Feasibility of 110 VAC solar for off-grid camping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frank B

I have seen discussions here and elsewhere of using 48 volt house batteries because it requires lighter gauge wiring for higher power densities. The problem, is that pretty well all RVs are 12-volt systems. Some coaches now have residential fridges, which requires 110 volts to run the compressor. Pretty well all RVs have 110 volt wiring for General utility.

So, what about just using the converter to run the 12 volt items like lights and propane appliances, and then power the rest of the trailer at 110v through a large inverter? That way, you could use whatever house battery system you wanted. 24v, 36v, 48v, 96v, or whatever.  It would effectively be as if you had Shore power on the road.

Has anyone ever tried something like this?

Not sure what you are suggesting that is different except the battery voltage.  Larger RVs and nearly all late model Class A coaches have good sized inverters that could run "the rest of the trailer".  However, you still need a hefty battery bank to provide the power desired (watts). The amperage is lower when the volts are higher, but watts are watts.  A battery bank that can produce 1000 watt-hours is still big and heavy if it is lead-acid. LI is much lighter, of course, but also pricey.

The continued use of so much 12v is for reasons of cost, the same reason that cars still have mostly 12v subsystems, even in electric vehicles. Automotive engineers have wanted to change car systems to 36 or 48v for decades, but have never been able to overcome the short term cost penalty for re-engineering so many components and the dual systems needed in the transition phases. Even the standardizing might of the SAE has failed to overcome this basic cost issue.  All-electric vehicles have made some progress, converting some subsystems to utilize their higher voltage power packs, but much of the routine stuff remains 12v, e.g. entertainment, lighting, etc.

So the bottom line is that what you suggest is technically feasible but commercially at a major cost disadvantage at this time. And frankly there is only modest advantage to running a partial 48v system - the inverter is only modestly more efficient and only small segments of wiring get reduced in size.

Gary:

Not sure what you are suggesting that is different except the battery voltage. 
Essentially, yes. DC wiring can be lighter gauge at higher voltage. Also, one would not have to run parallel strings of batteries which can have equalization issues.

Now, whether this would be worth it or not is my question.

Frank.

Frank B said:
I have seen discussions here and elsewhere of using 48 volt house batteries because it requires lighter gauge wiring for higher power densities. The problem, is that pretty well all RVs are 12-volt systems. Some coaches now have residential fridges, which requires 110 volts to run the compressor. Pretty well all RVs have 110 volt wiring for General utility.

So, what about just using the converter to run the 12 volt items like lights and propane appliances, and then power the rest of the trailer at 110v through a large inverter? That way, you could use whatever house battery system you wanted. 24v, 36v, 48v, 96v, or whatever.  It would effectively be as if you had Shore power on the road.

Has anyone ever tried something like this?

there are many pros and cons to your suggestion, here are some of my thoughts on this.

Efficiency: converting battery voltage to 120 Volts with even a good inverter is at best 90% then
add the losses from an 85% buck converter to 12 Volts and you have considerable losses.

say you had to supply 20 amps at 12 Volts for your system, you have 240 watts to supply and
say your converter is 85% efficient, you need 100/85*240 = 282 watts input
and this is supplied by a 90% at best inverter so your total is now = 100/90*282 = 313 Watts.
so quite a loss. However, this could be made up with more panel watts and battery capacity to compensate.

Batteries: inverting to 120 or higher is more efficient with higher voltages, so you now have the freedom to
choose a better suited DC voltage and capacity for your battery such as 48 Volts

cost: higher voltage inverters do cost more due to less demand, the 12 Volt market dictates more competition.

battery size: an RV is very limited in space and carrying capacity due to it's function.

off grid I could easily specify 24, 2 Volt cells weighing 120 lbs each and it would not be an issue..
try putting those in your RV !!

wire size: this is just ohms law again.. simple example:

say you had to supply 1000 watts of energy to an appliance.
for amps at various voltages we have:

12 V = 1000/12 = 84 A
24 V =  1000/24 = 42 A
48 V = 1000/48 = 21 A

the issue as we know is conductor resistance, fewer amps means less voltage drop and energy wasted.

