Gas mileage and cost of fill up.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dcm1379

Just a quick question wondering what kind of gas mileage and what type of rig you have?
As well how many miles/km you would get on the fill up.
Was looking at a small class c for the wife and I to see the country in and was just wondering what kind of expense one could expect.

Thanks

Dcm1379 said:
Just a quick question wondering what kind of gas mileage and what type of rig you have?
As well how many miles/km you would get on the fill up.
Was looking at a small class c for the wife and I to see the country in and was just wondering what kind of expense one could expect.

Thanks

Assuming you're talking about a gas powered rig you'll be in the 8-10 MPG range. Gas tanks range from around 25 to around 40 gallons on small Cs I believe. So if you fill a 3/4 empty 40 gallon tank at today's prices you're in the $90 range, which will take you about 300 miles.

Your signature line shows a RAM 1500 5.7L and a 26 foot (nominal) trailer.  I'm guessing you will be lucky to see 10 mpg and maybe as low as 7-8 if any headwinds, hilly terrain, etc., but I haven't seen any towing mpg figures on a late model 5.7L to validate that. Hopefully somebody here has one like yours and can comment.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Your signature line shows a RAM 1500 5.7L and a 26 foot (nominal) trailer.  I'm guessing you will be lucky to see 10 mpg and maybe as low as 7-8 if any headwinds, hilly terrain, etc., but I haven't seen any towing mpg figures on a late model 5.7L to validate that. Hopefully somebody here has one like yours and can comment.
Gary, he says he's looking for a small class C.

when I had a 31 foot class C I was lucky to see 7.  But the poor thing was near full capacity before we put a piece of straw in it.  We towed an accord with it most of the time.  Just make sure you have enough cargo carrying capacity to pack appropriately and still be safe. 

It will bite you somewhere if you overload it.  Maybe not right away but you will have a mechanical running around overloaded.

2002 Safari Trek 28 ft class A 17,000 GVWR with 8.1L Chevy Vortec gas engine with no toad I average just under 9 mpg on long highway trips cruising at around 65-68 mph, I would do better driving slower, but most of my trips are through Texas (and other western states) where even 2 lane highways have a 75 mph speed limit.

I just bought a class B Mercedes Roadtrek adventurous.  It has a Diesel engine and a 30 gallon fuel tank, I think.  Anyway, last week I drove it from Florida to Connecticut (1600 miles) and I averaged approximately 17-19 miles per gallon. Depending on where you are, diesel can cost from 2.75 - 3.50 per gallon. Overall, I was quite pleased with the performance especially when I compared it to my SUV gas mileage which is about 20 miles to the gallon. Hope this helps. Enjoy your road tripping!

I kept gas records for 8 years on my 28 foot Class C. The tank was 55 gallons.
My generator draws out of the same tank so that throws off your MPG.

My annual average was always hovering around 8 mpg with 55 gallon tank and I was fully loaded.
First off I never let my gas get below a half tank except in emergencies (running from hurricane!)

I wanted that half tank cushion for emergency generator use. When I had a breakdown in 99F weather on side of hot steamy interstate, I so needed that generator to stay alive and cool until help arrived which took several hours in spite of me being on the outskirts of a major city. I was towed to a closed repair facility. The humidity was out of sight, there was no electric hookup since they parked me outside of the locked gates. I ran the generator another 12 hours just to stay cool until they opened up to make repairs to my rig.

So you're probably going to be looking at buying half tanks of gas at a time, if you want the security of being comfortable if things go wrong. I always topped up my gas before setting up camp, that way if anything went wrong, flood or hurricane... I had a full tank of gas to hit the road.

Most of the time I traveled with a full tank of water too. I was fulltiming 24/7. While I did not tow a car, I had a bicycle and a cargo carrier hanging off my hitch.

I ran my generator 1-2 hours, at least once a month to keep it happy. Other times, especially in summer, I used it more because I traveled with a dog. When I was stopping to shop, I had to run the generator to keep him alive. Mostly I could drive with just the dash air running. This will work fine in a Class C but not a Class A.

However, there were times when I traveled on hot steamy days when I did run the generator and AC because I wanted the rig pre-cooled when I arrived at camp.

My driving style is rather sedate, I was slow to accelerate and often coasted to my stops. I didn't really push it hard and often chose by ways and scenic routes where I could putter around at 45-55mph rather than breakneck speed of 80 on interstates. Even on the interstate, I preferred 55-65.

Sure there were times when my average MPG would zip up to 10mpg, mostly in the winter cooler months and flat lands of Florida, but then the summer and extra generator use would bring it back down again.

When planning my trips, I always figured gas costs at 6pmg and added another 50% to the cost for detours and whimsical sightseeing. This way I had leftover gas money after every trip.  8)

I hope this helps!

Our coach has a 150 gallon tank, and over the past four years, we've averaged 7.2 mpg while towing our Jeep. That usually sounds pretty bad to people who are new to RVing, but when you consider that the RV weighs in at about 40,000 lbs and has everything we need to be comfortable - just as when we're at home - that's not bad at all. It's even more impressive when you consider that our Jeep gets to where we're going without using a drop of fuel.

Kev

Well Gary you are right I tow my trailer and I avg 8 mph and I thought it was on the thirsty side and was curious to know if a motorhome was better on gas, apparently not especially considering one would almost need to tow a vehicle.
If I was to ever switch I would consider a very small class c or a class b or a smaller TT.
Thanks for the info

Off topic since the topic is a class C.  We are not towing but get 7mpg with a 45 ft. class A diesel at 70 to 75 mph on the interstate.  This was about 2500 miles from Texas through Colorado into Washington.  For us being able to travel in an apartment on wheels and get 7 mpg is great.  Next trip will be 2500 miles with toad, part in Calif with a 55mph limit when towing, so we'll see how the mpg goes.  But anywhere near 7 mpg will be great.  150 gallon tank which we keep at least half full for the generator since the fuel pickup tube does not go below 1/4 tank.  So a couple hundred bucks for 1/2 tank of diesel.

Utclmjmpr said:
Issac-1  It really maters not what state your driving in,,a speed limit is optional, not a requirement.>>>D

Tell that to the Officer,  :p 
But I will say, slow down and save.  If MPG is your concern, slow down. 

Dcm1379 said:
Well Gary you are right I tow my trailer and I avg 8 mph and I thought it was on the thirsty side and was curious to know if a motorhome was better on gas, apparently not especially considering one would almost need to tow a vehicle.

Right, a motorhome is still a big box that has to be pulled around by a big gas engine (or pushed around by a big diesel engine). Not too different from your pickup towing the trailer. You can expect similar mileage... 8mpg is pretty standard, and might even be considered on the high end! The good thing about RVing is that (usually) the long drives are not too frequent, so the fuel costs are manageable as a part of your overall travel budget.

scottydl said:
The good thing about RVing is that (usually) the long drives are not too frequent, so the fuel costs are manageable as a part of your overall travel budget.

It's not uncommon for me to have a 400 mile day out here in the Western part of the country to get to my first night's stop.

Back
Top Bottom