Gas mileage and cost of fill up.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dcm1379 said:
Well Gary you are right I tow my trailer and I avg 8 mph and I thought it was on the thirsty side and was curious to know if a motorhome was better on gas, apparently not especially considering one would almost need to tow a vehicle.
If I was to ever switch I would consider a very small class c or a class b or a smaller TT.
Thanks for the info
I just have to ask Why? Why do you want to go on the trip of a lifetime in a very small class c or a class b or a smaller TT??? For the same money as what you have invested you could be in comfortable coach with all the amenities of home. Something that is quieter, rides better, has bigger tanks and more storage. Look at this coach as an example.
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/diesel-motorhomes/2004-holiday-rambler-scepter_rv-37501
Look around on the website there are several in this range.
Just because you buy a small "C" or "B" doesn't mean the milage will  be that good. If you get between 6 and 9 you will be in the range of most RV's. Your mileage can vary more than that just based on driving conditions.
You will need a toad to maximise your experience. My RV gets 9 mpg so you park the RV and go exploring in the toad. My toad gets 30 mpg which one do you want to drive when out exploring?
Bill   

I don't know if this will help you since you seem interested in a Class C. My Class A 39' gasser gets about 7.5-8.0/mpg on flat ground by itself. Put my toad behind it and consider that not every road if flat, and my mileage goes to 6.5-7.0 on the highway and 5.5-6.0 in city traffic. I have a 75 gallon tank but can only run it down to ? full if I don't want to lose my generator, so I plan on getting it filled every 45-50 gallons, meaning I get an average of about 300 miles per fill up. This works out just fine for me since I usually don't travel more than 300-350 miles per day when getting to a destination and can plan on filling my tank when I stop for the night.

Previous posters are correct by telling you that using a toad rather than driving a small Class C everywhere you go is going to be more efficient. For one thing, you won't have to worry about maneuvering your RV through city traffic and parking lots when trying to do simple things like shopping for groceries. You'll also not have to worry about size restrictions when traveling through state and national parks. Using your toad is simply more convenient, not to mention the better gas mileage.

Quote: For the same money as what you have invested you could be in comfortable couch with all the amenities of home.

Wow that would be better than my La-Z-Boy but where do you put the gas in a couch. I did see a video online once of a motorized chair.

WILDEBILL308 said:
I just have to ask Why? Why do you want to go on the trip of a lifetime in a very small class c or a class b or a smaller TT??? For the same money as what you have invested you could be in comfortable coach with all the amenities of home. Something that is quieter, rides better, has bigger tanks and more storage. Look at this coach as an example.
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/diesel-motorhomes/2004-holiday-rambler-scepter_rv-37501
Look around on the website there are several in this range.
Just because you buy a small "C" or "B" doesn't mean the milage will  be that good. If you get between 6 and 9 you will be in the range of most RV's. Your mileage can vary more than that just based on driving conditions.
You will need a toad to maximise your experience. My RV gets 9 mpg so you park the RV and go exploring in the toad. My toad gets 30 mpg which one do you want to drive when out exploring?
Bill 
I would like to offer an answer as to ?why?...for me, traveling with just my dog, and traveling only when I feel like it, I decided that the small class b (mine is 22.9?) was a good fit. It has everything I need and want, but is easy to drive, park and ?live? in. I admit that it was not inexpensive by any means since I bought a Mercedes Roadtrek but my investment so far has made for easy traveling with all the benefits of RV life. That?s what works for me right now, but maybe if I am spending more time traveling than I currently do, I will go bigger. ??

Dcm1379 said:
Well Gary you are right I tow my trailer and I avg 8 mph and I thought it was on the thirsty side and was curious to know if a motorhome was better on gas, apparently not especially considering one would almost need to tow a vehicle.
If I was to ever switch I would consider a very small class c or a class b or a smaller TT.
Thanks for the info

Dcm, my currrent setup is similiar to your and we get anywhere from 12-15mpg when towing. Your TT specs look a little bit heavier than
ours. We are usually around 6200lbs loaded and in CA I never drive over 57 there are too many "eager" CHP officers that would like to
show you the error of your ways  :) :) :)

Utclmjmpr said:
Issac-1  It really maters not what state your driving in,,a speed limit is optional, not a requirement.>>>D

True, but one needs to also weigh the speed and number of those 18 wheelers that are blowing by with their bow pressure waves against driving slower to get better fuel economy.

Dcm1379 said:
Just a quick question wondering what kind of gas mileage and what type of rig you have?
As well how many miles/km you would get on the fill up.
Was looking at a small class c for the wife and I to see the country in and was just wondering what kind of expense one could expect.

Thanks

I have a 32ft class with ford V10. I get 8mpg but use 7 mpg as a budgetary guide for gas as wind and grade will effect mileage.  I have a 50 (perhaps 55 gal tank) and always fuel up at 1/2 tank...so we do 150-200 miles between gas stops.  I plan my trips around RV friendly gas stations/truckstops, especially now with the Ford Escape towable we have which puts some limits on access into gas stations.

We have a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 30', Workhorse chassis 8.1L (496 c.i.) In the 3+ years we've owned it, we've gotten a bit over 8 mpg ONE time...the rest of the 10,000+ miles have been around 7.5 when we weren't towing a car, or 6.5 or so when towing. ALL of our towing is in the western states, and I (almost) never drive faster than 60 mph.

Kevin Means said:
Our coach has a 150 gallon tank, and over the past four years, we've averaged 7.2 mpg while towing our Jeep. That usually sounds pretty bad to people who are new to RVing, but when you consider that the RV weighs in at about 40,000 lbs and has everything we need to be comfortable - just as when we're at home - that's not bad at all. It's even more impressive when you consider that our Jeep gets to where we're going without using a drop of fuel.

Kev
7.2 is great for something that weight. My old gasser isn't that well behaved on fuel, 6-7 mpg at 15K lbs

When we do trips of one or two months our average daily cost is $100. That includes everything from fuel, RV park fees, food, shopping, tours and whatever else we buy. We don't skimp as we're only going through life once.

Everything is put on a credit card and at the end of the trip we pay it off and average our daily cost.  So for planning purposes $100 is what we use.

I get 7 mpg on our class A pulling a toad.

I got a 2011 coachman freelander 23 ft long I got 10 mile a gallon
Going to myrtle beach from West Virginia , and 8 to 9 miles
A gallon comeing back home gas was 2.58 to 2.70 a gallon
900 miles total spent 220.oo in gas round trip.  ( I didn?t fill up on return
To home that cost about 70.oo dollars later) left with a full tank Rv holds 55 gallon
It has a ford v 10/ I?ve had pull campers and absolutely love having a rv
Will be setting up my Jeep Patriot to bed flat towed. ( rental car for three days was expensive)

Back
Top Bottom