Solarman:

add the losses from an 85% buck converter to 12 Volts and you have considerable losses.

I am not suggesting the use of a buck converter.  I am saying that the RV already has a shore power converter for supplying 12v and charging the batteries.  I am suggesting that the converter be disconnected from the batteries, and used only to supply 12v.  Most of them today will supply more than the typical 12v needs of the unit, as they already do that AND charge the batteries at the same time.

With what I am suggesting, one does NOT run a dual 12v / 48v system where the 48v has to be converted back to 12 with a buck converter.  One just runs a 12v and a 110v system, which RV's already have anyway.  The 48v would run a decent wattage inverter only.

As to batteries, 4 deep cycle 12v batteries in series could  provide the higher voltage battery bank.  Not saying one should, but 4 x 12v batteries is not excessive weight.

The reason I am posting this is that it  occurred to me that one already has a 12v system in an RV -- but it needs to be fed from 110 AC, and not  from 48vdc.

Now, it will take someone smarter than me to figure out the losses, and the cost.  But, other than a high-wattage 48v input inverter, nothing much else is needed.  When on shore power, one loses the ability to charge the batteries from shore power, but if one has solar, who cares?

Anyway, just a thought.

Frank.

Frank B said:
Solarman:

I am not suggesting the use of a buck converter.
I am suggesting that the converter be disconnected from the batteries, and used only to supply 12v

As to batteries, 4 deep cycle 12v batteries in series could  provide the higher voltage battery bank.  Not saying one should, but 4 x 12v batteries is not excessive weight.

It just occurred to me that one already has a 12v system in an RV -- but it needs to be fed from 110 AC, and not  from 48vdc.

Now, it will take someone smarter than me to figure out the losses, and the cost.

Frank.

the "converter" you talk about that is in virtually every RV as you describe IS a buck converter
it down converts a higher voltage to a lower one.

secondly, I DID give you an example of typical losses, but you either missed it or choose to ignore it ?

thirdly, the cost was mentioned, it is implied in the inverter/battery and panel increase.

fourthly: you will STILL need a means of charging your high voltage battery pack on those occasions when solar fails due to inclement weather.

and lastly, battery size is defined by your expected watt/hour usage over a 24 hour period AND the number
of days spare capacity to cover cloudy days ( know as autonomy )

Solarman:

secondly, I DID give you an example of typical losses, but you either missed it or choose to ignore it ?

Seems I got off on the wrong foot here, so I apologize.  I neither missed nor ignored it.  I thought rather that I had failed to communicate my thoughts accurately to you, and that would of course, skew your answer.  Please excuse any impression of criticism that I may have given.  I am here to learn.

the "converter" you talk about that is in virtually every RV as you describe IS a buck converter it down converts a higher voltage to a lower one.

This may have been my failure. I was under the impression that a buck converter is a DC to DC device that, according to Wikipedia, uses electronics to switch a DC source on and off rapidly into a single-coil choke (or capacitor, or both), effectively dropping the voltage seen by the load and smoothing out the square wave generated by the high speed switching.  Is not a typical RV converter an AC to DC device, using a two-coil step down transformer to reduce the voltage, and then rectifying that?  From my days (now many years ago) in high school electronics, I was under the impression that an AC transformer can be very efficient, perhaps better than a buck converter?  That is why I felt I may have thrown a wrench into your calculations.

thirdly, the cost was mentioned, it is implied in the inverter/battery and panel increase.

Again, my lack of deep knowledge here may have gotten in the way.  In my simple little brain, I didn't see a need to change a panel, but rather to just use what is already there.  I already do that on our unit, simply plugging the trailer into the inverter (after unplugging the converter), and making sure the fridge and hot water tank are on propane-only operation.

