a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 30', Workhorse chassis 8.1L (496 c.i.) In the 3+ years we've owned it, we've gotten a bit over 8 mpg ONE time...the rest of the 10,000+ miles have been around 7.5 when we weren't towing a car, or 6.5 or so when towing. ALL of our towing is in the western states, and I (almost) never drive faster than 60 mph.
Current coach: 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 30B, P32 chassis, Workhorse.

darsben

• ---
  • Retired seeing the USA
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2018, 01:45:55 PM »
Small class "A" overall MPG  7.5 sometimes more sometimes less.
1990 Fleetwood Southwind on P30 chassis located in
Central NY in summer and beautiful Casa Grande AZ in winter