As to batteries, I was trying to grasp and apply what you had already told me in another thread regarding the inadvisability of paralleling batteries to gain capacity.  IIUC, 4 x 12v batteries in series is preferable to 4 x 12v in parallel.  Again, I use this only as an example, not suggesting that 4 x 12v is a good choice of RV battery bank.  Just trying to grasp some principles here.

I do see the need for a higher voltage input inverter, and a possible increase in price there.

fourthly: you will STILL need a means of charging your high voltage battery pack on those occasions when solar fails due to inclement weather.

Point conceded.

and lastly, battery size is defined by your expected watt/hour usage over a 24 hour period AND the number of days spare capacity to cover cloudy days

Agreed.  As noted above, I was just trying to come up with a simple example, and was not suggesting a formula that should be followed.

The whole reason I started this thread is because I was reading elsewhere about how people have put in hybrid 12v / 48v systems, and to power the 12v lights and 12v propane appliances, they used small buck converters for each device, or string of devices.  That looked unnecessarily complicated to me.  The wiring in the RV is already there, and sized for the appliances and lights to run at 12v.  Why run that wiring at 48v, only to step it down for each device?

In the final analysis, it may well be that 12v is just plain and simply the best overall solution for an RV.  This thread had more to do with any theoretic advantages. 12v has wiring and resistance limitations as we all know.  I was just exploring a possible alternative that also avoided the multiple small buck converter issues of running trailer wiring at more than 12v.

So, again, my apologies if I gave the impression of ignoring you.  That was NOT the case.  I just thought that I had misinformed you.

Frank.

One drawback to your proposal is that you have no 12v power except when using shore power for the converter.  No lights, no water pump, etc. Maybe not a concern if you always have shore power, but if you always have shore you don't need either inverter or any battery at all.  You could, of course, power the converter from the inverter if needed, but that is horribly inefficient.

A modern converter consists of a rectifier (AC to DC) and a voltage step-down circuit. It's all digital electronics nowadays, no old fashioned buck transformer, but still not 100% efficient.

As a practical matter, the available general purpose 48v battery banks are made using multiple 12v batteries in series, so you could probably tap that for 12v when off-grid.

Gary:

You could, of course, power the converter from the inverter if needed, but that is horribly inefficient.

Yes, that is what I was proposing.

A modern converter consists of a rectifier (AC to DC) and a voltage step-down circuit. It's all digital electronics nowadays, no old fashioned buck transformer, but still not 100% efficient.

So, no AC step down transformers in them anymore?  If so, then I guess that shows how far out of touch I am these days.  ;D

OK, I'll let this one die.  It was just an idea.

Thanks.

Frank.

It wasn't a dumb idea, just one that typically doesn't have a lot of payback for the effort & cost. You gain some on the 48v side, but most of the gain gets lost again on the 12v side. As you convert more of the 12v load to 48v native devices, the benefits increase.  It may be there is sufficient value in some cases but it in the general case the gains and losses tend to wash out. You would have to model the system under your usage conditions to determine how well it would work for you.

I know there are some rigs that have done what you suggest and the owners feel they have benefited. I haven't seen any arithmetic to support that, though. They results claimed tend to focus on how much better the 48v solar is without assessing the rest of the system.

Frank B said:
Gary:

Yes, that is what I was proposing.

So, no AC step down transformers in them anymore?  If so, then I guess that shows how far out of touch I am these days.  ;D

OK, I'll let this one die.  It was just an idea.

Thanks.

Frank.

typically a modern converter will rectify the AC to high voltage DC then use that as the input to a buck converter.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/04/28/powering-an-rv-with-solar-energy-a-tesla-battery-videos/

kbdgoat:

Whew!  Pretty wordy videos, but very clean install as well.  However, waaay too technical and waaaay too much work for me!

In the final analysis, he really doesn't have much more than I currently have with lead-acid, which is still cheaper, and within the weight limits of our RV.  So, I am happy with what I have for the time being.  He did choose residential panels, however, for the same reasons I did.

I did find his need for a separate 12v lead acid battery for emergency trailer brakes interesting.  I hadn't thought of that either when I started this thread.  Doing anything other than 12v in a unit has a whole series of consequences that I had not thought of.  I see now why so many forgo the experience. :)

Amazing how inventive some people can be, however!

Thanks for the link.

Frank.

Interesting videos kdbgoat,
The Tesla battery module looks interesting but there seems like a bunch of other control
systems are needed to get it to work correctly and safely.  Oh well it's all good research.
Have a lot more to do.

Frank B said:
kbdgoat:

Whew!  Pretty wordy videos, but very clean install as well.  However, waaay too technical and waaaay too much work for me!

In the final analysis, he really doesn't have much more than I currently have with lead-acid, which is still cheaper, and within the weight limits of our RV.  So, I am happy with what I have for the time being.  He did choose residential panels, however, for the same reasons I did.

I did find his need for a separate 12v lead acid battery for emergency trailer brakes interesting.  I hadn't thought of that either when I started this thread.  Doing anything other than 12v in a unit has a whole series of consequences that I had not thought of.  I see now why so many forgo the experience. :)

Amazing how inventive some people can be, however!

Frank
I would love to see his entire install package. Hopefully he will do a breakdown of each item that is needed to
use this setup. It might even be possible to use 2 of the Tesla batteries to get to 10kw of power which gives
you about 8.5kw usable. Now that is some serious battery power. Much more research needed.    8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Thanks for the link.

Frank.

Frank [/size]I would love to see his entire install package. Hopefully he will do a breakdown of each item that is needed to use this setup. It might even be possible to use 2 of the Tesla batteries to get to 10kw of power which gives you about 8.5kw usable. Now that is some serious battery power. Much more research needed.       

Serious indeed, and likely far beyond what one could possibly use unless one intends to run an a/c from solar.

I have 6 x 210 ah GC2 batteries for about 630 ah at 12v, of which about 300 ah, or 3600 watts is usable.  We have propane appliances (no residential fridge). With liberal use of the microwave, electric toaster, TV, 3 computers (2 laptops and one slimline desktop that is our media PC), and occasional use of a color laser printer, waffle iron, and a hot air corn popper, we still have no shortage of power.

10kw of solar is really a LOT.

Frank

We see this sort of thing here fairly regularly. Somebody gets enamored with a technology and goes to extremes to make it work in an RV even though a well-done  but more traditional system would do the job effectively and for less cost & effort.  I'm a technology guy and have been for my entire professional career, but analyzing when to apply a new technology is often overlooked in the rush to do the engineering.  Of course, somebody needs to experiment with the engineering to determine if effective practical solutions exist, but it's risky to experiment using the systems you rely on everyday.

Gary that's why I would like to see exactly what he used to make it work. Yep let some one else do the
groundwork to see if it can be readily used. But the thought of the difference in battery weight at about
the same cost for the energy density is intriguing.

Getting close to having to make a decision on batteries for my new solar installation I?ve been following a couple threads here with great interest. I?ve also watched the YouTube vids by Mortons on the Move and their Tesla battery design and install. The light weight and power of this battery is certainly attractive.

However for me it?s too experimental and drastic of a departure from the status quo. Also living in the Midwest the cold temperatures could present a challenge. I?d love to go with 12 volt lithium if only the cost wasn?t out of sight. Maybe someday...

Meanwhile guess I?m stuck with heavy lead batteries. Now to figure out which ones.

Tom

But the thought of the difference in battery weight at about the same cost for the energy density is intriguing.

I hear ya, but you can get a lot of the weight advantage simply by switching to 12v lithium batteries. Need to weigh (pun intended) the cost & engineering effort to go to 48v vs the additional benefit of the higher voltage battery pack.

With 12v LI batteries starting to come down in price to be competitive with top-line AGM deep cycles on a usable Amp-Hour basis, the lead-acid vs Lithium decision is getting easier to make. It's the system voltage question that is (at this time) more problematic.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom